Chance Pleeease

<p>Objective:
* SAT I: 2380 M/CR-800 W-780
* ACT: 36
* SAT II: US History/Math II/Lit- 800
* Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.94
* Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 3/178
* AP (place score in parenthesis): World History(5), US History(5), Language(5), Chemistry(5), Psychology(5), Calculus BC(5)
* Senior Year Course Load: AP Biology, AP Literature, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP Comparative Politics, AP Physics C, AP Spanish
* Major Awards: AP Scholar with Distinction, USAMO participant, National Merit Scholar Finalist</p>

<p>Subjective:
* Extracurriculars: Varsity Soccer (Captain, Robotics Club (President), Mu Alpha Theta (President), Key Club (President)
* Job/Work Experience: Camp Counselor for 2 years, Kumon Tutor for 4 years
* Volunteer/Community service: 400+ hours at local thrift shop</p>

<p>Other:
* State (if domestic applicant): FL
* School Type: Public
* Ethnicity: Asian
* Income Bracket: 80k-100k</p>

<p>I would say that you have the whole package. I have two suggestions though. 1. Try SAT one more time and go for the perfect score. The difference between a 2380 and a 2400 is the difference between a 2050 and a 2200. It looks very good to have that perfect score. 2. You have the stats. Harvard wants a person, not a robot. Many people with your stats get denied. That is because they cannot show their personality. Demonstrate passion in your essay and write about something nonacademic. You have already proven you are good in that category. It is still somewhat of a game of luck, but if you write your essay well, you should get in.
Chance me?
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/970863-what-my-chances.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/970863-what-my-chances.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>
[quote]
Try SAT one more time and go for the perfect score.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>No, don't.</p>

<p>I agree with silverturtle. Your stats are fine the way they are. I do have one question about the national merit award you listed. That's a prediction, right?</p>

<p>you'd probably get rejected if you retake the SAT after getting a 2380.</p>

<p>@tolalvtweety- yep</p>

<p>Yeah please do yourself a favor and listen to silverturtle and the other wise people on this thread, DON'T TAKE IT AGAIN! A 2380 is awesome and going for a 2400 will make you seem like a neurotic/obsessive person who doesn't have anything better to do :)</p>

<p>Heh, yeah I don't really plan on taking it again. I had a friend who retook a 2390 and dropped to a 2270. Whoops.</p>

<p>Weak extracurriculars and awards, especially for an Asian applicant. Aside from USAMO, there's nothing that separates you from the rest of the pack. Despite the prestige of the USAMO participation, it is not likely to pull you into Harvard by itself. You'll need to venture beyond your high school in order to get the non-academic component (that's 50% of the admissions formula) to a higher score.</p>

<p>nah dude, USAMO is legit. And your 50% thing is false. Harvard is 1/3 academics (cob has this down), 1/3 extra curriculars (cob has this down too), and 1/3 personal skills.</p>

<p>Just do what I did.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The difference between a 2380 and a 2400 is the difference between a 2050 and a 2200.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This person obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Demonstrate passion in your essay and write about something nonacademic.

[/quote]

:confused: The passion part, yes. Nonacademic, I dunno.
You CommonApp essay, in my opinion, functions as a sort of personal statement. If that has to do with academics, then go for it. It's not a hard and fast rule that your essay must be "nonacademic," though.</p>

<p>MeSsIaH.: </p>

<p>nah dude, USAMO is legit. And your 50% thing is false. Harvard is 1/3 academics (cob has this down), 1/3 extra curriculars (cob has this down too), and 1/3 personal skills.</p>

<p>-
Wouldn't that just mean 66% is non-academic?</p>

<p>
[quote]
This person obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Let me apologize for my post. I was in a horrible mood and started out wanting to be sarcastic. The second part of my advice is good though.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I was in a horrible mood and started out wanting to be sarcastic.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Oh, it's okay. Sometimes, I feel like that too. :)</p>