Chances at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)

<p>What are my chances at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)?
ACT: 27
High School: Deerfield High School (one of the best, if not the best, high school in the Chicago area)
GPA: 3.24/4 , 4.4/5
Class Rank: 194/384 (L 49%)
Major: Agri-Econ and Finance (College of Agriculture)</p>

<p>Freshman and sophomore year I did quite well, however during junior year my father passed away on the second day of school. This caused me to miss a lot of school and first semester I received for the most part all C's, maybe a few B's. Second semester wasn't too great either. I wrote about this in my personal statement. Before all of this my GPA was about a 3.5/4 and 4.7 or 4.8/5. My rank was top 30%. This year, however, I am doing much better. Here is my list of courses and probable grades...
Honors Engineering: A
English: B/B+
AP Chemistry: B/B+
AP Econ: B
AP Calculus: B+/A-
I don’t play any sports but I am in many clubs including minority club (I am Indian btw), band, and earthworks; I have also done a lot of volunteer work at my mosque.
So if anyone can give me an idea as to what my chances are that would be great. I am really freaking out about this.</p>

<p>you'll get in.....</p>

<p>It'll be hard, but luckily for you the College of Agriculture is the easiest to get into at UIUC. For 2004, the middle 50% ranges were 24-28 ACT (1060-1260 SAT) and 71st to 90th percentile class rank. Only the rank at the end of junior year is considered, so your improved senior grades won't count. Also, as a WYHS graduate, I don't know if Deerfield is the best high school in the Chicago area ;-).</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies so far. A lot of people have been telling me that I should be okay and that I shouldn’t worry too much, but I’m worried because I applied in October and I don’t see why it would take so long. My status online has said Committee Review since November. Any more responses/opinions would be greatly appreciated</p>

<p>bump............</p>

<p>bump........</p>

<p>any1 else?</p>

<p>I think you have a good chance. It really depends on when you apply though. Since it is a big state school, the sooner your application is in, the better chance you have. By the way, I'm a senior in the Chicago area too...</p>

<p>i applied in mid-october and still have not heard. Most people hear in 2-4 weeks. This is why im soo worried.</p>

<p>I think you should be safe.</p>

<p>hmm... good chances but deerfield hs isn't a great school... i live in illinois and it's only good at a couple of sports, that's all. academics-wise, it's merely above average.</p>

<p>These things can take some time. Most of the people that I know that applied to U of I found out very recently. Best of luck. dogkakka...which school do you go to?</p>

<p>you'll most definitley get in. dont worry about it.</p>

<p>thanks for all of the replies so far....
anyone else have any opinions?</p>

<p>UIUC has an automatic acceptance system, it's like if you meet certain criteria, let's say you have a 1500 and 3.8 unweighted gpa, they 'll admit you automatically without looking at the rest of your application. i applied on dec 15, which was the deadline, and mine has shown manual review ever since. hope we'll all get in :)</p>

<p>lol yeah i hope so</p>

<p>I imagine it's hard to get in there?</p>

<p>could u rephrase your question plz? mensa160</p>

<p>I think you have a good shot. Any Deerfield really isn't one of the best schools...:p. You'll most likely get in (especially with your major)</p>

<p>That must be what happened to me. I was admitted in like two weeks cuz of SAT and GPA. You'll probably get in because you don't qualify for this quick treatment, but your extenuating circumstances and ACT are all big plus's. Good Luck, you deserve it. Family problems are not easy to deal with.</p>