Hi! I’m hoping to get some honest feedback on my chances as a transfer student, especially given my weak academic record
intended major: public health / sociology, planning on getting MPH
demographics: black, female, middle class, first gen american (my parents are immigrants but they both went to college in my native country, so im not a first gen college student)
academic background:
-
high school GPA: 3.3 UW / 3.7 W
-
my hs GPA was brought down significantly by C’s in math and in college my 2 B’s were in Calc and Gen Chem 1
-
took no AP tests nor did I take the SAT/ACT (planning on taking SAT in December for private schools)
-
community college GPA: 3.92
-
biggest concern is my 3 W’s on my community college transcript
Extracurriculars / activities:
-
founded a health equity-focused club on campus (we did BP screenings at a local shelter, made womens health kits for DV shelters, mental health event on campus, food drive)
-
Main EC: I’m currently transforming the idea behind that club into a student-led non-profit built around the idea that students should be empowered to create change in the public-health landscape within their communities. I’ve completed the paperwork and created a website, but theres still a lot more work that needs to go into it. it also has one additional chapter on another campus besides the one at my own school so im excited to see where it goes in the next few months
-
Worked with a professor on research focused on tobacco use/health equity. this led to me getting into a competitive physician mentored tobacco/health equity research program (~2% rate)
-
Research presenter at public health conference through the research i did, im working on publishing a paper with the professor i work with soon.
-
I have a leadership role within a healthcare access nonprofit focused on health literacy, i mainly work in marketing
-
Community outreach summer internship at a community clinic through an internship program at my school that was kinda competitive (~10% rate) I helped develop materials for health week that focused on providing free health services and other resources for homeless and low-income communities
-
I had a certified medical assistant job for about a year, and then i got offered a role at the same community clinic i interned at so now im a medical assistant there (ill put both jobs on my app)
-
Cardio-oncology research internship last year which was mostly just literature review
-
Independent research project on sleep deprivation in college students and its effects on health, with a research presentation at my school
-
Tutor/mentor for unstably housed students
-
Hospital volunteering last year
-
im in the Honors program and on Dean’s List
-
BLS/CPR and CCMA certifications
My main focus for this semester is getting my community college GPA as strong as possible and continuing to grow my nonprofit.
I know the high school GPA and 3 W’s are horrible and that my school list is pretty unrealistic but I wanted to give it a shot especially since i didnt really apply to much schools during high school (i was pretty much set on cc)
Schools I’m considering: UC Berkeley, UCSB, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UCSD, UC Riverside, USC, Cornell, Columbia, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Dartmouth, Stanford, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, UMich, Notre Dame, Emory, Georgetown, UNC Chapel Hill, NYU, San Diego State