Chance me- 3.87 MI junior for Biology [molecular/cell/developmental, not pre-med] at selective colleges! [4.0 GPA for University of Michigan, <$15k]

Hey everyone! This is my first post here so sorry if any formatting or anything is incorrect.

I’d be so honored if one of you would be able to chance me for admission into Bryn Mawr’s ED1 pool (or really any of the schools on my list). It’s my absolute dream school and frankly one of two (along with Lafayette) that have a net cost estimate that works well for me, which has definietly made me really stressed about getting in.

Demographics

  • US citizen
  • Female
  • Michigan
  • Mid-size public HS- avg. SAT score is about 1000 here, if that matters

Cost Constraints / Budget
I will need a LOT of aid :frowning:

Family can afford up to about 15k a year.

Intended Major(s)

Biology (Not pre-med- hoping to get into biotech), CMB (where available), MDCB (at UM)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

  • Unweighted HS GPA: 4.16/4.33- school uses 4.33 scale but adjusted 3.87/4.0
  • GPA according to UM’s scale- 4.0
  • Weighted HS GPA: no clue*-* school does not report
  • Class Rank: school does not report
  • ACT/SAT Scores: Not yet taken- aiming for 1400-1470 (I have multiple takes thanks to my parents and will study my butt off for this score if needed​:crossed_fingers:)

List your HS coursework

9 APs by senior year

  • English: 4 yrs, all AP/Honors
  • Math: 4 yrs, up to AP Stats/ AP Precalc (senior year)
  • Science: 4 yrs, 9 classes total- AP Bio, AP Chem, Microbio, Physio, Hon Bio, Hon. Chem, Hon. Physics, Earth Science, AP Env. Science
  • History and social studies: 3 yrs, 2 APs
  • Language other than English: 5 yrs, up to AP Spanish/5
  • Visual or performing arts: 2 yrs

Awards

NHS
AP Scholar with Honor (predicted)

College Board’s School Recognition Award (predicted)

Extracurriculars

150 hrs citizen science research (classified data, contibuted to research initiatives)- Over 2 school years

Pharmacogeonomics article published in student-led STEM magazine

Group AP Env. Science research project (collaboration with local instiution, presented at symposium)- 1 school yr

School environmental club (fundraised, improved schools “green-ness”)- 2 yrs

Leadership intern @ local STEM summer camp (predicted)- 1 summer

Color guard performer in marching band- 3 yrs

Job- Golf caddy- 3 yrs

Poetry club/in school publication- 3 yrs

Church youth group (did frequent volunteer work/assembled sanitation packages) - 3 yrs

Guitar (self-taught jazz guitar)- 5 yrs

Lighting operator for 9 school productions- 4 yrs

Disc golf club (founding member) - 2yrs

Essays/LORs/Other
Essays are predicted to be good(?)

One LOR is good; from a science teacher- the other is most likely “mid” :frowning: I wasn’t the best student in this teacher’s class, but I had no one else to ask

Will be doing optional interviews and essays when possible- I need the boost

Schools

Genuinely unsure where I’ll get in

  • Extremely Likely: Wayne State
  • Likely-ish: Michigan State, DePauw, U of South Florida
  • Toss-up: Mount Holyoke, St. Olaf, Whitman
  • Lower Probability: U of Michigan, Lafayette (ED2), Kenyon, Bryn Mawr (ED1)

Thank you all so much for reading!!

1 Like

Oops- I’ll be applying EA to every school with an EA pool- the rest are RD if not specified

1 Like

How far are you willing to travel for college?

Anywhere in the states really

1 Like

I would just say that if you are willing and are close enough, there’s a couple of schools in Indiana that not only offer a lot of financial aid but are also very good.

1 Like

I’m going to Anderson University, but Ball State and Indiana University are also good schools that accepted and offered me aid. I had a GPA of 3.5 with no ACT/SAT scores, so you should be able to do good.

1 Like

I’ll definitely check them out, thanks!!

1 Like

Yup. Also, if you decide on any of the colleges I listed, I can help you get in. My brother is the director of admissions at Anderson, and I have other friends in Ball State and Indiana University.

Did the net price calculators for Wayne State, Michigan State, DePauw, and University of Michigan show affordable net prices?

DePauw was good, but a little higher than BMC/Lafayette. The rest were just over what my parents have said is “okay” for a net price. Although some NPCs don’t include merit scholarships, so that could be a factor too.

Additionally, even with tuition off at UM, my parents have said it still might be slightly too expensive :frowning:

1 Like

Your GPA is 8.7 right? Anderson would give you a $22,000 Scholarship just for applying, But I understand if that’s still a stretch.

Replied to the wrong thread sorry.

This will be your issue - BM and others. Why? BM meets need but is need aware as is Lafayette. That means, they may consider your finances (how much you need) in their admission decision.

Has your family filled out the net price calculator?

It will tell you what is expected to be paid.

What is your family income? If under $65K-ish, you might consider Questbridge.

Schools like Wayne State and Michigan State will be easy ins - but the question becomes, can you afford them. Living in a dorm alone is $15K so if not affordable, they’re not for you.

So please don’t say - I need a lot of aid. Come back with how much can your family afford a year? $10K, $30K, $50K, etc.

You need a formal budget.

Thanks

Welcome | Net Price Calculator

1 Like

income is above 65k a year so I don’t qualify for Questbridge unfortunately.

I really appreciate the suggestions though- I updated my post with what we can afford.

2 Likes

Is $15k per year the maximum parent contribution? If so, then you may be able to attend a college that costs up to $20k per year with a federal direct loan or some part time and summer work earnings. Up to $25k per year may be doable with a federal direct loan and some part time and summer work earnings, but that would be a stretch budget with little or no room for error or financial bad luck.

Thanks - really - without the formal budget, it’s hard for anyone to know.

This year, Michigan State was about $31K for tuition, room and board only. There’s books, transport, fun.

It’s hard to know how much merit one gets - they don’t have a clear chart - but I think there is some.

BM is over $90K - so you might look at Agnes Scott in Atlanta as a much cheaper option for women only.

Of 380 first year last year, 210 got need aid - on average - $60,057. Actually $67K but $7K was a loan and I don’t count loans - which are bad news - so they do give a fair share in aid.

Lafayette gave 312 of 696 - on average $54K in grants. it’s cost is $92.5K.

Both offer merit aid as well - but usually you cannot stack - meaning use both - you’d get the higher of the two - although I’m not sure at those two specifically. Some do allow stacking.

But these would probably factor your merit into your need - is my guess.

Hm- I think 15k might be the limit after work-study and a federal direct loan. (as in they would not be able to pay 15k.) So sorry I’m being so confusing- I don’t know much about fin. aid, and they haven’t been able to explain the limits exactly.

I really appreciate your help by the way. Ty

BMC and Lafayette were both 9k according to their NPC’s, and Agnes Scott was actually at around 24k w merit (but w/o merit scholarships one has to apply for).

well this is bad news lol

but again thank you so much for all the info.

That probably means about $5-6k from your parents + $5.5k federal direct loan + $3.5-4.5k from your part time and summer work earnings.

1 Like

Commonly, colleges appear to allow merit scholarships to replace student loan and expected work earnings first, but then reduce the college’s own grants. But colleges do vary on this matter.

1 Like