High School: Public
High School Type: sends some grads to top schools
Will apply for financial aid: Yes</p>

<p>Academics:</p>

<p>GPA - Unweighted: 3.9
GPA - Weighted: 4.34
Current Course Load:
Italian 2,
We The People (a constitutional theory class that is part of a national competition), Physics,
Latin 4-5 (although this is technically my 6th year--we just don't have a class beyond AP, which I took last year and plan to take again next year when the curriculum is changed),
AP US Gov,
Art 4,
AP BC Calculus,
American Lit
Class Rank: around top 5% (school doesn't rank)
Class Size: about 160</p>

<p>Scores:</p>

<p>SAT I Math: 730
SAT I Critical Reading: 780
SAT I Writing: 750
SAT II U.S. History: 760
APs: US History(5), Latin-Vergil(5)</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:</p>

<p>Significant Extracurriculars:
Latin Tutoring
Virginia Latin Convention (5 years)
NHS
Latin Summer Governor's School (2011)
Crew for 2011 Spring Musical
Latin Club
Latin Honor Society
Co-Managed Field Hockey Team (2011
Leadership positions:
Co-manager of Field Hockey Team (11)
Co-president of Latin Club (11)
Co-secretary of Latin Club (10)
Latin Honor Society Officer
Athletic Status:
JV Field Hockey (9,10)
Volunteer/Service Work:
ASK Children's Cancer Organization (camp counseling, data entry, various odd jobs)
Western Hanover Arts and Music Camp (counselor)
Latin Tutor
Honors and Awards:
Cum Laude National Latin Exam (9,10)
Bronze Medal Medusa Mythology Exam (10)
Honorable Mention Classical Association of VA Test (9,10)
Silver Key Scholastic Art Award (10)
Latin Summer Governor School Nominee</p>

<p>I'll give you a 16.4% chance. Much higher than average because of your high SAT score (and awards).</p>

<p>Small point about the resume: take the "gov school nominee" off, because you went, and so the fact that you were your school's nominee is redundant. The redundancy made me spend about a minute confused-ly trying to figure out whether you were currently waiting to hear back or if you had been nominated by your school but rejected from the program itself.</p>

<p>To the larger picture. Your stats, obviously, are fantastic. A+. I like that you are a humanities person still scoring very high on the SAT I math and enrolled in Calc BC. It's clear that your main strength is Latin; it's great that your resume clearly displays that, rather than the aimlessness I sometimes see on CC forums. However, do you win things at VJCL? As somebody scoring an honorable mention on the CAV, are you not able to place in grammar or reading comprehension? If your resume isn't omitting awards, I'm concerned. (I say this as a veteran of Virginia Latin; one of the prefrosh on this forum has figured out who I am, but I don't know who he is, so I was too uncomfortable to confirm it. If he sees this, yes, that's me, who are you?) You have a strong resume, but usually the people from Virginia Latin who get in are, I'm sorry, much stronger. They have state or national office, or they sweep the tests, or they participate extensively in something else also, or some combination of those. I can see three ways you could get in: I can't tell just from this thread if your field hockey management or volunteering could be the something-beyond-Latin of the third category, but if you're really involved with one of them, that could work. If you're from an area where Latin excellence is less expected than it is at some of the NoVa powerhouses, your achievements will count for more. Or you have truly excellent recommendations/essays, you could be successful. Looking at VJCL alumni at Harvard, I'm sorry to say that your objective Latin achievements won't get you in the door. That said, the three more subjective nuances to your application I listed very well could, and I don't think there's any question that you're a strong enough candidate to make it worth your while to apply. I wish I could be more positive, but almost anyone's chances are very slim, given the volume of applications; yours probably at least a little less slim than most.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for replying. About the awards at VJCL, I have so many over the 5 years I've gone that I'm still trying to track down records for all of them... I had 4 or 5 top 10 finishes in the academic tests this year, I think 2 or 3 in the top 5 (I know I got 2nd in prose). I come from a rural county just north of Richmond, so not one of the NoVa schools, but I attend a small Governor's school in Richmond. Don't know if that makes any difference. I was mostly looking for some indication that applying would be the way to go, so your comments are much appreciated.</p>

<p>Correction: 4 top 10, 3 within top 5</p>

<p>I think you have a pretty good chance. Your ECs are stellar and your grades are good enough so good luck!</p>

<p>Okay, good; those awards definitely kick your resume from "eh" to "solid," if still not exceptional in a land where E.L. used to roam. (Do you even remember her? You would've overlapped with her for your first two years of convention, I think. If you don't remember her, she tended to wear all her medals around her neck. By the end of the award ceremony, the amount of jingling when she moved was always borderline-chainmail.) Have you ever been to a nationals? If not, I'd encourage you to try to go if there's not something you have a burning desire to be doing during that week of the summer. If money's an issue, there are a few scholarships available for the cost. I think placing in something nationally--or even going and just making the effort--would help you out. I don't know if you'd be interested in running for Editor or Historian, but those elections occur at nationals and state offices tend to help send their holders to the Ivies/similar. (Not quite so much so for historian, but the historians are usually less academic otherwise, so I don't know if it would provide a similar boost to a student with a resume as academic as yours.) [At least one of the VJCLers currently here was never a state officer, though.]</p>

<p>Also, JCLers can and should attach more extensive resumes than is the norm. This may get a little ridiculously extensive, so make sure to organize it clearly. I then weeded awards that didn't tell a clear story: anything language gets to stay, because one is always trying to show one's actual language abilities, but beyond that some of them can get superfluous. For me, for instance...let's say I was a culture buff who liked language, Latin oratory, and painting. Culture, language, Latin oratory, and painting awards would all get to stay; that one time I randomly won 4th place in mythology as a sophomore, or the couple years I experimented with t-shirt designing and got okay places before I gave that up would not. Do try to be as concise as possible, but "concise as possible" is sometimes different with JCL than with some other extracurriculars.</p>

<p>I am actually planning on going to Nationals if I can...my school doesn't go, so I'm still working on figuring out how to join as a member-at-large for the VA delegation, considering running for office :P Your input has been immensely helpful-- thank you so much for taking the time! Just out of curiosity, have you taken any classes in the classics dept at Harvard? I've been trying to find someone who can give me a little more insight into the program</p>

<p>I've only taken one classics course here, and it was more classics-affiliated than classics. I'm still, more or less, a part of the classics "scene" here, though, so feel free to PM me with questions.</p>