Carpet runner on stairs and landing

<p>Why is such a relatively minor project proving so difficult?</p>

<p>So we moved into this house about six months ago. There's a nice two-tiered stairway from the foyer to the upstairs, all hardwood in a neutral honey/brown shade with white balustrades and wood stained rail. Paint is Benjamin Moore Historic collection Manchester Tan. There's a red, black and silver oriental carpet in the entry in front of the front door. The original carpet on the stairs and landing was good quality but ancient and a horrid color. I've pulled it out and am now having a really hard time figuring out what to put in.</p>

<p>Have been working with the proprietor of quite a nice carpeting store in the are. She does a lot of much more expensive homes than my own, or at least that's the impression I'm getting. She is recommending a very colorful patterned carpet - scarlet reds, blacks, golds. Or alternatively, navy blues and reds and golds.</p>

<p>I just think I want something very neutral and textural like a ribbed wool in brown that will work with the hardwood and she is really adamant that this would be a mistake.</p>

<p>My DH -- always a guy who loves a splash of color -- is siding with her. </p>

<p>Has anyone been thru this particular home decorating challenge? It's a little thing but it sort of sets the tone for the house the minute you step in the front door.</p>

<p>Your home sounds lovely! But it seems like there's a lot of neutral earthy brown tones going on already -- the richly colored carpet she's suggesting might give it a little contrast and punch. Otherwise, you may find the ribbed wool brown carpet doesn't add anything to the stairs. </p>

<p>There must be a computer simulator for this kind of thing?</p>

<p>Also -- has the carpet lady been in your home, or has she just shown you things in her showroom? Maybe if she visits, she'll have another idea.</p>

<p>Have you considered just leaving the stairs in hardwood - no carpet. We just built a house and all our staircases are wood with white painted risers - looks beautiful. Just a thought...</p>

<p>sewhappy, as I've mentioned in other decorating discussions, we're in the midst of a very large renovation, including a new staircase. After much research, I chose this carpet for the stair runner.</p>

<p>Masland</a> Carpets - Broadloom</p>

<p>It took me a while to make my final decision. It's a large staircase and I wanted something beautiful but I didn't want it to overwhelm the foyer which is two storeys high. The carpet store that my decorator and I were dealing with urged us to take all of the samples (which were quite large) to the house and actually look at them in the space. This was helpful. The ones that were more bold and colorful, or more patterned, and that I thought I loved most, were not right for the space and I wouldn't have guessed that when I looked at them in the store.</p>

<p>I have a Stark strie green runner on my stairs with a simple gold pattern. My foyer rug is a green oriental, the hall runner is in another pattern and I have a small rug in red by the front door. Nothing matches but it all goes together. I think you'll be happier not going neutral on the stairs. If red is too much try out some samples with a black field and a simple pattern. This is an expensive decision you will live with for many years. Take your time!</p>

<p>Always can depend on CC parent cafe for really informed and smart responses. Thank you.</p>

<p>First of all, yes, the carpet store owner has been to our home and I think she is really struck by a couple of rugs we'e acquired over the years that are really striking. But I just don't think the stairway is the place to pop with color.</p>

<p>The hardwood is in good condition and could be really attractive if we refinished because of staples from prior runners. But in all honesty, after running up and down those stairs for the last month, I want a runner and I think the area rug that isn't wall-to-wall but really nicely sized for the area in the landing upstairs and midway down landing would be so very tactile and just nice to have. Otherwise, whenever someone is on the stairs it just resonates through the house -- even my 9-pound dog!</p>

<p>Alwaysamom, I had really been drawn to the whole Masland line and I really love the patterned neutral-on-neutral you are using. Thank you. I am going back tomorrow to the store and insisting we look closely at that whole product line. It's a great store. They do wonderful binding and precision sizing. But I think I'm sticking to my guns on this. I think the stairway is already somewhat architectural and interesting to look at and does not need a great big color/pattern statement.</p>

<p>Wow. Silliness. I'm not usually so big on the whole decorating thing, but honestly the people in our neighborhood and work and school communities here in NJ have been so wonderful to us that I really want our home to be welcoming and a pleasure to spend time in.</p>

<p>I have an English Wilton runner on my front stairway, which is very bold - red and gold tones. It's similar to these:</p>

<p>Decorex</a> of Wilton Carpet</p>

<p>This is a very classic look, but it has to suit your house. The Wilton runner was very expensive, but it's been in place for almost 15 years now and it looks perfect. I was unsure at first because my taste is pretty low key, but my h actually insisted, and he was really spot on. It's magnificent.</p>

<p>Whatever you choose, make sure it's 100% wool.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I just think I want something very neutral and textural like a ribbed wool in brown that will work with the hardwood and she is really adamant that this would be a mistake.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I tend to agree with your decorator. I just went through this (with my decorator). If you already have nice oriental rugs in the house, putting something that plain on the stairs isn't going to be in keeping with the style of your other rugs. The type of carpet you are describing conveys a sense of casualness, while oriental rugs are always considered more formal. You want something that is going to mesh with your other rugs, particularly if you can see them from the foyer. </p>

