Hi everyone! I am a senior at a top 10 New York City private high school. I will be applying to Cornell ED.
Intended major(s): Computer Science (CoE)
Ethnicity/Gender: White Male
GPA: 3.77/4 (UW). I have taken all of the hardest classes offered.
Class rank: N/A
SAT/SAT II: 1470 (710 EBRW, 760 Math). Math II: 760.
Coursework: My school doesn’t offer AP classes. Instead, the offer AT (advanced topics) classes to juniors and seniors. I took AT Computer Science, AT English, Science Research, Advanced Precalculus, and Nuclear Physics junior year. I am taking AT Calculus 1&2 (B/C), AT Physics, AT US Gov, Advanced Science Research, and Accelerated Biology during senior year. I also took Advanced Geometry, Accelerated Physics, Advanced Algebra II, and Accelerated Chemistry freshman and sophomore years.
Awards: NYCSEF semifinalist, JSHS semifinalist, Child Mind Institute Rising Scientist Award Nominee (results released later this month), science research award recipient.
- Psychiatric VR Development at Weill Cornell (three year long internship). I develop virtual reality simulations to help treat psychiatric disorders such as PTSD, social phobias, and depression. I have written two research papers, and I am presenting at Cornell’s Immersive Media in Medicine Symposium.
- iOS Application Development. Two self-published apps, developer of school’s newspaper app, paid developer of school’s survey app, assistant developer of school’s student body app. Miscellaneous work for several start-up companies.
- Independent Study in Quantum Computing. I conducted an independent study on quantum computer during the second semester of junior year and throughout senior year.
- Paid and Pro Bono Computer Support. I provide computer support to residents in my apartment building and several other clients throughout New York.
- Swimmer & Captain and Ultimate Frisbee Player. Varsity swimmer throughout high school. Co-captain senior year. Varsity ultimate frisbee player throughout high school.
- International Travel Experience. I went on a school trip in Cambodia (10) and on a group hiking trip in the Alps (10).
- Summer Program at Columbia University. I participated in a course surrounding big data, machine learning, & applied analytics. I earned a 97% in the class.
- Club Participation. I was the leader of my school’s computer science club. I am a member of my school’s physics club.
- Guitar. I have independently played guitar (with weekly lessons) since the 3rd grade. I have also been a member of numerous bands.
- Miscellaneous Work Experience. I have worked as a lifeguard & swim coach at The Creek Country Club in Locust Valley, NY, and I have assisted my father at his office in Manhattan.
Essays and LORs:
Common App: 8.5-9/10. I am writing about what I learned about myself while developing my first iOS app.
Rec #1: 10/10 – nuclear physics teacher. We have a great relationship, and he already told me that my rec will be excellent. I am also conducting an independent study on quantum computing with him.
Rec #2: 9/10 – pre-calc teacher. He is the head of the math department, and we got along very well last year.
Rec #3 11/10 – science research mentor. She LOVES me. Her recommendation will be stellar, and she REALLY wants me to attend Cornell. She is tenured at Weill Cornell, and her son is currently enrolled as an undergraduate.
College Counselor Rec: 9.5/10. I have been extremely proactive throughout the entire college process, and she really seems to like me.
Supplemental essay: 10/10. I’m discussing my work at Weill Cornell and how its intra and interdisciplinary collaborative environment has allowed me to thrive. Specifically, I am discussing my experience as presenter at Cornell’s Immersive Media in Medicine Symposium. One of my mentor’s close colleagues runs the Virtual Embodiment Lab at Cornell, and I am mentioning how I would be able to continue my research and maintain contact with my current mentor. I am also discussing how I used the Cornell Sun’s iOS application to help me develop my school’s newspaper app.