Cell Phones/Freshman Classes Questions

<p>I’m planning on attending UCSB next year and am very excited. I am familiar with the area, having family in Santa Barbara, but realized I don’t remember if my cell phone gets service there. This may be a dumb question, but at least I will know what to expect - what cell phone service works best at SB? I currently have Cingular and like it, but does it get a reasonable signal on campus/around the area? Thanks.</p>

<p>And then regarding my freshman classes I also had a couple questions. When I go to the two-day orientation over summer, and am able to pick my classes, will there be counselors/etc there to help me - because I’m kind of doing this blind. And then also, does one have to take a physical ed class (PE - basketball/swimming/soccer/etc) like you do in high school? </p>

<p>Thanks a lot.</p>

<p>I’ve been using Cingular for two years and haven’t had a problem yet with signals, no matter where I go on campus. I used T-Mobile during my first year, however my signal would grow weak to none at times around Anacapa dorms.</p>

<p>There will be counselors to help you sign up for classes during summer. Also you don’t have to take P.E. classes unless your major relates to it. However, you can for fun.</p>

<p>I hope tmobile would be no trouble in UCSB, since I love tmobile, I don’t really want to switch. They are cheap and give u the most mins and realiable most of the time.</p>

<p>So for people who go to orientation earlier, do they get a better shot at getting the classes they want?</p>

<p>No, they reserve the same portion of classes for each orientation group, so the most popular ones don’t get filled up at the early sessions. You might keep in mind that AP results won’t be in until July, and it would be helpful to know those scores before you register in case you have fulfilled some requirements by passing the test. The students are broken down into groups and each is assigned an advisor. You will register at the end of the orientation, right before you leave.</p>

<p>maybe this will help
<a href=“http://www.commserv.ucsb.edu/residents/cellular_coverage.asp[/url]”>http://www.commserv.ucsb.edu/residents/cellular_coverage.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I know this is somewhat incidental to the original question in this thread, but the subject line screams out for this comment: whatever you do, do NOT use your cell phones in classes (this applies, obviously, everywhere; not just at UCSB). This pertains not only to conversations, but to text messaging and other “silent” uses. This kind of activity is on the rise and is seen as very obnoxious, disrespectful, and inconsiderate by the faculty. You may get away with it at first, but sooner or later, the instructor will embarrass the living daylights out of you.</p>