Chance Rising Senior for Politics/IR @ Ivy+ & T50 Schools [TX Resident, 3.9 UW, 35 ACT, 2/35]

Demographics

  • US domestic

  • Suburban Texas

  • Small Public High School [>100 kids total]

Intended Major(s)

  • Politics

  • International Relations

  • Public Policy

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

  • Unweighted HS GPA: 3.906

  • Weighted HS GPA: 4.492 [On Level: 4, Honors: 4.5, AP/DC: 5]

  • Class Rank: 2/35

  • ACT/SAT Scores: 35 [Math: 36, Science: 35, English: 35, Reading: 33]

List your HS coursework

  • English: Honors Eng 1: 96, Honors Eng 2: 97, Dual Credit Eng 3: 94

  • Math: Honors Algebra 1: 87, Honors Geometry: 94, Honors Algebra 2: 98, Dual Credit Precalc: 96, AP Stats: 92, AP Calc AB: 93

  • Science: Honors Bio: 90, Dual Credit Chemistry: 92, Dual Credit Physics: 96, Dual Credit Bio 2: 100

  • History and social studies: AP World: 96, Personal Financial Literacy: 97, AP Human Geo: 91, APUSH: 98, Dual Credit Sociology: 100, Dual Credit Psychology: 91

  • Language other than English: Spanish 1: 87, Spanish 2: 84

  • Visual or Performing Arts: Dual Credit Music Appreciation: 91, Dual Credit Art Appreciation: 98

  • Other academic courses: AP Computer Science Principles: 96, AP Computer Science A: 96, Dual Credit Communications: 99

Awards

  • Presidential Volunteer Service Award: 100+ Hours of Community Service

  • Regional Gold Medalist in Customer Service for CTSO: Customer Service Rep Roleplay

  • CTSO National Statesman: Civic Knowledge and National Advocacy to Senator

  • Boys State Nomination (Unable to attend due to conflict)

  • AP Scholar w/ Distinction

Extracurriculars
Elected CTSO National Officer, State Officer, Regional Officer, Local Officer

  • Elected by the National Delegation after a rigorous selection process.

  • National Advocate for Skilled Trades, CTSO, CTE, and students.

  • Led National Conference teaching advocacy to 500+ students, resulting in 100+ advocacy visits on Capitol Hill.

  • Spearheaded a national initiative to teach advocacy skills to underprivileged members.

  • Student Board Liaison to the board with industry partners at Fortune 500 companies.

  • Represented nearly half a million members nationwide.

City Youth Council

  • Selected as 1 of 7 members from a pool of 400 applicants for the city’s youth advisory council.

  • Advanced a city sustainability initiative, contributing ideas and recommendations on environmental policy and community development.

  • Represented the youth perspective in city council meetings and policy discussions with local government officials.

Student Council

  • Advise school leadership and administration on student needs, concerns, and campus improvement initiatives.

  • Lead mental health awareness and student well-being initiatives to support a healthier school environment.

  • Promote and strengthen an inclusive, welcoming campus culture through student engagement and advocacy efforts.

Skilled Trades Ambassador

  • Collaborate with students nationwide to promote skilled trades, career and technical education (CTE), and workforce development.

  • Partner with the U.S. Department of Labor on a national social media initiative, creating interactive videos to increase student engagement and awareness of career opportunities.

  • Develop and share digital content highlighting the value of skilled trades and career readiness pathways.

Congressional App Challenge Ambassador

  • Led outreach efforts to schools and districts across the region to expand program awareness and participation.

  • Drove a record 14,000+ applicants through strategic marketing, recruitment, and partnership initiatives.

  • Built relationships with educators, administrators, and community partners to increase student engagement and program growth.

National Honor Society

  • Elected Historian by the student body.

  • Launched a math tutoring program for Title I students in grades 6–9, providing academic support and improving access to educational resources.

  • Organized a community hygiene drive, collecting and distributing essential personal care items to individuals and families in need.

  • Coordinate a delegation for a leadership development program in partnership with the Dallas Mavericks, helping students build communication, teamwork, and leadership skills.

Schools

  • Princeton

  • Stanford

  • Harvard

  • Yale

  • Georgetown

  • Boston College

  • UChicago

  • Notre Dame

  • American University

  • Northeastern University

  • UPenn

  • Brown University

  • UNC Chapel Hill

  • UVA

  • UT Austin

  • Richmond

  • UMass Amherst

  • UPitt

  • SMU

  • TCU

Will you be taking Spanish 3?

