Chance my daughter ED 1 and ED 2 [4.0 GPA, Italian or European studies, need substantial FA/scholarships]

I agree with this. If the OP can’t visit, I recommend a quick Google Earth (3-D) look at the landscape. Trinity has one of the most appealing campuses in the NESCAC sports conference. But as you zoom out, you can plainly see that it gets quickly swallowed up by mile upon mile of densely populated neighborhoods. From a bird’s eye POV, they don’t even look particularly dangerous. I just don’t get the sense that there is a “main drag” like Brown’s Thayer Street or Middletown’s Main Street to attract students off campus, so it sort of feels like an enclave even though it’s not exactly a gated community.

Fwiw, my kid really liked Trinity. His CC suggested it, and we looked mainly because we trusted her. Beautiful campus, great academics, and to their credit, they have figured out how to leverage their location with internships, volunteer opportunities, etc. While that may not pertain to the OP’s language interests, it is good to have these kinds of options, for everything from making curriculum relevant to starting to build a career resume to making the world at a small LAC a little bigger.

He knows a number of people who attended (from high school, sports, and work) and they all really liked their experience. Very solid choice!

2 Likes

I know some students who have been quite happy at Trinity. However, my kids were less interested in Trinity than some other New England liberal arts colleges because over the years, my family has known quite a few African-American, Afro-Latino and FGLI students who were unhappy with their experiences there and uncomfortable with a student body where many seemed entitled. This seems odd to me given Trinity has fantastic need-based aid, but the students whom I know attended 10ish years ago and perhaps at that point Trinity had not managed to accrue a critical mass of non wealthy & preppy kids at that point. It might be different now.

2 Likes

D felt the vibe at Trinity was too preppy for her tastes and did not apply – but of course that is an individual preference. We all felt Trinity was academically very strong. Hopefully you can visit before making a decision.

2 Likes

In the end, OP has a tight budget - so hopefully one will get them where they need to be. Sometimes, that’s what drives the choice.

1 Like

Agree. But if there are multiple affordable options then vibe/fit can be a factor.

3 Likes

We toured Trinity twice! Campus is beautiful. Study abroad program is great and she enjoyed her conversation with the student who conducted her interview. My oldest goes to Holy Cross (great fit for her). Trinity seems similar to holy cross. I can tell you for sure that holy cross has many full pay students and it’s been challenging for my daughter at times to be a kid with more financial challenges. But she’s figured it out! So the preppy vibes (or so I’ve heard) at Trinity worry me just a bit…my youngest though, she’s very artistic, sensitive, writer, etc. So we thought Wesleyan might be a better fit. However, at this point, she’s very much leaning towards Trinity! I do not think she’ll get into Wesleyan. Thank you for all these responses!

3 Likes

Sounds great!! Vibe/fit is such a personal thing so it is wonderful that you have visited. Good luck through the rest of the process.

2 Likes

You’ve visited twice. Did your daughter get preppy vibes when you were there? Sounds like she liked the vibes she got.

Why did you visit twice?

I’ve heard this part on these boards before and I’ll say what I said then. One guy’s experience, but a significant percentage of the Trinity people I know are African American. Anecdotally, and again, just my own little observation, but it seems kinda “hot” among the preppy African American kids recently. Who don’t seem preppy at all to me.

I’ll ask them. Another friend’s kid just got in ED.

Think you’re on to something here.

Many things.

It’s funny - I always had pre conceived notions of Trinity as rich and white - but the data actually shows that is HC and then Wesleyan (at least the rich part). Trinity is supporting a lot more kids % wise. Of course, aggregate #s mean little - because much depends on who your student ends up befriending.

Let’s hope you get in and have options - then you can go from there. If you’re not adding more apps (like CC or Colby), then you’ll run with the current list and worst case is UMASS/Westfield.

This data is from the full school, common data set - 23/24 on HC and 24/25 on the others.

% White % Need Aid
Holy Cross 72% 37%
Trinity 58% 59%
Wesleyan 54% 43%
UMASS 58%
3 Likes

This is helpful. Thank you!

It does seem like Connecticut would be wroth an app if the NPC works for you.

Trinity is actually not horribly difficult to get into - if you look at the CDS.

Out of state - their admission rate is 50%. In-state about 36%. International - 6% and the # of apps is near equal to out of state - so it’s not a small pie.

Like many, they also over WL - totally unfair - more than they even admit - perhaps that’s where the internationals end up.

Connecticut would be a smart app - if she doesn’t want to chance ending up at Salve Regina - it has a 60% OOS rate and only a 3.8% acceptance rate international.

Wow, not everyone breaks out the #s like these two - but these two do. It shows you the overall # isn’t really what you are facing.

So I’d feel good about Trinity but really good about CC. It is 68% white and 47% get need based aid.

Given you need a low cost, having merit (as they do) isn’t really a helpful thing.
And Salve Regina doesn’t seem to have Italian (just a minor) so I’m not sure that’s your fit either as a back up. Wheaton yes - if you can get to cost. Westfield State either. But Salem State does - so maybe that should be your ultra, ultra safety.

I’m feeling better now about Trinity - but CC would be a safe bet - and maybe look at Salem State instead of Westfield as your ultra safety. You’re unlikely to need it - but why settle for a different major if it comes to that? With needing $$, you never know.

2 Likes

It’s likely that 59% figure includes the approximately 30% of Trinity students taking out Stafford loans. Its own website states only 40% of its undergraduates receive direct aid from the college:

1 Like

OP has visited Trinity and student is comfortable there. IMO that is what is important.

4 Likes

Please remember this is a chance me. Replies should be focused on the OP. If you want to reply to another poster, please use PM. TIA!

2 Likes

OP I sent you the post I had flagged in DM. You seemed interested in data so I sent it. Yes, she’s applied and it’s great. If she gets in, she gets enough aid or doesn’t and you go from there.

But I know from the thread, you seem to enjoy data. It will appear in a green envelope in the upper right.

Thanks

Hello! Update! My daughter committed to Trinity for Italian studies with very generous aid. Thank you everyone for your insights and support!

21 Likes