Chance me for: U-Wisconsin, Colgate, Reed, NYU, U of Vermont, Boulder, U Michigan

Hi! I’m a current senior in high school and have submitted all of my applications (thank goodness :-). I would love to hear your advice and predictions on college admissions. I was recently deferred by the University of Wisconsin-Madison, which is one of my top choices, and would greatly appreciate input on how I can help my chances of acceptance in the spring. I am an OOS, California applicant to all of these schools. I apologize for the long post and thank you so much to whoever takes the time :slight_smile:

AP/Honors Courses + Exam Scores:

  1. AP European History - 3 (Sophomore)
  2. AP French Language - 4 (Sophomore)
  3. AP Psychology - 4 (Junior)
  4. AP English Language - 4 (Junior)
  5. AP US History - 4 (Junior)
  6. AP English Literature - (Senior class N/A)
  7. AP US Government - (Senior class N/A)
  8. AP Environmental Science - (Senior Class N/A)
  9. English 2 Honors
  10. French 5 Honors

My GPA and grades have significantly increased in the past two years. (Sophomore year & 1st semester junior year I had to deal with some serious family, outside, and mental health issues). I understand they are low and I take full responsibility for them. However, I do work hard and genuinely LOVE to learn.

cumulative uw: 3.22
cumulative weighted: 3.60

2nd semester junior year: weighted - 3.9; uw - 3.3
1st semester senior year: weighted - 3.9; uw - 3.38

ACT: 30, super score 31
English: 35
Reading: 32
Science: 31
Math: 24

Outside Extracurriculars:
- Research Assistant at Stanford University (I study & write about terrorist groups in Sub-Saharan Africa)
- Co-Founder of website/organizations (we research and document systemic problems across the world + have a
discussion panel to discuss the articles/questions relating to them + a competition where people engineer policies to
solve specific issues & the money they win goes to a charity of their choice)
- Leadership & Social Justice Training (An immersion in Arizona to learn about US/Mexican border issues and immigrant
rights. I created an action plan to spread social awareness in schools.)
- Marketing Intern at Chegg (Wrote and published articles for Chegg Play focusing on students’ mental health. Utilized
numerous social media platforms to promote brand content)
- Sales Rep @ local pet store

  • School Clubs:
    • Model United Nations Captain
    • Board Member, Stand Up! Speak Up! (Worked with other students to spread awareness on specific issues each month,
      such as water rights in India and child labor in North Korea)
    • JV Lacrosse Captain & MVP + Varsity Lacrosse
    • Robotics Club (I had to quit early b/c of lacrosse)
  • Volunteering:
    • Assistant Director for Zimbabwe Orphans Run & Fair (I manage and direct a 1 mile run/fair to raise money for work
      grants for an AIDS orphanage in Zimbabwe)

Latest results: Accepted EA Boulder (legacy); Deferred EA Wisconsin-Madison

I intend to double major in international relations and environmental science

Your course rigor is good, but UMich is out of your reach due to low GPA and below mid 50 test score.

I’d say you have a good shot at Boulder and Vermont, but the rest seem unlikely to me based on grades and test scores. You get a sense yourself by looking at the Common Data Set that each school publishes. Just google CDS and school name. It will show you a good amount of data on typical accepted student profiles and also what the schools consider as very important, important, considered or not important.

CDS suggests Reed could be a match, 50/50.

Your unweighted is unfortunately way too low for Madison

Your app seems like it would get a better reception at a LAC, where they would put more emphasis on your ECs (which are fantastic!). I imagine you will do better at Colgate or Reed.

Do you think NYU-Gallatin would pay attention to my ECs like Colgate and Reed? It’s a much smaller program that’s based on individualized study

UW Madison is out of reach due to your low gpa. Your above average ACT is not enough to carry you