Hi all, I’m a high school junior thinking of colleges I want to apply to next year. I got awful grades in my 9th (1.7 GPA) and 10th (2.2 GPA) grades, but so far in my 11th year I have a 4.0. If I keep up my 4.0 (which hopefully I will be able to do unless I totally bomb my finals), I’ll have around a 2.5 at the start of my senior year.
My original plan was to apply to a ton of CSU’s (I’m in-state), but I recently talked to my counsellor and learned that I don’t meet the A-G requirements. I thought that I will meet the requirements because I assumed that they calculated course credits differently than they actually do, but here I am lol. Instead I’ve been looking at schools in Oregon and Washington, but it hurts that I’ll be missing out on in-state tuition lol
So I’ve found some other colleges I might apply to instead, some private (most of these I honestly don’t know if I would be able to afford – so keeping my hopes low on them), and some public ones, including ones with discounted tuition thanks to WUE. I’d appreciate any advice on my chances to these schools, and if anyone has any advice on where else I might apply for safeties, targets, and reaches, I’ll appreciate that a lot too My desired major is computer science, and possibly marine biology or graphic design as well. For public colleges I’d prefer schools located in a large city and generally want to avoid the midwest and south, but I’ll take what I can get lol. I don’t mind the location as much for LAC’s because most of them give me good vibes regardless lmao
College List (in no particular order):
- University of San Francisco
- Portland State
- Oregon State (primarily because they have an awesome marine biology program)
- Western Washington University
- Bard College
- Chapman University
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of British Columbia
- Penn State
- Also considering applying to NYU, UW Madison, Grinnell, and Colgate as reaches, but don’t know if it’d be worth it for the tiny chance of admission
- GPA: 2.5
- SAT: Haven’t taken it yet, hopefully will be able to but I’m really not sure if I can. I got a 1230 on the PSAT in 10th grade, and before that a 1140 in 9th. If I improve a similar amount this year, I’ll get around a 1320, but hopefully I would get a higher score as I’ve been studying just in case I get to take it
- Extracurriculars: Nothing special, only hobbies. I’ve taught myself basic Python but I don’t know if that’s notable enough to add to my application. I’m also teaching myself guitar and can pretty confidently say that I’m good with graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Location: North Central California. Not much up here lol
- Identity: Female, mixed race and transgender
- I do have an explanation for my poor 9-10th grade GPA. I’d prefer not to share it here because it’s personal and sort of embarassing, but it wasn’t just lack of motivation/not trying
I’ll appreciate any advice I can get Sorry for the long post!