Hi! Rising senior applying for Columbia ED and a handful of other Ivies. Any and all feedback you have would be greatly appreciated
International (Canadian), Asian female, competitive private school, won’t apply for financial aid.
International Relations, Political Science
Didn’t take the SAT or ACT! I decided to pivot to US schools pretty late, and by that time COVID had cancelled pretty much any test I could take.
GPA and Rank:
We don’t do GPAs, but conversion charts tell me 4.0? I had a 93% in junior year, haven’t gotten first term marks for senior year yet. Class rank also isn’t disclosed, but did award for 4 years on honour roll! My stats are probably the weakest part of my application (whoops).
My school doesn’t let us take APs until junior year. Currently taking AP World History, AP Calc AB, AP Lang, Law, Bio, English. I took AP Humgeo & AP French junior year, 5s on both.
- 2nd place at the World International Debate and Public Speaking Championships
- 4th place individually at the US National Debate Championships in the largest category
- 4th place individually & finalist at the Canadian National Debate Championships
- Won French National Debate Championships
- On the national debate team, 1/12 members, have a couple decent awards from debate
- Secretary-General of a MUN conference with 800+ delegates annually
- Co-led the first iteration of a new MUN conference with 400+ delegates
- On the national speech team, ^^ some pretty strong awards as well
- Debate coach & volunteer for about 3 years
- MUN Club captain at my school, about 100 kids in our club
- Staffed (director/chair) around 10 MUN conferences
- Ambassadors club (led families around campus and gave tours, staffed open houses, etc) for 3 years
- Work experience at a law firm for a week in the summer
- Volunteered with special needs skaters through the Special Olympics
- Participated in Youth Parliament simulations
- Rec leader for generic summer camp
- STEAM & entrepreneurship summer camp for a month
LORs should be decently strong, I have good relationships with both teachers and one is the sponsor teacher for my MUN club.
My essay right now is uh a work in progress, but it should turn out to be fine? Nothing stellar just yet, but I have relative faith in my writing skills (hopefully)!
I’m ED’ing Columbia, and applying to a handful of other Ivies (3 others lol). Since I’m Canadian, I really narrowed down my college choice and didn’t choose to apply to any US safeties.
Please chance me for Columbia ED and other Ivies - drop any advice you can! Thanks