Chances at Columbia?

<p>What are my chances at Columbia, applying ED?</p>

<p>Private Catholic Prep School in Wisconsin
Caucasian Male</p>

<p>GPA 3.787 unweighted</p>

<p>6 Honors/AP- Precalc Honors, Honors Physics, Humanities Honors, AP Calculus, AP Biology, AP Spanish</p>

<p>ACT
33 Composite
English 34
Reading 35
Math 32
Science 29</p>

<p>SAT IIs</p>

<pre><code>700 Literature
670 Math I
650 Math II
</code></pre>

<p>Extra Curriculars</p>

<p>Personal ESL Tutor (Volunteer work)</p>

<p>Varsity Golf (2 Time State Champions)</p>

<p>Freshman Golf to JV Hockey
Picked up hockey at very late age, wrote about it in my essay</p>

<p>Piano Solo and Ensemble Participant</p>

<p>Student Government
Fr. yr representative, sophomore year president, senior year representative</p>

<p>150 Service Hrs total</p>

<p>Self Operated Lawn Care Business</p>

<p>Fellowship of Christian Athletes 4 yr member</p>

<p>4 Yr Math Team Member</p>

<p>Ping Pong Club
President 3 yrs
No 1 Doubles Player
4 yr state contenders</p>

<p>Multicultural Club
1 yr member, senior year</p>

<p>Close Up Political Discussion Club
2 yr member (Jr and Sr)</p>

<p>Good compelling essay</p>

<p>Well thought out and well answered supplements</p>

<p>Are there any takers?</p>

<p>hey! your ACT scores and extracurricular activities look pretty good. I'd just say that your SAT II Maths are slightly weak, but I guess it depends on what you're planning to study in college :) Best of Luck!</p>

<p>well.....remember Columbia overall acceptance rate is 6.9% ...nobody has a good chance there to begin with...my D goes there, and she said just about everyone she talks to there was valedictorian or salutatorian, mind you , this isn't statistically accurate, just a straw poll...she was #12/650 herself, but from a highly competitive HS and had extracurriculars that Columbia likes, and applied EA .. but yeah, early applicants have a statistical ( not necessarily real life) edge.Has to do with self selection.Generally EA,I think they would accept SATs in the 720s, better if 750s..regular admits are more like 750-800, class rank top 2-6% for EA, regular admits are usually valedictorians, or salutatorians, maybe a #5. Who really knows though, they , like all colleges choose who has the characteristics they want to have for their entering class. Best of luck wherever you go !</p>

<p>I think you'll get in for a couple of reasons. Geographically you are at an advantage. There are not many people from Wisconsin applying to Columbia. Secondly, you're a well-rounded student-athlete and a musician. Your SAT is slightly below range but your ACT is well within range. Quick question, did you take BC Calc or AB Calc? ...Admissions prefer to see AP BC Calc. Lastly, I see you're a defending State Champion golfer. Have you contacted Rich Mueller, the Head Men's Golf Coach? If you haven't called him, you should. His number is 212-854-9022 and his email is
<a href="mailto:rkm2107@columbia.edu">rkm2107@columbia.edu</a> Be prepared to FedEx a packet of your scores, articles/press clippings, tournament wins, videos, etc. Even though Columbia does not offer scholarships, the coaches often sit in on Round Table to ensure their athlete gets accepted. You need to move on this so that Coach Mueller has time to recieve and review your materials before Thanksgiving. For other athletes reading this, here is a link with contact info of all varsity coaches at Columbia: Columbia</a> Coaches Directory - GoColumbiaLions.com—Official Web Site of Columbia University Athletics</p>

<p>Overall, based on the information provided above, I think you will get accepted. Columbia fills up approximately 40% of the accepted class through Early Desicion. The other 60% of the accepted class is comprised of the top 3% of Regular Admission applicants. You were smart to apply Early Decision.</p>