I would research these programs, both the prerequisites and actual courses, and decide whether the math and science classes are something you are comfortable with. Some schools might be a better fit for you than others.
thanks for clarifying!
Yes, if doing an MPH is a possibility, look into the prerequisites and requirements for those programs.
This uptrend is going to help you quite a bit. I know that this was not easy. Congratulations!
Do the transfer advisors at your community college agree that these are safeties? I would also wonder what they say about your chances at San Diego State (which looks likely to me, but I am not from that area).
If so, then you have two or three great options. UCR and UCI are excellent. I do not know San Diego State well but have in general have heard very good things about the CSUs. This would indeed allow you to only otherwise apply to, well, pretty much wherever you want to apply, which appears to be reaches.
First make sure that you really have at least one and preferably two or three solid safeties.
Then my suggestion would be to take a close look at your long list of reaches, and cut the list a lot. I would cut it in half. Look at the required courses to graduate from each university with your major. Understand that highly ranked schools (such as your reaches) are going to include quite a few highly competitive students. Here “highly competitive” might include some students who will talk about how much they want to do well, and some quiet students who just sort of quietly do their work but who are very good at whatever they are studying. I would not think of these highly ranked universities as “better” compared to your probable safeties. They might however have an even higher percentage of academically very strong students.
Just as one example, you say:
You have Stanford on your list of schools to apply to. The average math SAT score for incoming students at Stanford is 790. Stanford is STEM heavy. Is this the right school for you? Only you can decide, but you might want to look at what classes are required for your major before you apply.
Good plan. Pay attention to your budget, and try to at least avoid debt for your bachelor’s. If possible saving a bit to help pay for a master’s might be a good idea if it is feasible.
Your in-state public options are really very good. I would not pay significantly more for other schools on your list unless you can do this and still afford to pay for an MPH. It really is possible to get a bachelor’s at any university on your list and then get a master’s degree at a very good program, including at some very highly ranked and well known universities.
I’m planning on applying sociology for stanford which has data analysis/stats as its primary stem courses for the major. ive already completed these courses in cc and recieved As in them. ive struggled with math in the past (such as calc) but i find stats more digestable lol.
public health is an impacted major at SDSU so i would consider it more of a target than a safety
Thank you! ![]()
Just to be clear…the 3 W’s are not required courses for TAG? And you did not retake the W classes?
I would encourage you to write a short and succinct explanation for the W’s. I would not go with STEM/math classes are hard for you.
If you have a sure fire bet and it sounds like UCR and maybe UCI are, then yeah - take your shot. And if your SAT doesn’t measure after you get your score, you can always decide to drop the app - as it’s not due til Spring (March 15).
You are applying knowing it’s a reach beyond reach so your mindset is right - so sure, take that shot. The worst they can say is no. Actually the worst they can say is yes and you can’t afford it but…here’s hoping if they say yes, you can afford it.
But do think about - how does a sociology major set you up for your MPH vs. a public health major? I’m not saying it doesn’t - but you might check into that. They have two sociology tracks. I’m guessing the more quant one will be a better outcome (but maybe not better for you).
In the most recent CDS, 102 got in (of 4532 applicants) - so - while it’s unlikely, you never know.. Someone is getting in. It’s an application to the school and not the major, according to the website.
Good luck.
For what it is worth, Stanford has historically focused on non-traditional students for its transfer intake.
For some ucs they require chem and calc is just a GE at my cc. i retook all and got a B in chem and calc 1 and an A in calc 2
i also took gen chem 2, honors cell and molecular bio 1 & 2, and well as two stats courses in more recent semesters which I got As in all. I’m hoping that will show an upward trend in STEM courses
First off, the HS GPA is not horrible and shouldn’t factor in for admission. One of the main reasons for community college is to figure out some of the academic stuff. Withdrawals aren’t horrible either.When did the 3Ws happen, you mentioned the courses, maybe I missed the terms.
they happened in the first 2 terms
fall 2025 and spring 2026