Chance a kid with a tight budget

<p>So I'm from VA but my dad has to move to TX for a job.</p>

<p>I've always wanted to attend UVA, but it seems as if Rice is my only reputable option as of now.</p>

<p>I want to go to a really good uni so I can get into a good grad school, and in TX, Rice seems like my only option...</p>

<p>Anyways, my first question is, how good is their fin. aid? I have two brothers in college and household income is about 80,000 a year. So I can't really afford anything above 19,000 a year.</p>

<p>STATS!</p>

<p>SAT I: 2200
700 M 750 W 750 CR</p>

<p>SAT II: Bio - 640 (Re-take?)
USH - 730
Lit - 740
Math II - 710</p>

<p>GPA: 3.92 (Upward Trend: F 3.22, S 4.14, J 4.58, S 5.0 (Projected))
UW GPA: 3.69
ACT - N/A</p>

<p>AP Classes (11)
AP Euro - 5, AP Stat (3), AP Lang (4), APUSH (4), AP Bio (4)
Enrolled for AP Lit, AP Comp Sci A, AP Calc AB, AP Gov, AP Physics B, AP Econ (Micro)</p>

<p>EC's
President of Muslim Student Assoc
President of Asian Student Assoc
Preisndet of Science Club
Secretary of Math League
Secretary-General of Model United Nations</p>

<ul>
<li>NHS</li>
<li>Volunteered 250 Hours at Hospital</li>
</ul>

<p>Please if you need more info just ask!!!</p>

<p>Rice is well-known for giving awesome financial aid packages. For example, I'm going to pay less to go there than I did to go to my private high school (i.e. nowhere near $19,000), and my financial situation is relatively similar to yours.
As for your actual chances, your SAT seems low (Bio too), and your ECs are lackluster. I don't know if I woud call just having positions in clubs ECs, unless you are significantly involved in activities with them (if so, certainly make that evident on your application). I would apply ED if I were you.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I want to go to a really good uni so I can get into a good grad school, and in TX, Rice seems like my only option...

[/quote]
I am a big fan of Rice, and have two kids that attended/attend, but you are waaaaayyyy off the mark here. There are many good colleges and universities in Texas, and - given a certain level of work and effort and accomplishment - you can get into a good grad school from any of them. The determining factor for that is YOUR work and effort and accomplishments.<br>
And you should NOT apply ED given your financial aid need; better to apply to a variety of schools and evaluate the financial aid packages and/or merit awards when they arrive. :)</p>

<p>Our family income is around yours, and I am going for 11kish a year, which was almost exactly our Fafsa EFC.</p>

<p>I disagree with the poster who told you to retake. 2200 is well within the middle 50%, you are going to be a TX applicant (which helps). I don't remember if you had to send a science SAT II. If you do, retake the bio. If not, just send the other 3 you've taken. They're fine.</p>

<p>
[quote]
TX applicant (which helps).

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Texas residency does not help for Rice. Rice wants geographic diversity (because around 50 percent of the kids are from Texas), so its more likely to take kids who live out of state rather than instate. In fact, I'd advise the op to not establish Texas residency until he/she has been accepted by Rice. Apply as a Virginia applicant to Rice to increase your chances.</p>