chance me please?

<p>So UPenn is definitely one of my top schools, but I'm not sure if I have a chance at getting in. I am an Asian female, and I live in California. I feel relatively confident about my personal statement and supplemental essay because I had several people read it. Both of my teachers that wrote my letters of recommendations I heard are good, but I didn't read either of them. I plan on going in undecided. I feel like I am not strong compared to many applicants, and without a legacy it will be harder. I'm scared to fall in love with a school because I know that if I don't get in, I'll be devastated. So I guess I just want to be mentally prepared. Any ideas would help! Thank you!!</p>

<p>GPA: UW: 3.96, W: 4.64
Rank: my school does decile, so top 10%, but technically I am in at least the top 5%
SAT: CR: 720 M: 780 W: 790, superscore: 2290, best in one sitting: 2210
PSAT: 224, national merit scholarship semifinalist
SAT II: Math 2: 780, US Hist: 790</p>

<p>APs:
Euro (3), Art Hist (5), APUSH (5), AP US Gov/Pol (5), Chinese (5)
Plan to take this year: Bio, Calc AB
Oh, and I took the class for Spanish AP (Language) junior year, but I didn't take the test, so on my transcript colleges will see that I took 4 years of Spanish
IBs:
Mandarin B SL (7)
Plan to take this year: English A1 HL, 20th Cent. History and Regional Studies HL, Visual Arts HL, Biology SL, Math SL
I am a full IB diploma candidate</p>

<p>EC's summary:
Yearbook: 3 years, section editor for two years
FBLA: 2 years, board member senior year
Interact: 3 years, board member senior year
Greater Contribution Club: cofounder, VP 3 years
AID Summer (volunteer teaching program)
Big Brothers Big Sisters: 1 year
National Honor Society: 2 years
California Scholarship Federation: 3 years
Volunteer Orchestra (1st violin): 2 years
Tutor: 3 years
Chinese School TA: 3 years
Pretty much I have 300+ recorded community service hours</p>

<p>What school in Penn are you applying to? And did you indicate race on the app?</p>

<p>I'm applying to the School of Arts and Sciences undecided. I think I do have my race checked off right now, but I have not submitted yet, should I take it off? My last name makes it pretty obvious though, and I do mention it in my essays...</p>

<p>I would say you have a decent chance. Just be sure that your "Why Penn" essay is awesome!</p>

<p>Cool! My "Why Penn" essay is pretty detailed, I got a bit carried away with my research haha, it seems like the more I research about it the more I love the school! It is over the word count though, which is one page or approximately 500 words. My essay is 1 page single spaced but around 650 words. Do you think this is bad? Should I cut it down more? I don't feel like there is a lot of rambling, I was just detailed and gave a lot of examples.</p>

<p>Your essay can most likely be cut down. Unless every single word holds its weight, there are usually ways to make the writing crisper and more concise. While I feel that going over the word limit might not kill your chances, I read an article where it explained how colleges use word limits to see if students can write concisely and follow directions. I think it's in your best interests to follow those rules. Have others read and cut to help you out. </p>

<p>Also, make sure you use the Why Penn essay to reflect on you. It shouldn't be a brochure about the school. Research definitely helps, but people get carried away and just start praising the school. </p>

<p>As for whether or not you should apply -- you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. That should answer your question. As for your actual chances, you have the stats, but nothing stands out in terms of ECs. I'd say you have a shot, but nothing guaranteed or "certain." Your essays and recs will play a large role, so make sure they're excellent.</p>

<p>Chance me back?
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pennsylvania/1256021-chance-me-wharton.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pennsylvania/1256021-chance-me-wharton.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>You seem to be pretty well-rounded. You have the scores and the extracurriculars. As long as your essays are good, I would say you stand a decent chance.
Chance me back?</p>

<p>I'm an Asian-American female applying to the Huntsman program in Wharton.</p>

<p>GPA: UW: 3.96, W: idk
SAT: CR: 770 M: 770 W: 730, superscore: 2270, best in one sitting: 2210
PSAT: 202 (not that good, i know. but i was national merit qualifier)
SAT II: Math 2: 800, taking Bio subject test in january
ACT: 32</p>

<p>APs:
Calculus AB - 10th grade (5), Calculus BC (subscore) - 10th grade (5), AP Chinese - 10th grade (5), AP Psychology - 11th grade (5), AP Bio -11th grade (4), AP Lang - 11th grade (4)
Taking this year: AP Lit, AP Chem, AP Stats</p>

<p>EC's summary:
President/co-founder of Chinese Club
First year in DECA
Three years in Science Club
Two years in Interact Club
Tutor three Chinese exchange students
Worked at a movie theatre for 8 months
In the top choir at school
One of the founders of the Acapella singing group at school
National Honor Society for 3 years
JV volleyball freshman and sophomore year
Relay for Life captain for 3 years (this will be my fourth)
Volunteered at my chinese school
200+ volunteer hours in total</p>

<p>Decent letter of recs (probably nothing extremely special)
Good essays (not finalized yet.) My common app one is pretty great in my opinion, but the topic is regarding sports which is a little overdone.</p>

<p>Also, how much weight do siblings carry if they are alumni at UPenn? My sister was in the Huntsman program. I know siblings aren't legacy, but will that be of much help?</p>

<p>i think you definitely have a chance! although i heard wharton is even harder to get in! i heard that siblings do help.. i am not positive but i know it won't hurt! haha</p>

<p>Does Penn appreciate creative responses to the "Why Penn" prompt? I have a relatively straightforward essay but I formatted it differently to spice it up. Am I better off just leaving it plain? What about the optional personal essay?</p>

<p>Thanks for your input (:
From what I've heard, you should always keep your essays interesting. As long as you are still answering the prompt and getting the message across, voice and style are what set you apart from other applicants. If you are able to show why you fit Penn well in a unique way, I think that would be very beneficial for you! But I'd advise you to have some people read it over in case you "spiced it up" in a way that takes away from your message.
The same definitely applies to the personal essay. You should make that essay as "you" as possible. The more character and voice you put in that, the better. It's their way of gauging whether you would fit in the Penn community well or not. Also, they read a bajillion straightforward essays so if you're able to do something unique with yours, I'm sure they'd appreciate it hahah.
Good luck!!</p>