Chance This Frightened Little Girl Por Favor

<p>I’m a sophomore. I know I’m a little early in looking for and seriously considering colleges, but I would like to see where I currently stand. </p>

<p>GPA: 3.915 UW/ 3.769 W GPA (all As except math)
Class Rank- Top 10%
SAT: 2000 (first time)
APs so far: -Human Geography (5)
-AP World History this year
-AP European History this year</p>

<p>ECs (Inside School):
-JV Cross Country
-History Club (applying for officer for next year)
-Geography and English tutor
-Next year, when I have more reliable transportation, I plan to join National Spanish Honor Society, DECA, Green Team, Junior Cabinet, and Photo Club or Art Club if I can convince them to change their meeting dates
ECs (Outside School):
-Tutor
-Webentrepreneur
-Plan to start another offline business soon
-Prob. like 100- 150 hours of volunteer service by beginning of junior year
-I support my charitable causes online by starting petitions
-I hope to pressure school into a better recycling program and tutoring system
-Will start a SAT tutoring group once I take it the second time
-Scheduled to become church youth leader next month</p>

<p>Junior Schedule (Already Registered)
-AP US History
-AP English Lang. and Comp.
-Spanish V
-AP Spanish
-Precalculus Gifted
-Pre AP Physics Gifted</p>

<p>Extra Info:
-East Asian
-Low income
-Resident of Georgia
-Interested in History, Social Sciences, or General English majors
-Aiming for AP Scholar this year, AP Scholar with Honor, AP Scholar with Distinction, and National Merit next year</p>

<p>Considering now…
-University of Massachusetts
-College of William and Mary</p>

<p>Counselor told me to consider Swarthmore, Amherst, and Dartmouth but I think she’s a bit crazy.</p>

<p>I didn’t know you added this stuff, but I looked through some other chances threads, so more info:</p>

<p>In the 9th grade, I was struggling to recover from an eating disorder. My mother walked out on my family when I was 9, which triggered binge eating. My family’s economic situation got worse in the second half of 8th grade year, which worsened it. In the 9th grade, however, I got help and now I am of healthy weight. I even run cross country.:)</p>

<p>Also, I’ve been almost homeless twice the last two years. Thankfully, this did not happen, but obviously this scared the sh** out of me.</p>

<p>Just wondering, how is your UW GPA higher than your WGPA? You seem like a really strong person, and you have my respect. Your stats are within range of the schools you want to go to, and if you write great essays about your experiences, then you’re really solid.</p>

<p>My bad, they’re switched. So my UW GPA is 3.769 (would that round up to 3.8?) and my W GPA would be 3.915.</p>

<p>Thank you. I’ll be chancing you back. :)</p>

<p>bump bump bump</p>

<p>NEW ADDITIONS! :slight_smile: (Some that I forgot, and some new)</p>

<p>-Designed signs for school clubs this and last year, and next year am in head of designing all our school clubs’ signs/posters (wheeeeeeee~!!!)
-Got a job as Korean tutor; revamping my art design business; starting a high school coaching program
-(If I get enough money, doing the Concord Review for a project on the history of childbirth that I have casually/independently worked on since freshman year)</p>

<p>-Attending local Youth Leaders’ Expo; will propose an idea to start a nonprofit promoting arts education there
-Volunteering at local theater and food bank during summer
-Idk if it counts for anything, but over freshman summer I studied for Spanish II on my own to be able to test out of the class. During Spanish III I was the youngest kid in class but I was still 2nd in my class (out of 32)
-I’m agnostic but I’ve attended different places of worships to learn more about different religions since I was 11; I am hoping to install a cultural exchange system of sorts at my International club or History Club
-Worked as a recruiter (sp?) for school culture nights since freshman year</p>

<p>-Art Club member
-DECA member
-Emailed William and Mary since 8th grade asking about information brochures, videos, etc. (Idk if they count expressed interest in admissions tho)</p>

<p>BUMP BUMP BUMP…please, my class rank is making me want to throw myself off a cliff…</p>

<p>GPA is more important than rank in my book- in grades with 400 kids there are bound to be really talented students. I’m not sure if admissions feels the same, but I wouldn’t drive yourself crazy.
I think, if anything, you’re spreading yourself too thin over all of these ECs. Pick three at most that you are passionate about (likely areas you want to study further- tutoring geography may be more useful than designing projects) and go all the way with them. Aside from that, you look pretty good! Here’s my “chancing”:
UMass: Most Likely
William and Mary: Probably
Swarthmore: Probably
Amherst: Reach
Dartmouth: High Reach (I would apply anyways- you counselor is right- if your essay is stellar, you never know!)</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1327977-chance-me-brown-will-gladly-return-favor.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1327977-chance-me-brown-will-gladly-return-favor.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I think Swat is a reach, along with Amherst. But your stats look good, and William & Mary is probable as long as you get your SAT up.</p>

<p>I will be retaking the SAT for sure- I didn’t prep the first time, so I’m studying hard for the second time. </p>

<p>Anything you would recommend to make my ECs pop a bit more? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Gracias. :)</p>

<p>I would say for you it’s too early at this point to say anything- junior year is when major changes in grades and ec’s come about. I wouldn’t post any tentative details just yet- list the ones you have achieved so far. Otherwise, it’s not a very accurate chance thread.</p>

<p>Based on what I have so farm, what do you think?
(PS: Joined Art Club)</p>