Hi everyone! I’m currently looking into undergraduate programs for finance or managerial economics, as I intend to pursue a career in investment banking. NYU Stern caught my eye as it’s in an ideal location for internships/jobs during my semesters and is relatively close to home, meaning that I would be able to commute which eliminates the cost of room and board. Cornell is appealing because it boasts the Ivy League name and prestige, and I heard it’s also good with providing students with internship and job opportunities. UMich Ann Arbor has another highly ranked business program that I’ve been looking into and also has a very nice campus, however it is further away and more expensive. A vast amount of graduates from my high school have attended NYU, Cornell, and UMich, which makes me wonder if these schools look favorably upon students from my school. I’m not sure how this impacts my chances at getting admitted, if at all.
Demographics : Male, attending a public high school in a school district ranked top 10 in the nation. Both parents went to NYU and about 5 or 6 other extended family members also attended NYU for various different majors.
Intended Major(s) : Finance and Economics, possibly Business Administration as well
GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
- UW: 93.84, school places GPA on the 100 scale. I know my UW GPA is a pretty low but I think I might still have a shot at some of the T20-30 undergraduate business programs
- W: 98.49
- Class Rank: School doesn’t officially rank but I am within the top 10-20% of my class
- ACT/SAT Scores: 1570 (800 Math, 770 EBRW) taken once and I do intend to submit.
- AP World History
- AP Statistics
- AP Psychology
- AP Language and Composition
- Honors Algebra
- Honors Earth Science
- Honors Chinese
- Honors Geometry
- Honors Biology
- Honors English 10
- Honors Algebra 2
- Honors Chemistry
- Honors Pre-Calculus
I plan to take AP Government and Politics, Economics, Literature, Living Environment, and Calculus AB in my Senior year
Awards and Extracurriculars (will be a bit vague here, sorry haha)
- DECA State Finalist and Vice President
- Treasurer of a club that highlights Asian cultural traditions and performs for audiences throughout the year
- Leader of a Taekwondo Club for 3 years, host practices and choreograph performances
- Paid Tutor for SAT, Math, English, Science, and Social Studies
- Paid Intern for a medical appliance company, where I oversee product sales and data using various programs, write media pitches to journalists, etc.
- Varsity Fencing Team Starter: team is ranked 1st in the region
- Scholastic award for Chinese study from the American Legion, featured in a newspaper.
- I think that my essays are quite strong as of now, but I will wait until they’re fully revised and reviewed before I judge them. I also think that my LORs will be very strong as my teachers like me and have made several positive comments about my work ethic and personality.
I’m considering applying ED to NYU Stern as its undergraduate business program is highly ranked on US News and because of its location. The only downside for me is the lack of the college experience, meaning the campus and dorming with other students. I really value the experience but I would definitely consider sacrificing it for a better opportunity.
Some other schools I have been considering are Cornell, UMich, Carnegie Mellon, BC, WashU, Binghamton, and Baruch. I’m trying to decide between ED Cornell, NYU, or UMich. Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any recommendations. Thank you so much.