Chance me for Midwestern engineering [MI resident, 3.89 UW, 1560 SAT, not many traditional STEM ECs]

just trying to understand the process but that seems counterproductive for them? won’t a lot of kids get offers from their state schools or peer institutions that they’re happy about and subsequently not go to case?

I think Case is trying to cut down on admitting people in EA who are about to get into their preferred ED school somewhere else. Case EA notifies relatively early. But I agree they probably lose some good potential students this way. That is what happened with my D26. She was deferred EA, and by the time they admitted her RD, she didn’t have time to arrange to visit. I was a bit sad about that because they have very good biomedical engineering (her interest area), and choice of major is also extremely flexible (a consideration for her). But she is thrilled about UBC and I am sure it will be great, too.

4 Likes

oh the fabled yield protection, i see
thank you for explaining, i’ll be sure to let you know if i have any questions about UBC

1 Like

Note that Minnesota and Purdue have secondary admission to major after entering as undeclared engineering. Both of them have a 3.2 college GPA threshold for automatic admission to your desired major.

Michigan would also have you enter as engineering undeclared, but the criteria to declare a specific engineering major is a 2.0 college GPA and completion of frosh year course math, science, and engineering course work (basically automatic admission unless you are in danger of flunking out). This is probably ideal if you want to explore, but do not want to worry about secondary admission to your possible engineering majors.

Wisconsin has progression requirements to stay in engineering majors. These include technical and overall college GPAs that may be significantly higher than 2.0. For the 2026-2027 year, these are 3.3 and 3.0 for chemical engineering.

2 Likes

CPSLO does not offer chemical engineering as a major. It does have biomedical and environmental engineering.

2 Likes

Thanks, good catch! And after I noticed that the OP wanted to explore in the first year, it also looked like less of a match to me, since it admits direct to major.

1 Like

I knew about the GPA requirements at University of Wisconsin to move from 1st year undeclared engineering to a specific engineering major, but didn’t realize you had to maintain that same GPA beyond your first year “progression requirements”. Can you point me to where it says you have to keep that gpa to continue your progression? Maybe I’m just misreading something?

If you are considering the Pennsylvania to Maine corridor, then you might look into the University of Rochester and, on the outskirts of that corridor, the University of Delaware. Also, if tOSU is a no-go for your parents, perhaps look into the University of Cincinnati (although when my son was looking into schools a few years ago, I think that co-op was required – not sure about that now).

I think you’ve got a great list with a number of likely admits on it.

One thing that surprised me about your list is that you have U. of Iowa but not Iowa State. I’m sure U. of Iowa has a fine engineering program, but I’ve heard a lot more mentions about the strength of Iowa State’s engineering college. It will have the big state school experience you’re looking for.

With respect to Case Western, show that you’re interested. If possible, visit. Find out who your admissions rep is and ask them some questions that you can’t get the answers to on the website. Click on the links in the emails they send you. Maybe ask to be put in contact with a student rep or anyone who might know about the feasibility of handling the engineering requirements along with participating in the theater tech side. Essentially, make sure they know that you’re seriously considering them. If you do that, I think your odds increase for an admission during EA and for some hefty merit.

5 Likes

The GPA mentioned is just for the first year progression requirements.

1 Like

University of Massachusetts would rank right up there with Minnesota as a flagship with a top Cemical Engineering program with great opportunities for research.

2 Likes

i heard iowa was stronger for biomed/pharma but i’ll look into that
I also had some personal reasons to add iowa in the first place

thanks for your time

1 Like

Since you said all are affordable accept a few reaches, I’ll avoid that.

I wouldn’t worry about awards. Most don’t have beyond those like you do. What matters isn’t an award but what you did to get it. In other words, if you work at Dairy Queen it’s great. You don’t get an award for that. The same with walking shelter dogs and helping with adoptions. It’s an awesome achievement but there’s no award. So I wouldn’t worry about that.

Many schools don’t look at ECs - and you’re fine there.

