Hi all, as an in-state Georgia student, I’ve been trying and dreaming of going to tech ever since middle school. Especially as a student interested in CS, it’s really great that one of the best CS schools in the nation is in my state, so it would be great if y’all could help me and tell me if my chances are high of getting into tech.
Demographics: Asian (Indian) male in Georgia. I attend a competitive, decently sized public school. My family income is around 200k a year.
Intended Majors: Right now, I am mainly interested in computer science.
SAT Subject Tests: Math II (800) and BioM (800)
GPA and Rank: Unweighted GPA: 4.00 and Weighted GPA: 4.62. Rank: 4/590
Coursework: A ton of AP courses and some dual enrollment (over the summer).
These are the courses I have taken so far: AP Human (4), AP Stat (5), AP Euro, AP Bio (5), AP CSP (5), AP Psych (5), AP USH(5), AP Physics I(5), AP Seminar(4), AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC(5), AP CSA(4), AP Lang(4), DE Humanities, DE Literature, DE Government (DE at GSU).
- Gold Level Presidential Volunteering Service Award
- AP Scholar Awards
- 1st Place wins at the regional level for HOSA and FBLA. 1st - 3rd Place at the state level for HOSA and FBLA (maybe I can place at the national's conference?).
- Winner of state stock market game
- Robotics wins at the regional and state level. My team also went to VEX Worlds and we placed.
- UGA Certificate of Merit
- Triple crown award (3 varsity letters)
- Varsity Track and Field and a Team Captain
- Varsity Cross Country and a Team Captain
- Treasurer for school's VIBHA club - helped organize volunteer events; personally raised almost 1k.
- VP of Membership for FBLA chapter
- Vice President of Mu Alpha Theta
- Founder of Cubing Club at school
- Summer Activity - I volunteered at rural villages in India for 7 weeks over the summer (taught basic English), and then back home, I raised 700 dollars for the schools at these villages.
- Robotics - I was one of the programmers for my robotics team, and as I said, we won awards at the regional, state, and international level.
- Internship - I teach students basic programming fundamentals and languages to kids with an education company. I also have another internship with a company wear I do IT stuff.
- I develop my own apps (through flutter) and have developed some notable apps so far.
- Member of Academic Bowl and Coding Club
- Member of NHS, SNHS, Mu Alpha Theta
- I have a ton of volunteering hours and have volunteered at many organizations.
I know my ECs are very weak. However, I am hoping that my strong stats will “make up” for them.
One other thing is that I will be taking GT Math this year, and I have heard that this improves your chances of getting into Tech (if you do well in the class). I believe I can do well in the class (a low-mid A) as I have always been kind of a math student. Actually, the GT math teachers said that the admit rate for students who did GT distance math in HS is close to 90% (but I do know students who did GT math and got rejected, so I’m still unsure).
I think my LORs will be decent but not too great. However, I think I can grind out a pretty good essay, hopefully 7-8/10.
Also, I will be applying to GT through Early Action 1 - this is new this year and only restricted to Georgia Students (which I think would mean that in state students are more prioritized than ever this year).