Chances at Harvard,Stanford,Berkely etc (from a freshma)

<p>I apologive in advance of this is too wordy.Hello, I'm not this forum and am a freshman student going to a public school that will be going to a private school next year. At my current school so far i have gotten 6 1/2 credits of A's and 1 credit of A-. 3 of the A's credits are in honors, the only available honors to me at the time.I took an SAT in 7th grade and got a 1320 but that was the previous SAT. I'm the only freshman involved in tons of activities such as Speech and Debate, Ecology Club, Volunteering Club, Volunteer, Model UN, Academic Decathlon(its a smart people club) Diversity club, Math league. Im going to play football next year. as a sophomore. I took an online AP test and got a 3 on it. Planning on taking about 14 Ap classes by the end of my senior year wil several honors along the way. I currently have the highest class rank now. I also play the piano, am going to learn the guitar. I am taking 3 summer school programs which include taking classes at a community college.</p>

<p>I'm going to take 1 year of spanish (this year) (spanish I) and 3 years of latin (honors II, AP III, APIV) because im switching schools. 4 years of english (honors I, Honors II, AP III, AP IV) 4 years of math(Honors Alg 2/Trig, Honors Geomtry, AP Calc AB, AP Calc BC), 5 credit years of Science (Honors Biology, AP Biology, Honors Chem, AP Chem, AP Physics) 3 years of fine arts (honors music theory, AP music theory, AP Art History), 4 credit years of Social studies (Western Civilization I and II, Ap Euro, AP American, AP Economics/AP Government) and 4 credit years of religious studies(none honors, some for dual credit with a local community college). Also I will be taking AP Pyschology,Idk wat else to say</p>

<p>Now for the bad stuff:I did get a full credit of A-'s, idk if that will hurt me very much, I do not play any instrument well, I dont have time to play on the football team so i have to play intramural, Its going to be hard for me to gain leadership positions in clubs because I am transferring. Except for Speech and Debate I do not do very well in my extracurriculars. Im a guy btw.</p>

<p>Any of your thoughts are appreciated or any suggestion as to what I should do with my scedule or with my extra curriculars. I know I want to go into business but there are currently know options for me to participate or take classes in business. However I will be taking a Business class over the summer of my sophmore year.</p>

<p>If you were wondering, I am hoping to Double Major in Business and another field and have a minor of Math as well. Im hoping to go to harvard, princeton, stanford, or dartmouth and apply for advanced standing an "oustanding honors" i believe it called.</p>

<p>If you have any negative things to say SAY THEM. You will not be shooting down my dreams, lifes a lesson and I want to learn.</p>

<p>Thanks again,
Chandler Bator</p>

<p>Sorry, but, freshman year is when everyone does well (or does poorly, and then get straight A's).</p>

<p>I doubt anyone will give their opinion of what college you can go to based on your freshman year. Sorry if I'm being harsh.</p>

<p>Does Harvard offer business...?</p>

<p>You're off to a good start, just keep it up and you'll be fine.</p>

<p>Yah i suppose most people do well their freshman year, and ur not being harsh. I was mostly asking if I am on the right track and if there is anything i should start or stop. I am at the top of my class and have gotten a fair grade on the old SAT. I've also been accepted into a John Hopkins summer program, (99.9 percentile on standardized tests + 1300+ on SAT in 6th grade)</p>

<p>Oh and I meant economics, srry</p>

<p>thx again</p>

<p>At this point, its even hard to say yes or no to your "am I on track" question. Rarely people give a thought about high colleges, will struggle in Freshman year. </p>

<p>But if you want some advice right now, there's some stuff I can tell you, while I' am hesitant to, since you can change dramatically over the next years either positively or negatively. No one can say that for sure.</p>

<p>You say you have dreams, but don't go through your high school blinded by the ivies. You're more likely to end up doing things "just to look good" whether you tell otherwise to your self and others; adcoms will see right throught that. Rather, investigate and explore your choices, instead of jumping into things for no apparent reason. Freshman year is the year to investigate, and choose your passions to let them shine in the next 3 years. Narrow down your EC's to 3 or 4, by your sophomore year, and try to get leadership positions in your junior year. And the key from there is, DO SOMETHING with those positions. Don't just hold the title. Anyone can get the title over some time. But DO something with it.</p>

