Carnegie Mellon vs. Harvey Mudd vs. University of Edinburgh

<p>Hi,
I'm applying to Harvey Mudd (reach), Carnegie Mellon (H&SS, a target if ED2) and Edinburgh (no idea, really, but I applied to degree programs is CS).</p>

<p>Ideally, I'd like to study computer science, however, I very much love the humanities.
I'm a touch worried about the intensity of the curriculum at Harvey Mudd, but I loved the campus and the students. With regards the Carnegie Mellon, I don't have the correct perquisites to apply to the School of CS, but if I did, it would be a reach. Which is just as well, because I'm very interested in their Logic and Computation degree program, As for Edinburgh, I've always wanted to study abroad, and I think this would be an amazing time to do so. Plus, they have an amazing computer science program.</p>

<p>I know that all of these schools are great, but I am concerned about the comparison between a US degree and a Scottish degree.</p>

<p>So the question is, would I be stupid to turn down Mudd or Mellon for Edinburgh? In CMU's case, I am under the impression that it is more well known on a national and global scale than Edinburgh.
Mudd is amazing, hands down, but I'm worried about the classes and it's also a fair reach.</p>

<p>Stats:
ACT: 33 (in everything: math, science, reading and english)
SAT2: Math 2- 780; Math 1- 740 Lit- 690 (will bring this score up this weekend)
Unweighted GPA: 3.3
Note that I have taken 8 honors classes, as my school does not offer AP.
School: Very Competitive Private</p>

<p>I'm applying to Edinburgh as well! :) I hope you don't mind if I follow this thread to see what people say... I am very interested in how Edinburgh is perceived here and how prestigious it is in the US.</p>

<p>Your GPA is 3.3 unweighted? Mudd and Mellon are going to be huge reaches with a GPA like that.</p>

<p>Is your GPA on a 4.0 or 4.3 scale? Whats your weighted GPA?</p>

<p>Yeah, my gpa is a 3.3 out of a 4.0 scale. My school doesn't rank or weight so I have no clue. I know Mudd is a huge reach . . . As for CMU, if I apply to H&SS it (supposedly) isn't that much of a reach. </p>

<p>However, this isn't really a chance me thread . . . any thoughts?</p>

<p>I think the main difference might be:
Do you want to work in the UK or the US?</p>

<p>If you want to work in the US, it would make sense to get a US degree.</p>

<p>You might also consider applying to the University of St. Andrews in Scotland... (3.3/4.0 is one of their minimum entry requirements and about 1/7 or so of its student population are American).</p>

<p>I did consider it- I toured St. Andrews (and Trinity in Dublin as well) I found that I didn't like it as much as Edinburgh. If I'm in the US, then I'm fine with urban / suburban settings. However, if I go to school in Scotland, I will be going as much for the culture as I will the education. Plus, I loved Edinburgh as a city, and St. Andrews, while beautiful, is 6 miles from the nearest train station> Plus, odds are, if you're not a student there you're a retiree.</p>

<p>Probably in at Edinburgh.</p>

<p>@CuberX,
I heard that St. Andrews has a much smaller, and less busy surrounding than Edinburgh. I'd rather go to a uni in a large city so do you think I would like Edinburgh better?
I think we have similar perspectives regarding uni location; I live in the suburbs (but 20 minutes from NYC) and although I don't mind it here, I'd love to go to a larger city where I can be exposed to more culture etc.</p>

<p>I think that if Edinbourough has a well known CS program that will be better than going to overseas schools that don't. I'd guess that will be known in the U.S. if it is so. SMU should be a good choice, and yeah Harvey Mudd has a tough reputation. One of my daughter's friends went there but he never complained.</p>

<p>You should have a rought idea of your class rank, I've been told the GC's do informally say in the student is in the top 10 or so, and if your school is a competitive private that rank will mean a lot combined with the gpa.</p>

<p>Also, just on the subject of studying abroad, you can usually do that for a semester or a year from most schools. Take advantage of it. My daughter went to Budapest Semesters in Math far a semester and it is a great program for U.S. and Canadian students. The U.S. liasion is at St. Olaf College.</p>

<p>@cricket123
I live about 20 mins outside of NYC as well! What are the odds?
I do think you'll love Edinburgh. The campus is a bit spread out, and is not defined like Columbia, but also not completely spread out like NYU. Some of the buildings are beautiful, and others are sort of butt-ugly, in all honesty. However, the city itself is amazing- I was there once over the summer and I was there again just before christmas. They give you a lot of freedom there, and they expect you to use that wisely and responsibly. I personally like that. I got offers from all four of the degree programs I applied to (including a masters program) with the stipulation that I graduate high school.</p>

<p>You'd be stupid to turn down Mudd and CMU for Edinburgh, for CS, or, for going to St Andrews instead of Edinburgh. St Andrews isn't that well-respected for CS, and as a university (than Edinburgh is) in the UK. If you get into Mudd, I'd say pack your things and go!</p>

<p>I think you are ahead of you. When you have all three acceptances, then bring it back here for further discussion.</p>

<p>Carnegie Mellon is #1 in computer science and can hold its own in the humanities. I would suggest that as THE college you should go to.</p>

<p>@CuberX
Really? 20 minutes too? Wow. What a coincidence!
Edinburgh sounds like a really great place to study. :D
What degree programs did you apply to?</p>

<p>@cricket123</p>

<p>I applied to four degree programs:
Masters in informatics, CS and AI, BSc in CS and BEng in CS (all a little redundant but I wasn't aware of that at the time . . .)</p>