Chances for NYU CAS not great GPA [NY resident, 3.7 UW GPA, 1510 SAT, economics]

Demographics

  • State/Location of residency: NY
  • Type of high school (or current college for transfers): 3 Years Catholic (F S S) One Year Oublic (J)
  • Female Mixed
  • Single Parent Household Income 110k

Intended Major(s)

Economics

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

  • Unweighted HS GPA:3.7
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1510 SAT

List your HS coursework

Only my Public had APS

  • English: Introduction to Literature & Grammar, American Literature, Grammar & Composition, AP Lang, World Literature College English 101
  • Math: Geometry, Algebra 2, Precalc, Calclus
  • Science: Chemistry, Physics, Ap Physics, Engineering
  • History and social studies: World History, European History, AP US History, American History II
  • Language other than English: French 1 and 2, Spanish 1
  • Visual or performing arts: Orchestra all 4 years
  • Other academic courses: Architecture, Health, Computer, College Psychology

Awards

Extracurriculars

  1. Founder & Developer — built and monetized a music collaboration platform; earned profits from users across 11 countries
  2. Entrepreneur Independent Businesses — computer building ($10K+ revenue), party rentals ($6K+ revenue), and e-commerce/POD
  3. Content Creator — 4M+ views, 10K+ followers, brand collaborations
  4. Marketing Intern
  5. Founder & Writer Economics of Music Blog the economics, marketing, and business behind the music industry
  6. Founder Music & Arts Access Workshop — music/arts programming for lower-income students
  7. Founder & President — Shark Tank / Entrepreneurship Club
  8. Founder & President — Music Composition Club
  9. Robotics — 4 Years Regional Championship Winner
  10. Varsity Golf

Essays/LORs/Other

I would say my essay is strong its about connecting my culture and the way it is presneted in the media vs the way I live it and I connected it to starting buisnesses

Schools
NYU ED

NYU does require financial information from both parents even if they are divorced or separated: First-Year Applicants

When using NYU’s net price calculator at Net Price Calculator , be sure to include the financial information of both parents in order to get a reasonable estimate.

1 Like

You have great rigor - and an overall solid profile.

But your foreign language may be what dooms you. Why did you only take two years of French. Was it not offered in year three? They want three years - presumably in one language.

Please ensure you can afford before you ED. Also, I don’t believe NYU is need blind.

NYU is a school for the wealthy. They meet need but only 1499 of 5645 received need aid.

So I would bet against - but as you are in Catholic school, ask your counselors. If you are URM, it will help if you are able to weave it through your application (box checks don’t help).

Anyway, all need a plan so apply ED but ensure you have a list to pull from in case you don’t get in and know the deadlines of those schools. Don’t miss any EA deadlines.

When I transferred my Public school did not have French so thats why its like that and they don’t have seniors taking langauge since I went back to my private school.But thank you for the reply.

Thank you!

I would apply to NYU but do consider other alternatives: CUNY, SUNY, Fordham, Rutgers (in NJ), Syracuse, The New School. All offer undergraduate degrees in economics. Even if you were to get admitted to NYU, you may not be satisfied with their financial aid offer. If this is a potential concern, then I would avoid applying ED.

3 Likes

Make sure your counselor notes that.

Make sure the family does the NPC for NYU as its binding.

Fordham doesn’t meet need - and aid is typically less. And Rutgers is over $60K. You are out of state. You could get merit but it’s still going to be way too much - like 40s, 50s - for someone making $110K.

So not sure it’s wise - vs. a SUNY or a lower priced school like Ramapo - which likely will still be too much.

Privates like Manhattan and Hofstra may be worth a look depending on your cost needs - or CCNY or a close to NYC SUNY like Purchase or New Paltz - it seems like you are trying to stay closer.

Your GPA is your GPA.

Is it unweighted? If so, it’s not low and having gone to a private school, they’d need to address.

Given the cost of things and your family income, I sure hope you are bouncing costs and affordability against it. Unless your family has huge assets, you are choosing schools likely above what you can afford.

Good luck.

I am applying to fordam and rutgers just wnated to see my chances for NYU because it is my dream school its jsut my fault my gpa got low but thank you I know the finaical aid is tricky

Thank you I will, for the URM statment when you said it could help but box checks dont what could I do to use the fact that I am.

A 3.7 unweighted GPA is a solid “A-” GPA. It isn’t a ‘low’ GPA, but it certainly isn’t a perfect one either.

I’m sure you’ve seen this webpage already. If you truly cannot afford NYU, they’ll release you from the binding commitment, if admitted through ED1 or ED2, and likely in favor of a full-pay student.

NYU Early Decision page for First-Year Applicants

NYU New Employee Introduction to Benefits

Essays, clubs involved (which doesn’t mean you are) - but it can be intertwined somehow, etc.

Yes - but you should know if you can afford it up front based on the NPC. If the NPC says $50K and you needed it to be $20K, then shame on you for applying ED. That you can’t afford isn’t a reason for undoing - when you knew this up front.

1 Like

Yeah my essay pretty much is about that so I think that works

1 Like

Thank you I’m in a weird situation but I should be able to afford if I do everything right, my dad also works for NYU hospital and he told me that he has some tution beneifits. My biggest concern is that I have enough to get in

I’m also applying for CUNY as well such as Hunters so if I can’t afford it I still have safe backups.

1 Like

Then, you should absolutely apply ED1 if there is a tuition & likely also an admissions advantage. This is also the case with Columbia University with first-year applicants of current employees.

1 Like

Thank you, I was confused at first for NYU cause I thought I only had to put household Income but now that I see its both it makes more sense. My overall biggest concern is my application at this point although the GPA isnt the best I think my ecs balance out. My school also doesn’t offer clubs like DECA or something similar so hopefully admissions won’t look at that negativley

Don’t worry about things that are outside of your control, like curriculum & clubs that aren’t offered. Focus on your list of ten ECs & presenting them in the best light.

1 Like

Why worry ? You can’t do anything about it.

ECs are unlikely to make up for a GPA - but there’s no reason to worry. If you don’t get in, then another school gets to have you. NYU’s loss.

Give it a try and have back ups.

1 Like

You’re right thank you

1 Like