AP Psych
AP U.S. History
WIll be taking PSU Prob & Stats next year (Portland State level course)</p>

<p>Hopeful major:
1)Computer Engineering/Science
2)Business Administration
3)Psychology</p>

<p>EC's:
ACCESS program (new program for kids who test in the 99th percentile in the nation)
Varsity football
Varsity lacrosse
Held a job since august of 09, had a job before that from june 08-august 09
i know i havent done a lot of community service but im planning on doing a global leadership program this summer.</p>

<p>Letters of rec: Not quite finished looking yet, but two of my high school teachers so far.</p>

<p>You can't get those stats up anymore for UT. UT only takes transcripts of your ending Junior year. You don't really have a chance with those stats, especially since you're OOS. Very high reach.</p>

<p>I think your numbers are a bit low. GPA and test scores will all need to be higher for an OOS student, esp. in Engineering or Business.</p>

<p>I hope you can run really fast with a football :)</p>

<p>Doesn't look good, especially not for business or engineering.</p>

<p>you probably wont get in, check out OSU</p>

<p>@pierre: when you say "OSU" do you mean a school in Oklahoma? Or a school in Ohio?</p>

<p>I have no knowledge of Oklahoma State, but Ohio State has even higher academic standards for its main campus than UT. OOS is even more difficult.</p>

<p>I think he might be talking about Oregon State considering the OP is from Oregon. Ohio State would be just as tough to get into as UT and coming all the way down from Oregon to go to Oklahoma State wouldn't make much sense.</p>

<p>Thanks, LonghornDan. I couldn't agree more. I just found the OSU reference confusing, but what you suggest makes sense.</p>

<p>Well my junior year isnt over yet, and after this semester im looking at around a 3.3 weighted and 3.4 unweighted. and im retaking the SAT in the fall. what score would i have to get to have a chance?</p>

<p>VailsMom,</p>

<p>Just wondering, not meaning to be at all argumentative, I have a daughter who wants to apply to your OSU next year. You say it is harder to get into than UT. Just looked. UT is ranked higher in USN&WR rankings. Why is OSU harder for OOS when they take more than UT, and are ranked lower. Your local knowledge and insight would be much appreciated. Thanks</p>

<p>yea, i was talking about Oregon State</p>

<p>I'd say you have to get your SAT score up to around the 1400+ area for M/CR. Not sure CS or Business would even take that with your GPA.</p>

<p>Unfortunately for you, you are an out of state student. I don't want to say that you have bad numbers at all, because you don't. However, there are tons of kids from Texas schools who are turned away with a much better numbers. We have a rule that kids in the top 10% of their public high school class take priority in admissions because they are automatically admitted to the public university of their choice in Texas. This has created a situation where UT Austin is buldging at the seems with top 10% auto-admits. Once these kids have been admitted, the adcoms only has room for a small number more. Priority would be given to in-state kids for that. The thing is, many of the kids who don't make the top 10% cut have better numbers than a lot of kids from weak high schools who did make the cut. So its not uncommon to see somebody with a 3.8 or 3.9 GPA and 1250 on the SAT turned away from UT because they only made it into the top 15-20% of their class. These students are generally offered conditional admission and sent to a UT satellite to "prove" themselves for a year before being allowed to transfer to Austin.</p>

<p>I don't want to say you can't get in. I'm just saying its a definate uphill battle. I'd say you'd be better off at this point transfering. If your heart is set on UT Austin, go to college for a year and a half taking tough pre-req courses and get straight A's.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>@socaldad42 and vailsmom,</p>

<p>I have always thought and heard that tOSU (thats how most people distinguish it from oregon state and okie lite because it is knows as "The Ohio State University") was more on par with what socaldad was saying. Sure its not just a certain graduate program or two where they might have a better ranking?</p>

<p>@socaldad</p>

<p>Although it does partially depend on what major your daughter plans to take, OSU is not as good as U of O. If she wants to go to a school in oregon, U of O is the better school. However it does have a very high acceptance rate for in state, so im not sure about OOS. Just something to look into. It offers many more majors and has an excellent honors college.</p>

<p>This is an interesting question, regarding local perception of The Ohio State University admissions. </p>

<p>I will not say that we did not glance at rankings of the public universities when my son was deciding where to apply. But after gaining a general sense of academically strong institutions (and checking that our overall perceptions were sound), we forgot rankings and instead made decisions based on what we could discover about the specific programs in which he was interested. And The OSU had an edge because it is our flagship university and would have the advantage of instate tuition and possibly a good scholarship offer. </p>

<p>The OSU works much like the Texas system in that there is no longer open admission to the Columbus campus. Students who do not qualify academically will be offered admission at outlying campuses with the option to transfer in to the main campus at a later date. But students here are not faced with a Top 10% rule (and, interestingly, diversity does not appear to be an issue.)</p>

<p>When you look at OSU's acceptance rate, it is higher, for sure (numbers I saw were 65% vs 45%). But SAT/ACT middle 50% numbers are very similar. From a "local perception" standpoint, it is considered difficult to get accepted to OSU. I would imagine their OOS acceptance standards are higher (this is all just a sense I have gotten from anecdotal evidence, so I cannot support or refute it. And I could not find any hard numbers on OSU's OOS admissions, not even the total number of students.) Having said that, I know from experience that UT's OOS acceptance rate is 1 in 4 and I imagine Ohio State's is better than that, but I don't know what their raw numbers are, either, for total OOS applicants. I think you can assume that there are more than 300 OOS Freshman on the Columbus campus (UT enrolled only 300 in 2008 Summer and Fall). </p>

<p>My son was accepted to the Honors College at TheOSU, so we made several trips to Columbus. It started as the #8 school on his list of nine applications. When we finished the process, it was his #2 or #3. The more I saw, the more impressed I was, and I think he was surprised by how much he liked it, particularly the Honors College, which is University-wide rather than program-by-program.</p>

<p>But the reason he is going to UT is because of the quality of the program he wants. Plain and simple. And that is how I think students should choose their school, IF they know what they want to study and if they have the academics/stats to get admitted to the school and program of their choice.</p>

<p>I don't know if that's any help at all. I think the point here is that numbers and statistics really only tell part of the story. Perception is fueled so many different ways: rankings (for better or worse: academics or "party-school" standing), information or lack thereof provided by the institution, guidance counselor preferences, school spirit inclination or lack thereof, what your friend thinks, or even if someone you know who attended there is someone you consider brilliant or an idiot, and then there's always what you read on CC. It's a complex cocktail.</p>

<p>tOSU's recreation facility looks NICE. Did your son get into one of UTs honor programs?</p>

<p>Yes, he was accepted to LAH. He did not apply to Plan II, despite its stellar reputation, because it didn't seem to be designed for the student who knows what he or she wants to study.</p>

<p>Well since he got in the honors college at UT and tOSU; no real loss.</p>

<p>@Vailsmom,</p>

<p>I could definately see how a selective honors program at tOSU would be impressive. It often has one of the biggest, if not the biggest, undergraduate populations in all of the schools in the US.</p>

<p>I think your son made the right choice though. But thats my personal bias because 1) I'm a Texas grad and 2) I can't stand tOSU's football team or their extremely trashy fan base. They are probably some of the rudest athletic supporters in America.</p>