Hello! I am a current high school senior who has applied to study film production at USC, UCLA, Chapman, NYU, Ryerson and ASU (already accepted). I am wondering what my chances are so I know if I need to be worried all the way out into April waiting to get my decisions back or if I can maybe be more realistic with my options.
- I am a female who lives in Arizona, but I am originally from Canada so I am a dual US-Canadian citizen.
GPA: 4.50 W/3.95 UW
SAT: 1270 (only took once & submitted to 2 schools since others wouldn’t accept it this year)
6 APs (currently taking 4)
Lang & Comp: 4
- Secretary of my school’s Media Productions club for 2 years (disbanded this year due to COVID)
- Competed on my school’s SKILLSUSA Broadcast News team twice, won regionals and advanced to state in 2020 but competition was canceled
- Daily news anchor on my school’s morning announcements, reported the weather and worked with the tricaster editing segments behind the scenes
- Won 2nd place school award for final project in Media Productions, asked personally to film and edit sample teaching tape for teacher who was trying to get a job out of state (she was hired!)
- Volunteered with the National Charity League for 6 years, won award for most hours volunteered in entire chapter 2 years in a row, received congressional award for efforts from local congresswoman
- I have an editing YouTube channel with over 530,000 subscribers and 270,000,000 views. I talked a lot about this in my essays because it has been my job since grade 9 and I’ve put all of my work into it. I’ve done brand deals with large companies like Boxlunch and I run my own merchandise store. I edit almost daily and am skilled with Final Cut Pro and After Effects.
- I felt confident with most of my portfolio pieces, including short films. Only lackluster part was my letter of recs, I had one from my media productions teacher, one from a board member of my volunteer organization and one from my counselor. I don’t think they said anything too specific, just generally that I was a good student/member. Definitely should have been more diligent with those.
That’s all! Thank you so much for reading