I would rate you as:

Extremely Likely - Michigan State, Minnesota, RHIT, Iowa….these aren’t likely. Have you looked at Iowa State which might be stronger than Iowa in engineering (but further West if you are trying to stay close).

Likely - Purdue

Toss Up - I’ll agree with Wisconsin and CWRU - which might defer you and then ask you to apply ED2. Because you’re from Michigan, you have a better shot.

Unless the NPC makes out for Northwestern, why apply?

I see others mentioned West Coast and Canadian schools. If that’s the case, I’d actually recommend U Delaware - closer to home and one of the top Chem E schools in the country, along with Wisconsin and UMN. Delaware is home to a lot of the chemical industry.

But most your list are easy ins, not just ins - I’m confused by some being labeled low matches.

But we all think differently and this is my opinion.

Best of luck to you.

1 Like

We are in a similar situation, with dual citizenship but living in the USA. Both daughters did apply to some universities in Canada. One got her bachelor’s degree in the US, and one got her bachelor’s degree in Canada.

One thing that we noticed was that university applications in Canada tend to be very simple and straightforward. I have joked that they just want your high school transcript and contact information so that they can send you results. This is an exaggeration, but only a slight exaggeration and applications really are a lot simpler for universities in Canada. Applications to top schools are usually also more predictable in Canada. Generally if you have the grades you are in (and you have the grades).

At least in our experience university in Canada is a LOT less expensive compared to the US. We payed less to attend university in Canada compared to our in-state public university (and that was even with getting merit aid offered from the in-state university). The exchange rate helps in this regard. This for example helped when both daughters ended up being interested in graduate school.

One difference we noted is that universities in Canada seem to have fewer general education requirements, meaning requirements to take classes outside of your major. This allows you, if you want to do it, to focus more on your major. It is possible that this might vary depending upon which university you attend.

In terms of opportunities for research or internships, I have not noticed much difference between the US and Canada. If you were to attend university in Canada and want to do an internship in the US, you would probably be better off attending one of the well known schools.

Our daughter who got her bachelor’s degree in Canada did then get a job in the US, and now is studying in a very good PhD program in the USA. I know multiple other people who got their bachelor’s in Canada and then either got a job or got a graduate degree (or both) in the US.

Somewhere like Toronto or Waterloo would be well known by employers and graduate programs in the US, and McMaster would also be a very good choice. UBC is also very good, but is further from Michigan. McGill is very good but has the oddity of being in an overwhelmingly bilingual part of a majority French city. Some people like this, some would rather not deal with it (although in the area around McGill it is pretty easy to get people to speak English).

I have wondered whether Ann Arbor or Toronto would be colder in the winter. According to Google AI they are pretty much the same (1 degree difference in January, no difference at all in February, on average).

I am also not a big fan of ED. It is nice to have a solid offer in hand and then decide where to go.

You have very good in-state public options. The difference in cost between your in-state options versus Northwestern might be something that you want to be staring at in front of you in an offer letter before you decide to spend the big bucks. While in engineering a graduate degree really is not needed at all, a master’s is typically not funded and saving some money for graduate school can be useful in some cases.

And to me it looks like you are doing well, and I think that you have a good list of schools to apply to.

3 Likes

thank you very much
I think we might reconsider canada after all

2 Likes

thank you very much
I’ve heard from the student side of social media that OOS engineering is often significantly more competitive but I’m sure there’s nuance there regardless

You don’t have overly competitive schools. UMN would be the “most competitive” on your likely and below.

Some schools are harder - like a UM or UVA. Many OOS schools want your money and are easier admits - or there’s no difference.

Your list, as is, is fine - but a U Del would be a nice addition if you were looking further geographically (but not far).

2 Likes

Iowa State has a very simple application and will let you know almost immediately if you are admitted. It might be nice to have a sure thing in your pocket and then you can skip the application for any school that doesn’t ‘beat’ Iowa State in your personal rankings.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.