Chance me William and Mary please
3.75 W GPA (Trending upward, poor freshman year, 3.83 last 2 years, currently 3.9 during 7th semester).
31 ACT (33 English and reading, 29 Math and science)
6 AP Courses Taken (Macroeconomics, comparative politics, U.S. government, Physics, Statistics, Environmental Science).
Most likely political science and or Business major
White male from Grand Rapids, Michigan.
National Honors Society
DECA
Senior Advisory Board (similar to stud gov group)
Basketball for 2 years
Many hours volunteered with Kids food basket, Grand Rapids Home for Veterans, local soup kitchen, cancer hospital of Grand Rapids.
Letter of recommendation from teachers are both outstanding and give very in depth personal description.
Letter of recommendation from a state level senator
Nominated to United States Naval Academy by my district’s house of reps member. (Notified admission counselor about receiving it and had it added to application).
Honest answers greatly appreciated, rather have a realistic idea than be overconfident from kind but not true responses.
not your question but mine: why would you put on an application to W&M that you are also applying to the USNA? Obviously, except for ED / SCEA applications, colleges assume that you are applying to other schools, but why would you say “I have been nominated to this very cool thing, but just in case I don’t get it I’ll take you” ?
Also, unless your state level senator knows you in a meaningful way- that is, s/he has seen your work (academic or intern type work ) or leadership type skills in action directly, don’t send it. AdComms are not impressed by students who send in LoRs from famous/important people who don’t really know your work. Even if they have known since you were a child and think you are great.
As for your original question: your stats are in range, Your ECs (as you present them here) don’t give much of a sense of where your heart is (looks sort of pro-forma). OOS is harder than in state, so if you are seriously interested I suggest looking to what you can do to demonstrate that you are a good fit for W&M. Spend some time on their admissions section -they have a great blog that gives a good idea of what they look for in a student.
@collegemom3717 The reason I included my nomination is that it is a very difficult achievement, only a few thousand receive it a year and includes a very difficult interview process. Also, it is obviously based on merit and is informally a recommendation. I didn’t intend it to be a “if I don’t get in there I’ll take your school” type of showing, as of right now I really don’t have a clear cut number 1. Unfortunately you may be correct and that’s what it may be interpreted as from their view.
As for finding my fit in their student body, would it help to get in contact with my admissions counselor and demonstrate interest?
Anyways, I appreciate you taking the time to give input and help, thank you
Demonstrating interest is no bad thing, but does nothing about demonstrating that you are a good fit. What I meant is for you to work on ‘why W&M’ - from both your point of view and theirs. So for you, go back to basics: why W&M in particular? what makes you think that it is a good fit for you? and, from the AdCom pov, why are you a good addition to the student body? they have a cap on oos: what about you says ‘ah, yes, this one will be a good addition to our community’? answering those questions (as best you can, obviously) will help you focus your ECs and essays.
Of course, if your app is already in & you are just looking for reassurance, that’s no help!
@collegemom3717 thank you for the advice, I’ll really think about those and display why I would be a good addition hopefully. Also, would being from Michigan help as only 8% come from the Midwest?
8%- of the 35% Out of State Students, which is almost exactly the percentage that the population of the midwest would suggest (21% of the US population is from the midwest; 22% of the OOS students at W&M are from the midwest). In that sense, not underrepresented.
Note that I am not trying to discourage you at all! just trying you help you focus on what will help your odds the most & give you the clearest picture possible.