CC transfer, less time for research, is it a problem?

<p>I transferred from a community college to a 4-year college. I spent 2.5 years at the CC, during which time I worked 2 years tutoring math and CS, and a semester as a math TA. Now I am at a four year college and want to do research, to improve my chances of getting into grad school, but I don't have a lot of time. </p>

<p>I've completed one quarter, and have 5 quarters remaining, with one summer in between. I transferred for the spring quarter, so this summer is already a wash.</p>

<p>I know what kind of research I would like to do, I just don't know if I have enough time to get to know my professors, get an advisor, and do any significant research. I've been applying for research assistant positions, but those tend to go to students who the professors already know.</p>

<p>I'm hopeful that I can get 3 quarters of research in, plus the summer. Is that enough to get into good graduate programs?</p>

<p>My CC GPA was 3.69 and my current gpa is 3.67. I may be able to get it up to around 3.8.</p>

<p>I'm interested in PhD programs in applied mathematics or operations research. Do these programs expect the same amount of research experience from someone who started at a CC, and does it help me at all that I worked as a math tutor and TA?</p>