Would love to tap the collective wisdom on 1) whether I’ve accurately categorized the school’s currently on my daughter’s list, and 2) whether there are ideas for additional schools for her to consider that are not in the reach school category! I’d like to find some more options for safeties/targets for her that she could get excited about.
**Demographics: White Female
- US citizen
- State/Location of residency: Illinois
- Type of high school: Suburban public
**Intended Major(s): Not sure yet - potentially business, or possibly something in the social sciences or humanities. Nothing STEM related.
GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
*Unweighted HS GPA: 3.89
- Weighted HS GPA: 4.45
- Class Rank: School doesn’t rank, but from the school report that is sent to colleges, admissions offices could extrapolate that she’s in the top 5%.
- ACT/SAT Scores: PSAT score of 1420. No SAT yet. Didn’t do any prep prior to the PSAT so likely she’ll get something in the high 1400s on the SAT. Scheduled to take the SAT in June and will be doing some test prep this spring.
Will have ten APs by the time of graduation.
APUSH, AP English Lang, AP English Lit, AP French, AP Euro, AP Gov, AP Psych, AP CALC; AP Music Theory, AP Environmental Science
Awards: none as of this year
Heavy musical theatre involvement, choir (school choir and small a cappella group), Varsity Speech Team (three years by senior year- has placed in some competitions); significant part-time work experience starting sophomore year (hostess at a restaurant, and barista at a local coffee shop), takes dance classes; National Honors Society, political internship summer of 2021
Not written yet.
Cost Constraints / Budget: Can afford to send to any school and willing to pay if necessary. Would be nice to have some options with merit aid, but not required. Will not qualify for need-based aid.
- Safety: ?
- Likely: Fordham, Loyola Marymount, Maybe Elon, Maybe Indiana (Bloomington)
- Match: Wake Forest, Occidental, American (would have to demonstrate a lot of interest), Maybe Lehigh, Maybe Wisconsin (Madison)
- Reach: Barnard, Boston College, Northeastern, USC, Notre Dame (legacy), Tufts, Cornell (School of Hotel Administration)
She’s willing/interested in applying ED to the right school- right now that is Barnard, but she hasn’t seen several schools yet that could displace it at the top of her list.
Looking for whether my assessment of these schools as Likely, Matches, and Reaches seems accurate, or if I’m inflating (or deflating) her chances.
Also, looking for other suggestions. I know this list seems somewhat random, but here’s her thoughts right now in terms of what she’s looking for.
- Not sure yet what she wants to study, but possibly business, and loves what she’s learning of Cornell’s Hotel school, but also interested in social sciences or maybe even English. The only thing she knows for sure is no science, engineering, math.
- Would prefer to be in or near a city.
- Would prefer to be in a warmer place than Illinois (but OK with cold if other factors are there).
- Would prefer a larger school (not super interested in small LACs, but there are obviously a couple on her list - she’s toured both Occidental and Barnard and liked both of them very much).
- Would like there to be sports - preferably football. She likes that idea of that type of school spirit.
- Wants a school that at least has a small campus (she eliminated NYU after touring). So, no NYU, BU, George Washington, etc.
- Would prefer to not be in the Midwest, but pretty open to other parts of the country (and this is obviously not critical as she likes Notre Dame).
- She doesn’t want to major in theatre or music, but would love to find a school where she could get involved in musical theatre/choir and maybe an a cappella group.
None of these are hard and fast criteria - but the more any school fits the majority of these preferences the better. She’s visited, and likes: Fordham, Notre Dame, Occidental, Barnard. She’s visited, and didn’t like: Santa Clara University, University of Illinois, and NYU. We’re planning to visit Northeastern, Boston College, Tufts, Wake Forest, USC, and Loyola Marymount this summer.
In addition to thoughts on if I’ve assessed her chances at the schools currently on the list accurately, are there other school suggestions, especially in the safety/likely/target zone? We could obviously come up with many more reach schools that meet her criteria, but we’ve got plenty of those already!