Chance Me/Match me for Philosophy Pre-law [4.0UW, 1570 SAT, HS Senior, NJ] ["Parents willing to pay full price to reaches, otherwise looking for significant merit aid"]

lawschoolnumbers.com has scatterplots of college GPA and LSAT for various law schools, but it seems like they forgot to renew their SSL/TLS certificate.

LawHub — Law School Transparency lets you compare law schools with respect to employment outcomes.

1 Like

Wow - you’ve got a lot going on. Congrats.

Grinnell is a great school but if you took off W&L and Williams for being rural, I’d remove Grinnell too. Perhaps a Macalester would be a fair sub. And if you like Swat, how about Haverford? If you like Bryn Mawr but want cheaper, how about Agnes Scott?

Bama’s great scholarship is for NMF - you’d get 5 years tuition, four years housing and a stipend - which would cover food - just about.

U Tulsa is a smaller and fine school - they give big for NMSF. It’s four years tuition and housing. It’s a great school - where kids that don’t get into a school like Rice consider.

Just curious, why did you drop Emory? It seems to fit with a Vandy, along with Wash U, Rice, and Emory - which has the Woodruff Program.

Did you look into Charleston and the Fellows? Two of my daughter’s co hort mates - one did research for a year and now is at Gtown in the SFS for a Masters and I think is hopinig for med school. Another did a Masters at Oxford and is now at Harvard Law - so they’ve put together great outcomes - because the students are top notch.

In the end, if you can go to an expensive name - that’s great. But I don’t think it matters for law school. The top law schools enroll kids from hundreds of colleges. That you’re a stud will be what matters.

If mom and dad have the cash, then great. If they just have belief that going to the big name matters but it’s goingto cause them to struggle, then not great.

One thing for sure - you have options.

And I get - you can’t apply everywhere - you won’t have time. But there are so many options.

Thanks for coming back.

The problem, honestly, with you applying to so many is you’ll have choice - lots of them. And choice is always difficult but it’s a nice problem to have :slight_smile:

Good luck.

Personally, I think your plan is looking great!

Grinnell is a really nice school, but I agree it is also pretty isolated. I also agree about Macalester, it has one of the nicest locations of any colleges I have seen, right in the heart of the Twin Cities. I agree Haverford would also be a good option, and I might also repeat the suggestion to check out Wesleyan if you have not already.

But overall, I do think you have an excellent plan.

Took off Grinnell.

Macalester is really nice but I don’t think I want to live in a city necessarily. I think I also want to generally stick with the east coast (exception with Stanford and Northwestern - I do like Chicago and California is great).

I may add Emory for rd depending on if I have the time!

I will apply for Charleston EA! And also Wesleyan is added!

1 Like

Charleston - make sure to do the Honors essay and then you hope you get picked for interview weekend. But it’s very urban - far moreso than Mac.

I’m a huge W&L fan. It’s rural but at the same time, it’s right in town. You roll down a hill into great restaurants and more. But more importantly, if you win Johnson - it’s free!! and then some.

I don’t see why you can’t apply to Princeton REA. You can apply to W&L RD but just get your app in by Dec 1.

I think your list is great - and Pitt / Rutgers might be the “best” for the major but others are better (not on your list) if you want to save $$. But your list is varied and fine.

The deadline to apply for the Johnson Scholarship is Dec. 1. Note that Washington and Lee University offers Early Decision I (Nov. 1), Early Decision II (Jan. 5) and Regular Decision (Jan. 5) admissions programs. We must receive your Johnson Scholarship application by Dec. 1, but you may choose to apply under any of the application decision programs.

Oh!! I don’t know why I thought I had to Early W&L for the Johnson Scholarship. In that case I’ll add it back in, thanks for the catch!

2 Likes