Chance/Match Me: HS Junior switching intended major from Engineering to Finance/Business, Bay Area, Mid ECs, Decent academics [CA resident, 3.92 GPA, 1560 SAT]

Guidelines

  • Please check back to answer questions.
  • Please do not share identifying information.
  • Please do not include your race.

Demographics

  • US Citizen
  • State/Location of residency: California
  • Type of high school (or current college for transfers): Public

Cost Constraints / Budget
No budget

Intended Major(s)
Econ/business

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

  • Unweighted HS GPA: 3.92
  • Weighted HS GPA: School doesn’t calculate weighted
  • Class Rank: School doesn’t publish
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1560 SAT

List your HS coursework

(Indicate advanced level, such as AP, IB, AICE, A-level, or college, courses as well as specifics in each subject)

  • English: English 12
  • Math: Calc 3, AP Calc, Lin Alg, Diff eq
  • Science: AP Chem, AP Bio, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C
  • History and social studies: APUSH, AP World, AP US Gov
  • Language other than English: AP Spanish
  • Visual or performing arts: Marching Band
  • Other academic courses:

Awards

Extracurriculars
Research paper published in NHSJS
Business team member in FRC team
Research at Hofstra University
Submitting project to ISEF this year
Volunteering at local aviation museum
Eagle Scout
Led Financial Literacy Workshops at my local library teaching middle/elementary school students the basics
*

Essays/LORs/Other
Calc BC Teacher: 8/10
Physics 1 teacher: 7/10

Schools
*
The dream for me is NYU or UMich but I don’t know how likely that is considering my EC profile. I’m trying to go to an IB target school but I’m not sure what is realistic for me.*

Schools like Columbia, Harvard, & UPenn (Wharton) are additional “reach” options to consider, in addition to NYU (Stern) & U.Mich (Ross). High percentage placement rates & massive alumni networks for top-tier IB.

No money or no limits?

No limits

What do you mean by “switching to finance”?

I’ve been planning to apply for engineering so far so all of my ECs are based off that and I don’t really have anything in finance.

This might be a problem at Wharton but maybe not.

I don’t see why you can’t get into NYU or UMich - but like anyone, you need that balanced list. That might be Arizona State - with the IBIS program which isn’t an easy in but I imagine you’d be selected. Linked below.. But there are many names, that on a per capita basis, outperform. And don’t forget, IB hires from many majors, not just finance and not just bachelor.

btw - there are various IB target lists and they don’t all name the same schools - because IB is bigger than 4 or 5 banks.

So you might see the Peak list from 2023 - and is there any doubt that you wouldn’t get into PSU Smeal or SMU Cox (I mean, no guarantees but I’d be shocked if you didn’t).

Or how about the list below that which is based on per capita data., which lists NYU at 21, doesn’t list Michigan, but has names like Babson, Bentley, Fordham, Baruch, Richmond, and more - so those might make good safeties too. And there your ability to pay will help.

And there’s kids from schools all over in IB - whether U Houston or Va Tech or wherever - so - where there’s a will, there may be a way, even if not easy.

I think your ECs are fine - Eagle scout, volunteering at the aviation museum, business team member, etc. - those are fine for any major.

Good luck

Investment Banking Industry Scholars | ASU W. P. Carey