***Disclaimer: this actually is for a friend haha. My stats are posted elsewhere on this board. Okay, to begin:
Class of 2016. He’s a white male, low-income and first generation to attend college. State of New York. Goes to a rural public high school that rarely sends kids anywhere prestigious.
- GPA: 3.76 unweighted, 4.04 weighted
- SAT: 2040 (will not submit)
- ACT: 35 (35 E, 34 M, 34 R, 35 S, 8 Essay)
- SAT II's: Has not taken, but will take Math 2 and Chemistry and maybe one other this fall.
- AP Scores: US History (2 - awful teacher); English Lang (4)
Senior year load:
- AP Computer Science
- AP Calc BC
- AP Chemistry
- Society, Literature and Truth (honors English/History hybrid course required for all seniors)
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing (college credit class through Project Lead the Way)
- Study Hall
Extracurriculars is where he’s lacking, because he’s had a lot of family problems over his high school career that have kept him from being able to participate much. Nevertheless, he’s got a few things:
- National Honors Society Member
- Gay-Straight Alliance member for 2 years
- 60+ hours of volunteering through various minor things
- 5 years of annual volunteer work for the Tri-County Science Fair
Recs should be great since his teachers love him, and essays should be good too. He’s going to discuss his family problems and how that kept him from participating a lot in activities.
And, finally, here is his school list:
- Columbia (he knows it's a reach but wants to apply anyway)
- College of W&M
- University of Rochester
- Fordham University
- Rochester Institute of Technology
Can you please chance my friend for the schools listed, and perhaps offer suggestions for other schools he can look into? He wants to stay in the New York area and wants to major in Chemistry most likely, or something related to chemistry. Thanks!