Chance me for West Point and Air Force Academy?

<p>Female
Filipino
I'm applying EA for both USMA and USAFA.</p>

<p>GPA unweighted: 96.5 (probably gonna be around 95 after jr.yr D: )
Classes:
9th:
AP World - 5 on AP
Band
Spanish 2 honors
Bio Honors
English Honors
Creative Writing
Geometry Honors
Research</p>

<p>10th:
Band
AP European History - 5 on AP
Spanish 3 honors
English Honors
AP Psychology - 5 on AP
Algebra 2/Trig
Chemistry Honors
Advanced Research (social sciences) </p>

<p>11th:
Band
AP US History
College Precalculus
AP Physics B (AKA the reason my gpa will drop after jr.yr)
AP Language and Composition
AP Statistics
Health
Advanced Research (social sciences)</p>

<p>12th grade projected classes:
Band
Music Theory
AP Microeconomics
AP Macroeconomics
AP Environmental Science
AP Literature
AP US Government and Politics
AP Calculus AB
College Sociology </p>

<p>SAT: 2030 :( i'll try to bring it up.</p>

<p>Extracurriculars/Awards:
Editor in chief of literary magazine since 9th grade
Tri-M member/ inducted since 9th grade
Forensics Declamation and Public Forum (1yr only, 1 4th place trophy)
Book Club (1 yr only)
Volunteer at various institutions (libraries/nursing homes/ churches): 1000+ hrs (7th-11th grade)
NCTE national finalist (idk if this is worth mentioning bc it was in 8th grade)
Reflections Music Composition state finalist (7th, 9th, 10th, 11th grade)
Advanced Research Science Fair: 1st Place (social sciences)
Accepted into USAFA SLS (can't go though)
Accepted into USMA SLS (will go)</p>

<p>*No sports, but I work out. Idk if it's worth mentioning, but i got a black belt in Tae Kwond Do when I was in like...4th grade. LOL </p>

<p>Chance me, please! Thnx in advance</p>

<p>Do you know that there is a physical fitness test required for applicants? It consists of a timed run, pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. You must meet the standard which they set for women. (I'm sure you can google the requirements.) If you have not done sports, it may be a challenge to meet the criteria, so I suggest you start on a conditioning regime soon if you are a junior. The test is done at your local AFB or army base, usually in early fall of your senior year. </p>

<p>Sports are considered great venues for demonstrated leadership; clubs may not be considered as good indicators of toughness and grit. That said, if you do well with the summer army program, that may prove you can keep up. Good luck!</p>

<p>Are you a US citizen? You have to be a US citizen to attend either of those schools and serve as an officer. If you are a citizen of the US and the Philippines you would have to renounce your Philipino citizenship. </p>

<p>You also have to get nominated to each of these schools as well as accepted. The nominations are a whole separate process. You can be nominated and not accepted and you won't go. The reverse it true too.</p>

<p>thanks for the replies. :D</p>

<p>yes, i'm a U.S citizen and have been training for the CFA regularly, but you're right: it is quite a challenge for me. i'm going to USMA's SLS in roughly two weeks and they're making us take the fitness test there, but i don't think i'm as prepared as i should be--is there a chance i can retake it fall of senior year?</p>

<p>as soon as i get my teacher recs, i'll be able to send them to my senators/representative/vp. </p>

<p>i was wondering whether (if i passed the fitness test) my ecs and class load/gpa would make up for me not being involved in sports.</p>

<p>Here are the CFA averages for females in 2010:
B-ball throw: 41'
Pull ups: 2
Shuttle Run: 11.5 seconds
Sit ups: 65
Push ups: 30
Mile: 8min</p>

<p>So, many of the girls that apply are obviously not total beasts ;) But it is necessary to be in above average shape. Let us know how you do at SLS, but figure out what your weakest event is and really pinpoint that. FYI: nobody cares about the bball throw. It is the most stupid event on the CFA. So if the bball is killing you, find your second weakest event and pinpoint that ;) And yes, you can retake it in senior year. The one at SLS can count if you want it to because you got a good score, but you can retake it.</p>

<p>You have great ecs and a class load! I guess it is too late to really commit to a sport, but they won't write you off for that. My brother didn't play ANY sports. None. Not even martial arts or PE. However, he graduated with an associates degree when he was 18 because he was homeschooled. He was very active in Boy Scouts and made his Eagle. Definitely try to stay editor in chief. WP looks at wheter you excel in one ec as opposed to being a member of a dozen groups. Also, we are hispanic so we had the minority card to play, as do you. You look like a solid candidate. Great class load. Also my brother scored in the 2000s on the SAT too. So let us know how your process goes! Hope that info helped!</p>

<p>Thanks, USMAatWPchica! :D </p>

<p>Yeah, i'm pretty sure i'll have to retake the CFAs after SLS. I haven't been practicing much because of APs :( </p>

<p>I don't know if I should list myself as hispanic along with filipino because i'm like...1/4 hispanic....think it'll help?</p>

<p>Also, since WP is math and science oriented, should i take a different science AP like AP bio or AP chem? I'm definitely more geared towards the humanities and social sciences. Science is my worst subject, which is why I signed up for AP environmental, but I'm not sure if it'll hurt me or not...</p>

<p>Yeah, list as hispanic. Anything that might help is a good idea. However, keep in mind that WP doesn't actually have a quota to fill, they just like to have a diverse student body. Also, don't try to play up your ethnicity TOO much; you don't want them to think you are trying to "get over". </p>

<p>Definitely try to take chem or bio. WP info says try to take 2 years of a lab science. My brother told me that chem is probably the best to take because WP curriculum focuses on chem the most. That is what he took, and what I plan to take next year. If you can, try to change your schedule. Not having chem or even bio may hurt you. </p>

<p>Good luck practicing for the CFA! Run run run!! You will have the whole summer and that will really help. I hope you are able to utilize your free time!</p>

<p>I'll be attending SLS session 1!</p>

<p>Also, DO take chemistry, if you can.</p>

<p>@GoGuapsy </p>

<p>Same! Maybe we'll be in the same squad or something :)</p>