Hey! I’m Hana, and I live in Northern Virginia in the D.C Metropolitan area. I attend a public school that is ranked 3rd or 4th in the best Virginia public schools. I’m only a junior and haven’t yet taken the SAT, but I’m hoping to get anywhere from a 1200 to a 1400, depending on how much I study between now and the next test, and whether I plan on retaking it in August. I don’t plan on taking any SAT Subject Tests or the ACT, and that’s simply my personal choice. I know that Brown and Harvard recommends two SAT Subject Tests, but as it poses a financial issue, I’m not going to be able to take them. Additionally, Brown is my top choice out of all of the universities/colleges listed above. Alright, now that I got all of that out of the way… Chance me!
GPA: 4.087 (predicted to be 4.36 by the end of junior year)
- My main sport is taekwondo, and I’m a 1st Degree 4th Gup Black Belt currently. I go to taekwondo classes 2-3 times a week for 1 hour each session. I’ve been doing taekwondo since 2011, and plan to continue in through my senior year.
- I am in my school’s National Honor Society (NHS) and have only joined this year. I plan on staying in NHS for senior year.
- I am in my school’s National Art Honor Society (NAHS) and have only joined this year. I plan on staying in NAHS for senior year.
- I am in my school’s Science National Honor Society (SNHS and have only joined this year. I plan on staying in SNHS for senior year.
- I am in my school’s Science Olympiad and have only joined this year. I am unsure if I plan on staying in Science Olympiad for senior year.
- I am in my school’s MSA (Muslim Student Association) and have been for all of my years in highschool. I plan on staying in MSA for senior year.
- I work at my taekwondo center and have been working there since the summer before junior year (June 2017). I work during summer vacation as well as the school year. I work twice a week for 4-5 hours at a time.
- I complete 20 hours of volunteer work for my NHS requirement each year (10 per semester).
- I complete 10 hours of volunteer work for my SNHS requirement each year (science-related volunteering, 5 per semester).
- I often volunteer at my taekwondo center on Saturdays for Adopt-A-Highway clean-ups and serving food to homeless in the community.
- My father was accepted into and attended the New York Institute of Technology. He has graduated from NYIT.
- My oldest sister was accepted into and attended Brown University. She has graduated from Brown.
- My middle sister was accepted into and planned to attend U-PENN, but was unable to due to her health conditions. She currently is a senior at UVA and will graduate in May.
- I have confirmed one from my IB Math SL II teacher; she loves me even though I’m not interested in pursuing math (don’t worry, I have an A- in her class currently). I’m expecting it to be good as she is very cheery and comments often that I’m a hard-worker and likes my attitude in her class.
- I have confirmed one from my Spanish 2 teacher; I had her last year as well and she has known me for two consecutive years; very kind woman, I consistently have upheld an A/A- in her class for the past two years; she knows me well for my strong work-ethic and consistency; she always says it’s a marathon not a sprint when it comes to education, and that I’m a good example of what it means to be a student who does their job.
- Lives in suburban location (DMV area)
- Household makes about 100k-110k a year
- Doing the IB Curriculum and planning on receiving my Diploma when I graduate
- Very artsy; plan on making my college applications based around my love for art and taekwondo as those are the two defining factors about me
AP Comparative Government - 5
(I have the IB Math SL exam coming up in May, as well as many other IB exams in senior year)
I’m not sure what else to add or if I’m missing anything. If I am missing anything, please just ask and I’ll try my best to provide an answer. Additionally, I’m interested in the Dual-Degree at Brown and RISD but am unsure if I’ll qualify. It never hurts to apply, honestly, even if it’s a 3% acceptance rate.
Other than that, I’d like to hear what you have to say! Please chance me seriously, as I’m starting to get involved with college preparations for the Common App and what have you. Also, please provide a reason for your chance, because I want to know what is a “stand-out” feature about me and maybe capitalize on that in my application. Thank you so much!