Chance me: international student 3.73 weighted GPA, applying test-optional, history major [3.56 UW GPA in U.S. curriculum school]

chance me: international student 3.73 weighted gpa, sat optional, history major

(just made a new account for myself)

My school does our weighted out of 4.8 instead of 5.0. I’m applying for history (south asian specialisation) and I’m going sat optional. I’ve took 7 aps so far (world history, seminar, macro/micro econ, research, lang, comparative government) and I’ve gotten all 4’s. This year I’m taking 3 aps and my gpa is a 4.33 for this quarter. I’m also full pay. I really want to ed to usc or nyu preferably one of the two but i don’t know if I’ll get in

These are the schools I’m looking to apply to:

Columbia - Sciences Po Dual Degree

USC

UCLA

U Chicago

Georgetown

NYU

U Washington Seattle

U Miami

Northeastern

University of Illinois - Urbana

UCSD

Indiana University

George Washington University

Rutgers

American University

Penn State

Syracuse

Fordham University

UC Irvine

These are my ecs (they’re a bit vague here I just want to stay anonymous)

  1. Founder & Director, Student Theater Organization
    Founded youth political satire theater; staged sold-out productions, reached 300+ attendees, raised PKR 400K+, and led an 18-member team.
  2. Research Assistant, University Professor
    Analyzed rare primary artifacts and cataloged 100+ historical objects for academic archival research.
  3. Author, Children’s Book on Bonded Labor
    Published children’s book on bonded labor; directed 100% of net proceeds toward freeing 2 families; reached 5 stores and 6 libraries.
  4. Independent Researcher
    Conducted quantitative research using 170 traditional music recordings; published findings on cultural and commercial change.
  5. Writer & Co-Director, Social-Issue Film
    Created short film on sanitation workers’ working conditions; secured official screenings at 2 national forums.
  6. Legal Coordinator, Juvenile Justice Initiative
    Provided weekly intake and bail support for juvenile detainees; coordinated legal strategy with pro-bono attorneys.
  7. Archival Research Intern, Provincial Archives
    Transcribed 40+ fragile historical manuscripts and indexed 120+ government and refugee records.
  8. Oral Historian, Coastal Oral History Project
    Conducted 25+ interviews across 3 generations, preserving disappearing folklore, livelihoods, and displacement histories in an archive and zine.
  9. Heritage Fellow, National Archaeology Department
    Researched 15+ major Buddhist artifacts and archaeological sites; produced 3 reports for national archival records.
  10. Collector
    Collected 7,000+ coins, 2,500+ stamps, and 300+ records since first grade; negotiated with 100+ collectors to expand the collection.

Let me know what schools you think I could get in. I really want a school with a name of course but also with good programs that I could easily get into. And hypothetically how far are my reaches.

Why not also UC Berkeley, since you’re full pay? No need for any test scores for UC’s.

Financial Aid Options for International Students: What to Know (9/2/2026)
In case you have any interest in merit aid/scholarships.

Do you think I’d have a solid chance at Berkeley, if I nail my PIQS?

If you meet Berkeley’s admission requirements, why not? The additional app costs just $95.

Applying for admission as an International applicant at the University of California.

Do you have any other schools in mind?

Unweighted GPA?
Cost constraints?
High school course work in various subjects?

(Basically, the questions that the template asks.)

1 Like

You are full pay - so you have a chance. The bigger issue is internationals are down.

I could see Miami, GW, American, Syracuse, and Fordham for sure.

Have you validated all on your list have an Asian history focus. Many will have Asian studies but not necessarily a full on Asian history degree.

You will get into some like Indiana and Penn State as well.

There are many more but what do you seek in a school - many LACs and private colleges would love to have you and lots of publics are less selective if you meet the minimums in required courses taken in HS- like an Arizona/Arizona State, the Oregon schools, WVU, URI, UVM on the East Coast. U Kanasas would be very good in your area i think.

I would ensure you are looking at curriculums.

I don’t have my unweighted however in terms of constraints I only had issues with math in freshman and sophomore year in which I had a C but otherwise all A’s

Most schools do but you would have to specialise once you’re a year or 2 in school

OK - as long as you looked at curriculums.

There’s hundreds of schools that would love your full pay. What do you seek in a school? Large, mid, small? Small might be more restrictive in class offerings.

Urban, suburban.

Warm, cold, etc.

You’d get into many schools.

U Rochester is another that comes to mind - they are dying due to lack of internationals.

Honestly I don’t have any specifics I really just want to go to a school that’s notable and has a great history program

Can you calculate it yourself?

Also, US universities do expect or require significant high school course work in English, math, science, history and social studies (which you listed), language other than English, and sometimes visual or performing arts. Do you have coverage of all of these subjects in your high school course work?

My unweighted would be a 3.56. I’ve had a bunch of other courses besides my aps that would cover such requirements (my school follows American curriculum)

That’s a lot -many are strong in history.

But you want Asian history. So u should focus on schools with large Asian studies departments.

For example, my daughter majored in intl Studies with an Asian track. She went to College of Charleston. These are history eiectives in the track which I listed below.

You need to do this at every school. I mean Gettysburg is great in Hostory but likely Civil War History.

So you need to dig deeper given your specific desire. You should also check course frequency. Just because it’s listed doesn’t mean they actually offer it.

Don’t do a direct conversion of your marks/grades. Schools abroad use different grading scales, so, for example, while an 87/100 isn’t particularly impressive for a US high school student, the student might be the top student in their school or even their region.

I go to an American school so our weighted is out of 4.8 and I’m pretty sure unweighted is 4.0

1 Like

If your school follows the American curriculum, I assume you are not converting some other grading system? If your unweighted GPA is indeed a 3.5-3.6 range and you are test optional, I think a number of your schools are reaches, especially as an international. Can you clarify which country you come from - this might matter to some of the colleges, if they are looking for geographical diversity.

Re Berkeley, I think that would be a big reach with that GPA (as would ucla), but if you’re doing a UC application for the others anyway you might as well tick the box.

For the UCs, recalculate your HS GPA as shown at GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub .

Using the weighted capped result, you can compare to the admission profiles for various campuses at Freshman admission by discipline | University of California

See category 2. Go dig deeper. My Asian uncle was a prof at KU - made me think of it.

KU is a GREAT name but less selective. Win win.

But you may also look at Asian Studies majors which will be interdisciplinary beyond history. There will be more to hit your narrow basket.

Your target list of 20, if you include Berkeley, looks good!

If you are indifferent between USC & NYU, then apply ED or EA to USC & ED2 to NYU, which doesn’t violate either institution’s ED rules.

The Maxwell School at Syracuse University is a supportive place for a new history major as well as for graduate school. I would apply non-restrictive Early Action.

SU History Department Newsletter - Summer 2026

I would submit all AP scores of “4” and “5” on most of your applications.