ok hi everyone !! i know i’m basically doing this type of post once a month at this point but college app season is coming up and I’m getting increasingly anxious lol. so I’m back.
- US citizen
- State/Location of residency: California
- Type of high school: large mediocre public
- Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional): female, Asian (first generation Chinese-American)
- Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.): for some colleges I’m considered a first-gen (parents graduated from Chinese unis)
Intended Major(s) Poli Sci / International Relations (looking to go into journalism)
GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
- Unweighted HS GPA: 3.95
- Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.1 (I think 1 pt for APs and 0.5 for UC honors)
- UC GPA: 4.33
- Class Rank: n/a, no percentages either
- ACT/SAT Scores: 1470 1st take (750 EBRW, 720 M). retaking in august
- APs: taking AP Lang, APUSH, AP Chinese this year. presumably taking AP Spanish, AP Lit, AP Gov, AP Stats next year. no scores yet, obviously
- By the time I graduate I’ll have 80 language credits (8 language courses, essentially). Also will have taken 4 years of math but only 2 years of science. not looking to go into STEM but probably a concern for top colleges?
- QuestBridge College Prep Scholar
- By the time I graduate, probably Seal of Triliteracy (English, Chinese, Spanish)
- Regional Gold Key, Critical Essay - Scholastic Art & Essay contest 2020
- Regional Honorable Mention, Critical Essay - Scholastic Art & Essay contest 2021
- Los Condecorados - top honor for juniors in our school. not sure how many get this but I’m guessing around 20-30 in a class of 500-600, nominated by teachers over 3 rounds of deliberation
Extracurriculars (will include presumptive 12th grade positions)
- Speech & Debate (9, 11 - general member [ did not participate in 10th grade due to personal circumstances ] 12 - probably will be event captain, maybe JV chair)
- Red Cross (11 - general member, 12 - art chair)
- FARMS: local student-run organization to feed local families + help in food drives (11-12 - English Outreach Coordinator)
- AP Ambassadors: tutoring, basically (11-12 - Publicity/Communications Co-Chair)
- Link Crew (12, I think I have a pretty good chance, results should come out within the next month)
- Key Club (11 - general member, 12 - hopefully art chair? if not oh well)
- School newspaper (12)
- will represent my school at CA Girl’s State this summer, also waiting on results from QB-affiliated summer programs (YYGS, UChicago pre-college, Notre Dame pre-college, Pioneer research program)
I’m a pretty strong essay writer and I have great mentors so i’d guess an 7-9/10. depending on the prompt, some may not be as effective because my dad will be reading all my essays. hoping for strong LORs, already have a strong LOR lined up from my debate coach. maybe 8/10 for them collectively
Cost Constraints / Budget
need major aid. FAFSA EFC is roughly estimated to be no more than 2k. some (very very very roughly estimated) NPCs mostly just tell me to contribute by work-study, ranging from 2k - 8k in work-study. will calculate this a bit more specifically for more colleges.
will also be applying through QB next year.
Safety (certain admission and affordability)
ASU (may use WUE and try to aim for scholarships)
UC Irvine (any scholarships)
UC Davis (regents?)
GWU (huge maybe)
Stanford (my dream school, probably through QB)
UCLA (my ““realistic”” dream school, regents?)
UC Berkeley (regents?)
Stanford (the only definite one I have on my list right now)
others I’m considering: Boston University, Columbia, Princeton, Brown, Northwestern, Northeastern, Rice, UPenn, Yale, Swarthmore.
ANY insight is greatly appreciated !!! let me know if I should consider any schools or reconsider my categorization. for QB schools, I have very little definite school choices since it’s binding but I may apply to most? some? of these if it comes to the RD round. another thing to note is that my dad is strongly opposed to LACs and any institutions that end in “College”. this may complicate my applications process but I’m not sure by how much. my debate coach has also nominated me for Posse but I’m not sure how that’s going to work out for me.