Again, my intent to write about the interaction I had at the program is nothing about the program itself. That is a side thought I had after writing it. Also, if you didn’t notice, Vogue isn’t on my activities list it’s on my awards list to fill space. Perhaps, you would find it a stronger essay if I write about bringing us all together on this thread to chance me instead.
Admissions officers generally view short-term, pay-to-play pre-college summer programs as enrichment or exploration rather than selective achievements. Because acceptance rates are high for students who can afford the tuition, it does not carry the same weight as a selective, merit-based summer program or a rigorous research internship. Though Vogue Summer School carries high brand recognition and offers fun industry access, it is not considered a deeply prestigious academic credential for college admissions.
Do not include this in the Awards section.
Wow! I also am out.
Do I remove this and replace it with a school level model un award? But i already mentioned the award in activities section. Or I could replace it with honors society. But every student has that and it wouldn’t set me apart. I thought being selected as the ambassador (only one ambassador is selected for each term) would be more unique than the other options I just listed. Also, my peers from Vogue put it on their awards section and they were admitted. But whatever you think is stronger is valuable information.
If you also won a leadership or achievement award in Model UN, you should list the award in the awards section & the VP leadership under extracurricular & cocurricular activities. I am shocked at how many times students suggest omitting an activity like National Honor Society fearing that it might sound too generic or appear as just a filler. Applicants should list all activities, even if no leadership, including NHS. If you don’t, the committee is going to assume that you never were in NHS & wonder why you didn’t qualify (e.g. poor conduct, prior disciplinary action, couldn’t afford dues, etc.)
You are 100% committed to this. This is your application & you control it. If you want to list your Vogue experience under awards, then do it. And of course, mention your selection as an ambassador & also the competitiveness of the selection (1 out of 10, 100, 1000?) Just make sure everything you write is in your authentic voice.
If you happened to hit 750RW, 750M on the retake, expect a positive response from NYU.
OP- you have an interesting way of communicating with total strangers who are trying to help you. Watch your tone in your application essays. That’s going to be more important than one or more random awards or activities, especially if they are there to “fill space”.
I’m simply so frustrated having to reiterate my perspective. I’ve said multiple times I appreciate everyone’s feedback, because I do. In general, I’ve heard positive reviews besides the topic I chose to write about for the supplemental essay. I acknowledged the feedback that went against my idea, and refuted it by providing a reinterpretation of the thought behind my essay, yet that reinterpretation was dismissed and the focus stayed on my original post. So, yes, it felt like I was typing to a wall when my reinterpretation was continuously ignored. Not a single one of you had to volunteer your time to provide your feedback, and I am grateful that you did otherwise. I reply with care and passion because this is a time in my life and many others that is really important, so I hope you can view my attitude in that light. I started this to hear how competitive I am for ED1 to NYU Steinhardt, and that is all.
You are competitive. So asked and answered. Posters here are trying to make your application even MORE compelling, given that your “competition” is mostly as well qualified as you (some with more rigor, some with less; some who fit a specific institutional need and some who do not, etc.). That’s all. HS students sometimes miss the forest for the trees, and the “old folks” on here- many are teachers (HS AND college), many have years and years of experience reading application essays, many counsel HS kids in specific “ready for college” programs, etc. So you take what you think fits you- you ignore what doesn’t- and you get on with your very busy senior year life. That’s the drill.
None of us are showing up at your house to insist that you change your essay topic, edit your list of activities, etc. And none of us will see your final version of your application, none of us know what your teachers say about you.
But specific programs (Steinhardt, Huntsman at Penn, the accelerated BA/MD variants, etc.) have a “reputation” out there in HS land about what they are looking for. And often the “reputation” is based on one or three datapoints-- perhaps true outliers- and does not represent the best way to approach an application.
We’re just trying to be as helpful as we can. And hoping you have a robust list of backup colleges just in case NYU doesn’t come through for you.
I’m no essay or admission expert but I think signaling anything is a bad idea. They read thousands of essays year after year and prob a large fraction of them are about how they overcame a tragic situation and triumphed. I think the focus should be sharing or revealing something authentic about yourself.
