Chance Me (Lots of Reach Schools) Brown, CMC, Rice, UNC, WashU, etc.

ACT - 31
ACT Superscore - 32
Unweighted GPA - 4.00/4.00
Weighted GPA - None (My school does not have weighted GPA.)
Class Rank - 1/60 (Shared with two other students)
AP Classes - AP Micro (5)
Honors Classes - None (My school does not have honors)

Other
Ethnicity - White
State - Iowa
Financial Aid - Yes
My school is very small, and it is extremely rare for a student to attend out-of-state competitive colleges. There are not a wide selection of classes, and there are not many AP courses available.

Recommendations - The teachers definitely know me well and said very good things about me.

Main Essay - I think it is very strong, but of course I have a huge bias. The essay is about my journey through the stock market and how losing nearly all of my profits changed my personal values.
Major: Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, or Finance

Senior course load - American History, American Government, Calculus, Chemistry, Accounting I, Accounting II, Genre Literature, P.E., First Tech Challenge, Personal Learning, Finance/Investment II

Extracurriculars -
----I created a makerspace which is a room filled with student resources like 3D Printers, drones, Oculus Rift, and many other things. 11, 12
----I founded a makerclub which is a group of students that supports the makerspace by fundraising and generating ideas for new items in the makerspace. 11, 12
----Cross Country - Varsity runner, 4-year letterman recipient, All-Conference Runner, State Cross Country runner. 9,10,11,12
----I started a drone pilot tutoring program in which I teach others how to fly drones. 11, 12
----Fall Play and Spring Musical - lead roles in fall play and small roles in spring musical. 10, 11, 12
----Speech and Drama - Group improvisation and spontaneous speaking (advanced to state in every competition) 10, 11, 12
----100 hours of miscellaneous community service. 10, 11, 12
----Cameraman - I started a free service that live-streams varsity home basketball games via gotomeeting.com to viewers who cannot attend the games. 11, 12
----Detasseler - 3 year during the summer - from 5 a.m. to 3 p.m. every day of the week, I walked through a cornfield and removed tassels from corn. It is one of the most labor-intensive jobs. 9,10,11
----Cofounder of a business that involved mining Bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies. 10, 11
----Percussion, Piano, and Guitar - I emphasized how I stopped participating during my junior year to allow more time for leadership activities. 9, 10

On to my schools…
Brown (9%)
Claremont Mckenna (10%)
Elon (54%)
Emory (27%)
Oxford College of Emory University (38%)
Pitzer (13%)
Pomona (12%)
Rice (15%)
Southern Methodist University (52%)
Tulane (27%)
UNC Chapel Hill (20% Out-of-State)
Vanderbilt (13%)
WashU (16%)
Whitman (53%)

I have already been accepted into the honors program at the University of Iowa with a presidential scholarship. This post was created so I can slightly manage my expectations. Students in my school don’t apply to these colleges, so all of my teachers are super optimistic. I can get pretty pessimistic just because I’m aware of my competition. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hmmm… You’ve got a really interesting profile. You’re from Iowa, so that will help, as many schools want both ethnic and geographical diversity. GPA is obviously as good as it can be, as well as rank. ACT is slightly low. I would have felt really good about your chances at many of these schools if you had a 33+, but your score isn’t that low, though it is on the low end. Essay sounds interesting. You have pretty strong ec’s. I think your ACT is ultimately what may hold you back a bit at some of these places, as you know, your competition is immense.

Overall, I predict the following results for your schools:

Brown - Reject (sorry here your ACT makes Brown near impossible)
Claremont McKenna - Reject (close call in my opinion, though they might be interested in a kid from Iowa)
Elon - Accept
Emory - Waitlist/Accept (ACT hurts you here)
Oxford College - Accept
Pitzer - (sorry don’t know anything about it)
Pomona - Reject (another close call, but same opinion as Claremont McKenna)
Rice - Reject (ACT makes Rice unlikely)
Southern Methodist University - Accept
Tulane - Accept (did you show interest? I’ve heard rumors they care about that)
UNC Chapel Hill - Waitlist/Accept (it is really hard to get in OOS)
Vanderbilt - Waitlist/Reject (same as Rice)
WashU - Waitlist/Accept (I don’t know why, but I feel like you could get in here even though statistics say otherwise)
Whitman - Never heard of it, but based on the acceptance rate it sounds like you’ll get in

Your standardized test scores put you smack in the middle of the pack for Tulane (1390 SAT, 30-33 ACT), but your class ranking makes Tulane yours if you show sufficient knowledge of the school and enthusiasm to attend. Jarrett211 is 100% correct. I cannot know for sure, but I think you have a very good chance at ALL of the above schools, with the exception of Brown (and that is even worth a shot because of geographic diversity, but don’t get your hopes up!)

Congratulations on a stellar high school record! The sky’s the limit!

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate all feedback.

Brown: reject sorry ACT is a bit low for them
Claremont Mckenna: I think it’s close ACT is right in the middle of their range obviously GPA is great I think you have a decent chance at admission but its also too close to call I wouldn’t be surprised either way
Elon: you’ll get in easy honestly might be below you as a student but you’d have a decent shot at their honors program
Emory: if they super score you’d be right in the middle I’d say this is another close call that could go either way
Oxford College of Emory University I think you’ll get in
Pitzer: not sure here
Pomona: same as claremont mckenna could go either way
Rice: Reject sorry ACT is low for the
Southern Methodist University I think you’ll get in
Tulane: did you show interest? Like others mentioned big factor for them. I think you’ll get in
UNC Chapel Hill: Waitlist it’s so competitive OOS
Vanderbilt Reject ACT is low for them
WashU: Waitlist ACT is low for them but I just get the feeling you could get in scores be damned
Whitman: I think you’ll get in

Congrats on a stellar high school career you will get into a great school! Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Chance back? http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1851091-chance-me-please.html#latest

@hssenior27 Lol you practically copied me down to the thought.

@jarrett211 you know your stuff then! I was looking at the admitted students profiles as I did it

@hssenior27 Funny thing is I just guessed. I didn’t use any of the admitted students pages, nor have I visited any of them.

For the smaller colleges especially, the middle 50% range on test scores has less meaning as there are a lot of hooked applicant (athletes and legacy), which will likely lower the numbers.

Watch out about Elon…they are known to defer/reject kids who they think may be using it as a safety. They are serious about demonstrated interest.

Wow, given your previous thread, this list is a bit surprising. There are not alot (any?) schools that seem close to allowing you to attend at less than 100k for the 4 years.