You mean 60k total over 4 years, so 15k/yr, right?
Try running NPC at W & Lee— you may be surprised.
You mean 60k total over 4 years, so 15k/yr, right?
Try running NPC at W & Lee— you may be surprised.
No pre calc. They can apply W&L but it’s not realistic.
Yes, for a student in AVID typically W&L would be lower cost than a public university but OP said they ran the NPCs and got net price 60k so it’s possible their family makes 250k or such but doesn’t intend to or can’t pay from their income, only from savings. W&L was a good test case to see if OP was eligible for significant financial aid.
If any college outside VA is considered, I would suggest colleges such as Clark, Ursinus, Muhlenberg, Goucher, since they may offer significant merit aid.
I missed that post.
@yqkuu hopefully net prices at the universities on your current list are close to $15/yr?
It’s really strange a meet need university would be 60k for s.o enrolled in AVID (generally FGLI students) but it might be related to the OP’s specific HSs policies.
I’m not familiar but most low income wouldn’t say they have a $45K budget although as we’re learning, it may be much less in reality.
You’re right wrt 45k/y but I thought this had changed?
Based on the numbers provided it sounded like 20+40 over 4 years? But perhaps OP’s parents intend to complete savings with income.
(AVID typically works with FGLI students who show academic potential, especially wrt college. However OP’s HS may have policies that include first gen in the US students.)
OHHHH OKAY TYSM I’ll still try to apply to out-of-state, perhaps I’ll get good aid :')
unfortunately, it’s just cause most colleges around me (that i’d like to go to) are 40k so I’ll likely end up in debt still :')
I apologize but what is a meet need uni and s.o enrolled in AVID…
I honestly haven’t looked too much into financial aid but my family makes a little over 150k a year-ish I believe? And my safeties are GMU VCU and a community college! And tysm!!
wait I feel like I may have misunderstood what a NPC is.. could you perhaps explain that to me for example I can probably at most do 45k per year and I searched what the price for W&L is 70k so prob more with board and fee. I’m super sorry, I’m new to all this :')
Then find other colleges.
That’s not a legit answer and how will you get the debt. You can borrow only $5500. Will your parents qualify for a loan and are they willing to take on that debt because as a co signer, it will ultimately be theirs.
If you can only afford to stay at the Days Inn, you don’t stay at the Marriott.
College is no different.
My parents are fine with 40-45k per year
Your parents - not you - should run the net price calculator. You don’t have all their info. If they make $110K, it’s unlikely W&L is $70K plus.
Have them fill this out.
There’s a difference from being fine (I can pay) or taking on debt. You don’t want debt, especially with your majors which will likely lead to lower paying jobs. There are lower cost schools - I mentioned Salisbury, as an example, even though it’s out of state but close by.
Goood luck.
ohhh wait I didn’t realize what NPC was I apologize…
They need to do it. You don’t know all of their financial data. They need their tax forms, brokerage/bank forms and more.
It stands for Net Price Calculator
Every school has one. Some, like Salisbury, uses your academics to tell you the merit. But they are high 30s even without.
U Mary Washington, not on your list, but is $31,724 billed to student - meaning tuition, room, and board - that’s this year. So not books and other things which cost too. If you lived on campus, you would get $5K merit if you have a 1200 or 25 SAT too (it’s required for merit).. If you lived home, your costs would be lower as there’s no room and board - and the merit aid would too - $1,500. So they are giving you $3500 to live at school.
So there are lower cost and excellent Virginia publics much lower than $40-45K.
ahh okay! when I get home I’ll try to get them to do it, thank you so much. I’m new to all this so I didn’t understand what you meant haha tysm I didn’t know this was a thing!
I didn’t realize what a NPC was sorry, I answered wrong lol my parents actually make 150k-ish per year, I thought what you meant was how much w&l was per year for me since I didn’t know what NPC was I apologize!! When I get home I’ll reupdate with actual NPC