Chance Me: Aspiring film or theater student, 2.5 GPA [AZ resident, low income]

Demographics

  • US citizen, first gen college student
  • Mexican-american
  • AZ highschooler
  • I attend a public high school.

Cost Constraints / Budget
Truthfully, I’m going to have to rely a lot on finical aid as I come from a single parent (mom is deceased) household that’s already low income. I am aiming for in-state schools.

Intended Major(s)

Majors/areas of interest: Film/TV, English, Gender Studies, Theater and Psychology.

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

  • Unweighted HS GPA: 2.4 GPA (I’ve been hospitalized twice throughout HS, and fell behind both times.)

List your HS coursework

  • English: Honors English 9, On-level English 10, AP Language and Comp, AP Literature (hopefully)
  • Math: Algebra I, Geometry, Intermediate Algebra, Algebra II (hopefully)
    • Science: Biology, Physics, 1 sem of Bioscience, Taking 1 sem of anatomy/physiology over the summer
      • History and social studies: World History, US History, Gov/Econ (hopefully)
  • Language other than English: Spanish I and II
    • Visual or performing arts: Intro Theater, 2x Intermediate Theater (sophomore and junior year), Advanced Theater (next year, hopefully)
    • Intro Photography, Yearbook design

Extracurriculars
- Member of International Thespian society since freshman year

Schools
University of Arizona (dream school, would love to go for film!)

Open to suggestions.

Do you live within commuting distance of any school - because low income, you still have to pay room & board, etc.

Have you met the U of A requirements (or will you):slight_smile: dmission Requirements at a Glance*

  • 4 years of English

  • 4 years of mathematics

  • 3 years of lab science

  • 2 years of the same second language

  • 2 years of social sciences (1 year of American history)

  • 1 year of fine arts or 1 year of career and technical education (CTE)

I think U of A had a guarantee with certain stats but no more.

Obviously you need to look at ASU and Northern Airzona too. ASU requires an 1120 SAT, as an example. It has other items that could get you in - a 3.0 or top 25% but I’m assuming these aren’t happening.

You also have access, but again, you have income limitations - to WUE.

For example, UNM (tuition) would be $12,884, and Weber State (north of Salt Lake $8652). You do have room and board too - so that takes them mid to high 20s.

Finally, check the curriculum. For example, if you wanted film production, you’d apply in the Fall of Sophomore year.

You really need to get your budget in order - to understand.

Here is the Arizona Promise. I don’t see that it covers room and board - figure $13-18K, etc.

Hence, a community college near home might be a first step.

Best of luck - and I don’t know if you can get in with your GPA, but keep working hard, and don’t take classes (AP) if they are beyond your ability.

I wish you well.

1 Like

Thank you for your response and advice! I live around 45 minutes away from the U of A so commuting is an option if I get accepted and decide to attend.

I’m definitely going to ask my father more about budget and everything, but thank you.

Have you looked into what kind of film/theater programs are available at community colleges near your home?

Even if you could get into UofA, a 45 minute commute each way would take a big bite out of your day. Combining that with rehearsal schedules, for example, could be very tough. A lot of community colleges have excellent performing arts programs, and tuition costs are a lot lower too. You could save your available funds for after you transfer to a four-year program, and potentially have very good options if you do well in the first two years. You can definitely build your resume/portfolio at a CC, as well as get a stronger GPA that will position you well for transfer.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.