Chance me/Match me: Engineering major; 3.47 UW GPA, 1500 SAT, VA resident

Demographics

  • US domestic
  • State/Location of residency: Virginia
  • Type of high school (or current college for transfers): Class size ~500, public high school

Intended Major(s): Engineering (Undeclared or electrical or mechanical, I’m not sure)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

  • Unweighted HS GPA: 3.47
  • Weighted HS GPA: 3.99 W on a 4.0 scale but goes up to around a 4.7 (AP = +1.0, honor = +0.5)
  • Class Rank: Not ranked officially, probably around 30-40%
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1500 (800 M, 700 RW)

List your HS coursework

  • English: AP Lang, AP Lit
  • Math: AP Calc AB, AP Calc BC
  • Science: AP Bio, APES
  • History and social studies: APUSH, AP World, AP Gov
  • Other academic courses: AP CSA, AP Seminar + AP Research, AP Stats

Awards: None other than honor societies

Extracurriculars
Robotics (president), summer camp counselor, volunteering (200+ hours with a variety of organizations), summer engineering and coding programs, coding club (vice president), rocketry club (secretary/social media), red cross (regular volunteer), religious organization volunteer.

Schools
UVA (Early Action), VT (Early Action), Stanford, MIT, UPitt (Early Application), Penn State (Early Action), Purdue (Early Action), George Washington, Vanderbilt, Yale, Carnegie Mellon

  • Assured (100% chance of admission and affordability): Local small college
  • Extremely Likely:
  • Likely: VT, Penn State, UPitt
  • Toss-up: UVA, Purdue
  • Lower Probability: George Washington
  • Low Probability: Everything else

I have a rigorous course load, but I don’t always get the best grades in them. I have mostly A’s and B’s, but I also have some C’s in math and science from freshman year and AP Stats.

Let me know what you think and what schools are a good fit for me

Thank you!

I wouldn’t bother retaking the SAT if you’re contemplating doing so.

Q: What are your AP scores?

Focusing on just the reaches: I would drop Stanford & MIT. The “C” grades in math & science plus the top ≈35% class rank is very likely to screen you out. You could potentially replace these with schools like Duke, Washington University in St. Louis, & Brown University, if you are looking to apply to an additional Ivy.

Lehigh is a good alternate “less reachy” option to consider.

Have you already applied to Pitt? (Hopefully yes as they have rolling admission).

Have you taken chem and physics?

Do you have any budget constraints?

Purdue will want to see AP physics on your transcript if it’s offered at your school. I would expect the same for VT. I would put Purdue in the lower probability category as engineering has gotten tougher from out of state, especially with Cs in STEM classes.

I think your reach schools are highly unlikely. I’m concerned about your GPA, STEM rigor, and class rank. I don’t think your SAT score is going to make up for that at the lower probability schools.

I’m also concerned that you don’t have an extreme likely unless you’ve already been accepted to Pitt.

2 Likes

Thank you! My AP scores: AP Calc AB, Lang, Research, Seminar, APUSH: 4; AP Bio, Stats, CSA: 3. Everything else I am taking this year.

1 Like

I have guaranteed admission to a university near me, which is why I am not applying to more safeties, I would rather go there than other schools and transfer after 1-2 years. I took an integrated science for 2 years, both of which included physics and chemistry, but because of the way my school is structured and my other classes I couldn’t take physics this year. I have applied to Pitt already, I am waiting to hear back! For budget, my parents would pay approx. half, and I plan on taking out a loan for the rest and working during college.

1 Like

Thanks! You should also drop Yale from the list. Both Stanford & Yale require that you self-submit all AP scores. Though these are a mix of good & very good scores, when evaluating these in context with the academic transcript, GPA & assigned grades, you likely wouldn’t pass the initial application screening.

1 Like

That does not sound like a realistic amount to borrow and work for at many of the colleges on your list, unless you get a lot of financial aid and/or scholarships.

Have you and your parents used each college’s net price calculator?

3 Likes

What is your budget?

If you parents are paying half - that’s a big difference if a school is $100K and you are paying $50K and you can’t - or a school is $30K and you are paying $15K - which you still can’t.

Pitt is over $60K. Unless you have $100K saved, how would you attend? That won’t cover you but a part time job or summer job may the rest.

So please get your budget under control - that’s step one. Step two, when you get to college - control your rigor. Yes, engineering is more regimented but it seems like you go too strongly.

I assume you are talking about VCU or GMU as assured. If you wanted EE, you could also look at CNU. So that’s fine.

If you wanted other low cost - but you have to reach out to see if they use weighted or unweighted GPA because they don’t say - but U of Alabama would be low 20s - so you might be able to afford that. It’s an outstanding program. UAH is another that could be low cost and Mississippi State too. WVU uses weighted - and would be high 20s closer to home. Marshall, another WV school, could work. West Carolina has EE and then a regular engineering degree that’s certified and is also mid 20s.

These are low cost. When you have a budget and you haven’ said what it is, but you build for budget. Not name. But if you don’t qualify for aid, well you can take out $5500 in loans the first year and while your parents can co sign for more, any more is too much. So that’s step one.

Step two -

I would say you have no chance at Stanford, MIT, Yale, CMU and Vandy. I’d say you have near zero shot at UVA and Purdue. I’d say - not zero - but not a good shot - at Va Tech. Penn State and GW are both “possible” with Penn State much better odds but how would you afford either? Frankly, they’re substitutional with the schools I listed above - which will cost much less.

For example, for EE, Penn State reports 22 salaries at $80,205. They don’t report a knowledge rate (meaning what % of kids they capture. Alabama shows 46 responses, which they say is 94% of students, at a salary of $86,678. For Mech E, PSU shows $80,842 while Bama shows $81,294.

Where you go for engineering, mainly doesn’t matter short of a few schools.

So unless you’re ok with VCU or GMU, you need to update your list.

But you need to have a discussion with your folks about paying for college. If they say you have more I agree a Lehigh is a reasonable reach. I wouldn’t expect you to get in.

But I think RPI would be a reasonable school with a decent chance of getting in. Syracuse would be a tad easier, similar to Pitt.

For the large public, I don’t think you’d get into an Ohio State and unlikely a UMN but a UMN would be a better bet. They would cost less than PSU but not cheap. But you can go for cheap to substitutional schools. UCF might be another.

It’s all fun to talk about - but until you have a true budget and not a generic statement, it’s hard to know - because it’d be awesome to go to Stanford, but where are you going to come up with $50K a year x 4, etc. Same with GW - which isn’t known for engineering. And Vandy, which you won’t sniff, but local kids actually choose UTK, Auburn or Bama over Vandy if they truly want to be engineers.

But first, you have to be realistic before looking at any out of state schools - but the ones I gave you, with merit, likely will be similar or in some cases less than your in-state publics - for example, UVA is $50K in state for engineering and Bama is less than half out of state if they use weighted GPA (you need a 3.5) so you have to ask them as they don’t list it - so you actually save money going out of state if they do.. WVU would be a bit over half of UVA - so OOS is cheaper than in state, etc. They do use weighted GPA.

Good luck.

Please list ALL of the courses you took in high school. All of them.

I don’t see all three sciences represented (bio, chem, physics). No foreign language or arts classes listed, for example.

Half of what amount? And will they co-sign loans for you for any additional loans you might need.