Chances/Advice For a Junior

<p>I'm applying ED to Duke next year, and these are my stats:
3.8 UW GPA
4.5 W GPA
Most Rigorous Courseload at a Rural Highschool in NC. (However, most of my rigorous classes were online through NC Virtual Public School.) Usually sends ~1 student to Duke per year, but depends on the class that's graduating.
1910 SAT- (This was the beginning of sophomore year, no studying, etc., so I won't know a better score until after June; so until then, go by that one. I'm also thinking a/b taking the ACT.)
First Generation College Student, also a URM, but I don't think I'll report my race.
I've been as active as I can in EC's, but my high school doesn't offer too many in the first place, and I've been restricted by an illness my mother has. (Quizbowl- Team Captain, French Club, Key Club, etc.)
4 AP's by end of Junior Year, 5-7 more Senior Year.
The teachers that I'll get to write my rec's ADOREEEE me, haha :) And I generally write well, so I'll probably have a good essay.</p>

<p>one question: why in gods name wouldnt you report your race?</p>

<p>^ I had the same question ...</p>

<p>Because I would always wonder if I would have gotten in without having been a URM.</p>

<p>You should probably concentrate on the "getting in" part, and let the colleges where you apply know ALL about you. Trying to get into top 20 colleges is a very "Darwinian" exercise, you don't hold ANYTHING back ... if you do, you lose ...</p>

<p>So, it would be a better idea for me to just report my race?</p>

<p>You should report your race. Could it make a difference? Possibly. However, you're assuming that the college admissions process is otherwise a meritocracy, which isn't necessarily the case. Because there are so many qualified applicants to top-tier schools these days, admission decisions can come down to arbitrary factors (a common example is the situation of a school looking for an oboe player to fill a spot in its orchestra). Do you deserve to have an advantage in the admissions process just because of your race? No, but the oboe player doesn't deserve an advantage just for playing an obscure musical instrument either. You shouldn't feel guilty about representing yourself fully in a process that's full of randomness and unfairness anyways.</p>

<p>I hadn't really thought of it like that. So, I guess I will report my race...lol.</p>

<p>ill just say this: report your race hahah being urm SIGNIFICANTLY increases your chances of being admitted to top universities. its not fair, but its the way it is so take advantage of it. (in response to the people who will undoubtedly call me a racist: im not. at all. i just think everyone should be considered equally, regardless of race. its not fair that someone who is a urm should be admitted over a more qualified white person, just as it wouldnt be fair for a white person to be hired over a more qualified urm, just on the basis of skin color. everyone should just be EQUAL regardless of skin - or is that not what were trying to work toward? giving urms favorable inequality is still just that - inequality. just my two cents.)</p>

<p>Wondering whether you would've been rejected if you hadn't reported race >> wondering if you would've been accepted if you had.</p>

<p>^^ agreed knat</p>

<p>So, assuming that I do report my race, and apply ED, do you think I have a chance?</p>

<p>I would wager yes, you have a decent shot =)</p>

<p>The fact that you didn't have the same amount of "EC opportunities" as other applicants won't affect you greatly so long as you took advantage of what was available to you. However, a higher SAT score will definitely boost your chances greatly. </p>

<p>The fact that you are URM will help you A LOT (sad how college admissions are these days, but hey, why not take advantage of it =P)</p>

<p>Update: I'm certain that I hit 2100+ on the SAT in June. Of course, it's not locked in yet, but based on consolidated answers on here, I did well.
However, I got two B's this year...:/
Oh, and my specific ethnicity is Native American; I've heard that's even more helpful?</p>

<p>2140-- New SAT score.</p>

<p>2140 SAT Native American who lives in North Carolina and is first in his/her class applying ED? I don't want to say you're guaranteed an acceptance, but with those five things going for you, your chances are VERY good. Congrats on the score. Good luck!</p>

<p>I say you definitely have an above-average chance of getting in. (:</p>

<p>My stats are quite similar to yours (URM, 2130 SAT, Valedictorian, etc.), and I got in, although I had slightly more EC's, but I'm sure that wouldn't be the determining factor in your case.</p>