<p>As of now, don't go crazy over collge. People are telling you to go and enjoy high school for a reason.</p>

<p>I agree with what you said. I do get my sights set on things and ignore many other options. But even as a Freshman, I've still researched Harvard vs. Stanford vs. ASU (I live in Arizona) and weighed the advantages of each. I do not want to go to Harvard or Princeton for a label, I want to go to the college that will best educate and prepare me to become the best man possible. I know it's hard to say whether or not this is a "phase" I am going through and that I might just give up my sophomore year. But I really want to be able to give back to the community and to the world when I grow older and I believe becoming an honest businessman (yes I am idealistic) will be the best way to do that. Again, I agree with you on many points, but I believe that I can perservere. I guess my question is, do you think (assuming that I do the same thing I did Freshman year for the next 3)(also assuming that I could possibly be able to enter one of these schools. </p>

<p>the only thing I ask is that you do not dismiss me</p>

<p>If you can actually keep that up (you'll have to work your ass off by the way) and take 14 AP's and do well in all of them and keep up your valedictorian status then yes you have a good chance at all of those schools.</p>

<p>But you shouldn't get so worked up about an A-! I had B minuses and C pluses sprinkled all over my freshman transcript and now I have a 3.8 GPA. Freshman year matters the least of all your years, and some schools actually throw out freshman year when calculating your cumulative GPA.</p>

<p>You sound like you've set your mind, but know that the whole "give abck to my community" idea and stuff, with "I want to get the best education I can" is said by about 99.9% of those who apply.</p>

<p>NO ONE, I will repeat, NO ONE can tell you anything accurate. EVEN IF you continue what you are doing right now, the best anyone can tell you is "you might have a shot." I advice looking around, then posting your stats come junior year, and then go from there.</p>

<p>But if that's what you want to hear..:</p>

<p>"Stay on track and you MIGHT have a shot."</p>

<p>Wait a sec, there is no difference between an A- and an A...</p>

<p>The important thing is do the things you love. It is sad that it often works this way...but those who do all they can to get into the best college don't get in.</p>

<p>I'm not saying dont get A's or dont study for the SAT's, but what I am saying is don't just join clubs & do community service to stuff your app...do things you care about!</p>

<p>here's some advice...ur gonna drive urself crazy worrying about college for four years...just enjoy high school and do the things that you think you will like...ur only a freshman...ur focusing everything on something that is 3-4 years away..just relax and do well...just remember that everything will fall into place and it will always work out...no need to worry</p>

<p>Freshman year is very easy. Don't use it as an indicator of how you will perform through the rest of high school.</p>

<p>don't listen to these people. I advise working your butt off starting now.... it will pay off later. I remember when I was a freshman I dreamed about going to an ivy league school, getting perfect SAT scores, and taking 12 AP classes. However, I didn't realize how much work it would take. I ended up getting good grades throughout 1st semester sophomore year, then I got screwed over with a C in AP European history. I ended up taking 2 AP tests after sophomore year, and got 4's on both (i took bio and stats). Now I'm in junior year, and I study my ass off every day, hoping I can make up for my aloofness in sophomore year. After sophomore year and taking the ap tests, I realized that my teachers in school didn't do jack squat to prepare me for them, and that i did most of the studying by myself. This year, ever since the start of school I have been reading ahead in most classes, and started drilling myself with practice ap tests in late december. I am in 6 ap classes right now, and i feel only 3 of my ap teachers actually prepared me enough so i can get a 5 on the test. </p>

<p>My advice to you is, take as many advanced classes as you can AS EARLY AS YOU CAN, and STUDY AHEAD whenever possible. You might be in better shape than i was, since your going to a private school next year. </p>

