Chance Me/Match Me: [Grade 12, FGIL, Industrial Engineering; 3.9 UW GPA, 4.1 W GPA, 1380 SAT; GA resident, -1500 SAI]

Demographics

  • US citizen
  • Georgia
  • Public, low income high school
  • First gen

Cost Constraints / Budget
Parents have 0 budget, I have 0 budget, family makes <$50K

Intended Major(s): Industrial Engineering

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

  • Unweighted HS GPA: 3.9
  • Weighted HS GPA: 4.1
  • Class Rank: 5/220, however I am planning on graduating in December so I will be unranked (might change later on)
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1380 SAT (690 RW, 690 Math) Planning on Retaking in November after applying to UGA and Georgia Tech EA1

List your HS coursework

  • English: 9th, 10th english, AP Lang, AP Lit, DE English 101 and 102

  • Math: Algebra I (honors, took 8th), Geometry and Algebra II (9th, 10th, reg) AP Precalculus, DE College Algebra (highest math)

  • Science: Physical Science, Biology, Physics(Regular); Human Anatomy(Regular), Environmental Science (DE)

  • History and social studies: AP World History, US History (reg), World Civilization (DE), AP Macroeconomics, Macroeconomics (DE), World History (DE)

  • Language other than English: Spanish 1, 2 (reg)

  • Other academic courses: Specific Pathway (Aerospace, Reg), Psychology (DE), Public Speaking (DE) Dramatic Writing (reg), Music Appreciation (reg), Work Based Learning (reg)

Extracurriculars

  • Georgia Tech Student Research Program
  • Part Time Job (20-30 hrs/week)
  • Co-founder, Chess Club
  • Geometry Dash Level Creator (level featured by the developer of the game himself)
  • Varsity Soccer, 2 years
  • Family Responsibilities

Essays/LORs/Other
Essay is decently strong I’d say

My school’s average SAT is 820, and and my school doesn’t offer very many AP nor honors courses. I am also planning to graduate 6 months earlier instead of May.

Schools

  • Assured: Georgia Southern
  • Extremely Likely: Kennesaw
  • Likely:
  • Toss-up: UGA (EA1)
  • Lower Probability: Georgia Tech (Applying EA1) UF, UNC, Virginia Tech
  • Low Probability: UVA, UT Austin

Featured, or just rated? :wink:

Jokes aside, UF, UNC, Virginia Tech, UT will not give aid. Look at private schools that do give aid like U of Rochester, Lehigh, and CWRU.

What is your plan for studying for the SAT? Have you gone through a Desmos course? Did you study before taking it the first time?

Are you eligible for Zell Miller or HOPE?

Congrats on a fine record.

Is there any reason you didn’t apply to college via Questbridge? It’s too late but just wondering if students are aware.

My concern is room and board. Even if you have the Hope and if it covers tuition, how will you pay for room and board - $15K+.

Is there a low income program to help pay? I don’t see one - it appears Hope and Zell Miller are tuition only.

As for lower probability, I would not apply to UF, UNC, Va Tech, and UT Austin. Why - UF, Va Tech, and UT Austin, even if you got in, they will be $45K (UF) + $60 for the others. How will you pay?

As an out of state student, they are not going to support you financially.

UVA is ok - and they and UNC are the only two publics in the country that assure to meet need. UVA doesn’t have IE but they do have Systems Engineering.

But you want to study industrial engineering and UNC doesn’t have engineering (NC State is the engineering school). UNC does have biomedical engineering but no other engineering majors that I’m aware of.

Also, UGA doesn’t have industrial engineering. Ga Southern doesn’t either but they do have accredited Manufacturing Engineering. But it doesn’t seem UGA is a fit.

So as an FGLI, it’s tough but you need to find schools that have industrial engineering or Systems Engineering and meet need. But meets need may involve loans, work studies and even parental contribution. So each school has what’s called a net price calculator - and your parents should fill it out. I linked two below.

But schools I might apply to, because they meet need, are:

Industrial Engineering or Systems Engineering
Lehigh U
U Miami
Northeastern U
Wash U

I do think, unless there’s a low income program I’m unaware of, you’ll need to commute so I’m not sure which school you live near. Alternatively, you can hope (unlikely) for a school I’m listing. Or it might make the most sense to start at a community college.

IE is a more limiting major from # of programs. If you were, for example, MechE, you’d have more places to apply - although it’d still be a long shot.

Perhaps someone else will have a better plan or better ideas.

Getting Started | Net Price Calculator

Getting Started | Net Price Calculator

If you applied EA to both UGA & Georgia Tech, they will not accept your November SAT retake scores since it would be past deadline of October 15.

It looks like if you apply UGA by Oct 15th, you have until the 29th for test submission.

Georgia Tech has an Oct 30th deadline for early action test submission.

Per the CB website, the test is Oct 3 with results available on the 16th so they should be ok.

Stated in the OP.

3 Likes

Duh I don’t know why I saw October. And the 3rd is long past. My bad.

Yes you are correct.

They might consider RD then. I don’t know if in Georgia there is a disadvantage. At some schools yes, at some no. They might research. But it doesn’t appear to be the case with many deferred each year, especially at UGA.

1380 is above the 25th percentile at UGA but UGA doesn’t have their chosen major. Should they even apply ? That’s up to OP. With no budget, how will you pay living expenses?

Given UGA defers a lot, maybe RD is the way to go.

It may be similar at Ga Tech, with the SAT.

If OP qualifies for full Pell ($7,395) and takes the first year student loan of $5.5K, that will cover a good proportion of room and board at Tech or UGA. They might also qualify for other merit awards.

OP, have you filed FAFSA yet? If so, what is your SAI (student aid index)?

4 Likes

I should’ve clarified.

I meant if I get deferred, my bad

Featured and daily :wink:

My first time was a 1310, I’ll likely study Desmos so I can at least get a 710+ math scoreI

I am elligible for Zell Miller and I’ve applied for FAFSA

Thank you for these suggestions, I really appreciate it

1 Like

I have, my SAI is -1500

I also have a question:

Would graduating 6 months early hurt my chances a bit? Considering I won’t be ranked and all.

Once again, thank you guys for replying

An SAT composite of 1420+ would be nice.

From high school? Why?

This shouldn’t pose a problem. You may want to check if some colleges will allow you enroll early, as soon as January or the next summer session. With ‘Zell Miller’ or institutional funding, of course.

It could be an issue if you listed senior year coursework on your application that will not be fully completed as a result of graduating early. Every college will compare your final transcript to the coursework listed on your application.