<p>I have a navy, red and gold oriental off the foyer in the dining room. I wanted something with blacks and greens on the stairs because I feel like the darker colors wear better. My decorator said it's fine to mix colors, it's really more about scale. For example, since my dining room rug is large scale, I would want something smaller on the stairs. Seeing it all together now, I can see what she means. I originally wanted something plainer on the stairs but it would have taken away from the formal nature of the dining room.</p>

<p>I agree on the 100% wool. In my experience, it wears better.</p>

<p>Great topic! This has been under discussion at our house since we moved into it, dealing with off-white runners on both sets of stairs.....ugh. Thanks for the links!</p>

<p>I tend to agree with the decorator. I love those oriental runners from Wilton -the ones with a border like e2400 or e7674u.</p>

<p>Although I, too, love the oriental runners with the border (I had this in my last house), one way to tone it down a bit is to have it made without the border. That's what I did. Mine is a Stanton carpet runner. A good carpet and rug store can customize rugs and runners any way you want.</p>

<p>We have a leopard print runner on our hardwood stairs. It is so classic. It goes with our traditional decor (and oriental rugs) beautifully.</p>

<p>Sewhappy,
I am on the more neutral, textured, tone on tone side because I am understanding that the stairs are in the same room as the oriental rug- too many brightly colored patterns usually CLASH!
You might be able to pull one of the colors in the oriental rug and find a tone on tone lighter/darker in a small pattern, or just one color in a texture.
I might add that the front staircase is not used all that much in our house, so I have left the beautifully patina'd wood bare. It is on view to anyone at the front door, i.e. any guests. We have an oushak in warm tones in the foyer. The hallway beyond a door and the inner staircase are covered in a golden beigey carpet with a nice texture. We use those stairs most of the time- less noisy!!!</p>

<p>Have fun- I am sure it will be beautiful!</p>

<p>I like gourmetmom's suggestions. When someone already has nice oriental rugs in place, I really like an oriental runner in the same color tones with very simple brass carpet rods. It sounds like you would need two runners, matching or very similar and a coordinating rug for the landing. The landing rug would have to be tacked down. Unless you could find a really long runner and cut/adapt it to the space. You would need something of the same quality as the rugs you already have.</p>

<p>My decorating is skewed to doing period interiors and right now I'm doing 1870's so I'm probably on a different page than most here. I would use an "antique" runner or whatever counts these days as antique in the rug trade. I have a hard time finding something usable and affordable that is really an antique.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The carpet store that my decorator and I were dealing with urged us to take all of the samples (which were quite large) to the house and actually look at them in the space. This was helpful. The ones that were more bold and colorful, or more patterned, and that I thought I loved most, were not right for the space and I wouldn't have guessed that when I looked at them in the store.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes!!!! you have to see choices in place to judge</p>

<p>edit: I think it is lovely when the overall decorating is neutral/ modern traditional with a few very nice antiques or pieces of art... or rugs :)</p>

<p>While a neutral may seem like a good idea, the foot traffic and dirt will begin to show immediately. We have a Karastan 700 series oriental runner (wool) in a patterned multicolor on our stairs. It is about 15 years old and looks better every year. We have it cleaned every other year (DRY method--not WET). Granted, we like an antique feel. But, go for quality. The runner was a by-the-foot purchase, so I'm not even sure what it wound up costing us, but I plan to live here for a long time, and don't have to ever replace it. Have fun choosing!</p>

<p>Went through this about 5 years ago when we had just moved into our previous house. (We moved again 3 months ago.) We'd had all the floors refinished before we moved in. We hadn't planned to put a runner on the stairs to the 2nd floor -- but discovered our dog was slipping a lot on the stairs, AND scratching the wood. These stairs went up from the entry foyer about 6-7 steps to a landing, took a right turn, and went up another 10-12 steps. We had a small oriental in the entryway, and to the left of the foyer was a room with another oriental. We found an oriental runner with coordinating colors and it all worked together extremely well. The really cool thing they did on the installation of the runner is cut the carpet and match up patterns so the runner turned the corner on the landing. We went to one store that told us the only way the landing could be done was to run the carpet up the first set of stairs all the way to the wall, and then start a new piece of carpeting up the second set of stairs. Or, vice versa -- one piece of carpet from the second floor down across the landing to the wall and then another piece down the remaining step. I hated both looks and was thinking of leaving the landing with no carpet. When we found another store that said they installed by piecing the carpet to turn the right angle, we were sold.</p>

<p>So now were in a condo with all hardwood floors. Since we still have the dog, I figured we'd have to carpet the stairs -- but so far, so good!</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>The dealbreaker for us on a carpet runner for our stairs was the cost of the finials, the "brass carpet rods". Depending on how elaborate they are and how many stairs you have, they can significantly increase the price of this home improvement. In the end, we also ended up with the exposed wooden treads and white risers as dwhite mentioned.</p>

<p>^But you don't need rods. I don't have them on my stairs. They just staple the carpet to the treads.</p>

<p>I like the look of the rods, but you certainly don't need them. Especially if you want a more modern look.</p>

<p>Houzz dot com has many, many pages of staircase photos with various types of runners. It might be a good resource for you, sewhappy.</p>