<p>As for your extracurriculars, dont worry too much. Just do something worth remembering and telling others about. For me, my forte lies in music. I have been playing piano since I was about 7 years old, and I picked up cello when I was 10 or 11. I now play principal cello in my school orchestra, and i'm in my church orchestra and a community orchestra. I think you'll do well on your act/sat, since you got a 1300 as a 7th grader. (to give you an idea of how i have progressed, i got 960 as a 7th grader, and this year i got 2250, which is like 1500 on the old test.) You have some time, but it will feel like time flies by VERY fast. </p>

<p>Oh, one more thing....if you happen to fail anywhere in your journey, dont get dissappointed. Forget about it and move on with life - its not like you can do anything about it now that its already happened. When I got a C in sophomore year, I thought I was going to die. I didn't think I would ever get into a competitive school. But after that I got straight A's in the most difficult classes, which I'm hoping will make up for my C. Also, when I got the C in history I was going through a depressing time in my life since my parents had gotten divorced. Turns out the C didn't kill me that much, since my class rank only went down from 1 to 5. Right now, I'm looking at some top-notch schools, and my counselor says I have a fairly good chance at some of them. </p>

<p>Just remember kid, work as hard as you can, and start early. Good luck with your ambitious journey!</p>

<p>Just a rule of thumb: planning out your life, up to a point, is good. Beyond that point, you're wasting your time. It's good that you have a goal as early as freshman year, but don't plan "14 APs & tons of extracurriculars" just yet. Let high school "happen" to you. Develop a life outside of the college track. A lot of the stuff I do I only mentioned in passing on my college apps, since they really didn't fit anywhere.</p>

<p>kcAZN123, if the AZN part of your name is for real, do realize that your track will put you right into our stereotype. Try "breaking the mold," even if it isn't exactly in a positive manner. For example, I've been playing with a contemporary worship group for the past three years. It's more fun (and less stressful) than classical piano, AND it is a more unique EC. Oh, and while hard work is great, don't burn yourself out even before you set foot into college.</p>

<p>OK, I need to establish my credibility, don't I?...HS Senior, SAT1600 (sophomore year), accepted to Stanford & Caltech, waitlisted at Harvard & Princeton. So, following my advice should get you <em>somewhere</em> at least...</p>

<p>Oh yeah, top-name schools aren't all they're made out to be. Life in college is not all work. At Prefrosh Weekend at Caltech, I was utterly destroyed in Super Smash Bros. Melee...</p>

<p>that's cuz u suck at life... lol i'm jk, 1600 sophomore year? HOW... i thought i was smart with my 1490 freshman year... <em>sigh</em></p>

<p>joe didnt you get 2100's on the new SAT? if you had 1490 freshman you should've got 2400!!!</p>

<p>Well apparently, I haven't done anything to make myself stand out in anyway. Tell me if these are things I should keep pursuing or stand out. (hold on while i brag for a second :-)) I taught myself algebra and geometry in 6th grade, I read everyday, take notes and compare them to sparknotes, I play two instruments, I view and critique movies and art, I taught myself both spanish and latin. Im going to go to Exeter my post graduate year (considered one of the best schools in the country along with Andover), I program on comps, I play football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse and I swim. I'm going to start my own politics club next year, I held two senior positions on clubs my freshman year (one was vice president), I won a debate tournament in february, I'm going to become a business intern my senior year, I'm going to take classes at a local community college which I tested into honors for, I got accepted to a John Hopkins youth program taught by college professors. I got in the top 5% on the state math test. I volunteer at the my Church, at an ecological preserve, recycling at my school, and I built houses for the homeless. I honestly don't know what else I could be doing. And yes, these are things I want to do (especailly starting a politics club). So I suppose I am asking you guys what more I should do.</p>

<p>Any help appreciated</p>

<p>@stambilark... ironic huh? 1490 800M 690V split... this year... haha 790M 680 V... grrr</p>

<p>If you're a freshman you need to forget about college right now. Try hard in high school, get involved and figure out what you like. Don't try to plan to impress colleges, they're not that stupid. Once you realize what you enjoy get involved in that hardcore. Start a club or volunteer or research on your own. You're too young to really know what you want yet so don't even start to think about college until at least spring of your sophmore year. Good luck though.</p>