I think your list is well balanced between sure things, some matches, and a bunch of reaches. As long as you are happy with your sure thing options, it’s fine to apply to a bunch of reach schools. You are a strong applicant, IMHO. 12 of those colleges are reach schools, but I think you have a good chance at possible acceptance.

I do think a third year of foreign language would be a good idea. I believe some of your colleges recommend 3 years…and right now you only have two years listed.

I don’t see your annual college budget. Can your family afford these colleges? You should run the net price calculators for an estimate of your net costs at these colleges, and discuss the affordability with your parents. You might have to do the NPCs again in September because some won’t be updated for students starting college in fall 2027 until late summer.

3 Likes

You might want to consider Tufts, BU, and George Washington.

1 Like

Yeah i’ll be taking honors spanish 3 this upcoming school year or possibly ap spanish lang depending on prereqs. As far as cost my parents have ~$250,000 saved up for me and most of the schools on my list should reach the rest of my demonstrated need. My parents have also expressed that if needed they will take out a parent PLUS loan. They have said don’t worry about college cost. Thank you for your insight!

I toured all these schools and didn’t really feel fit but obviously that’s just from one impression. Is there any specific reason you suggest these schools? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Just FYI…

As of July 1, Parent Plus Loans will be limited to $20,000 a year, with an aggregate total amount of $65000…per student.

Good about Spanish 3!

2 Likes

They’re all strong in politics and international relations. And although all 3 are competitive, they seemed like they might not be as much of a reach as most of the other schools on your list.

3 Likes

I’ll definitely have to take further look into them. Thank you!

I think you have a good list with a good number of likely admits and a lot of reaches. You might consider reducing the number of reach schools just because it’s a lot of work to apply and odds of admission are low for everyone at a school with a single digit admission rate.

Here’s what I think…

Likely:
American (with demonstrated interest)
UMass
Pitt
SMU
TCU

UT is probably a target. I think Government is an easier admit than LBJ (not sure which you are going for).

Richmond is high target or low reach and I would say everything else is a reach due to their very low acceptance rates.

Northeastern admits of ton of people through alternate pathways and, if you’re open to that, I think you have a good chance of getting in through one of those. The Boston campus is a reach for everyone.

From your list of reaches, a few of them give a significant advantage to applicants who apply ED, but most of them don’t. I’m not pushing ED…I would only consider it if you truly have a favorite and if you run the NPC for it and it is affordable…just noting that it could make a difference at some of the schools on your list.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply! I don’t plan on ED, but I do plan to REA Yale.

You have both UVA and URichmond on your list; have you considered and ruled out William & Mary? (Lower sticker price than Richmond, but maybe W&M doesn’t work financially because the full-need-met schools give you a lower net price than W&M OOS?) For IR, W&M’s joint program with St. Andrews could be worth a look also. https://www.wm.edu/as/undergraduate/more-pathways/standrews/

Good luck; you’re a strong applicant and I’m sure you will have good options!

1 Like

We toured William and Mary, and it felt too rural for me.

I second those 3 schools - I think BU, Tufts and GW are more natural matches for your interests than Northeastern or UMass. (I was an IR/politics major). Plus, UMass location isn’t all that different than William & Mary? Definitely not known for politics/government/IR type majors in New England IMO.

Northeastern is trendy and all, but the other 3 seem more traditionally strong for what you are looking for IME. Tufts, in particular, the graduate program is TOP TOP notch. Northeastern, for businessy and techy or health science majors, is stronger IMO (and I know a ton of people who have gone in 2000 to present).

That said, vibes and such matter…

Tufts has a really nice database I discovered the other day of first destinations..one of better i have seen for non engineering schools…you can do by major (they have one for internships too)

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/tuftscareer/viz/PoCOutcomesDashboard/Dashboard

3 Likes

Like others, I see Richmond and down as easy ins. If they have $250k saved in a 529, I’m not thinking you’ll get a lot of aid. Have they run an NPC?

If W&M is too rural, I don’t think you’ll love UMASS. Given the majors, I’m not sure Northeastern is the right fit.

I might recommend College of Charleston to you - a little bigger than W&M. Their Into Stidies program is fantastic with mentors, distinguished speakers and more. They have the Fellows program which is a sub group of Honors and you might qualify. My daughter was in and it was fantastic. Yes, the school overall is less competitive but this program is kids like you. My daughter interned for our state and a top flight think tank in DC and did the DC semester through U of South Carolina. Her endowed scholarships paid tuition. She left four years later very impressed ahd is in a post grad service program with lots of Ivy and other top caliber kids and honestly kids from many schools - top and not.

U Denver is another very good private for your interests.

Best of luck to you.

1 Like