Chances for an Asian girl who likes to stay up till 4 AM to watch Korean dramas

<p>HELLO, I’m an Asian girl in a rather competitive private school. Well, there’s not must else to say here except maybe that I’m middle-class, so let’s get on with the stats:</p>

<p>AP’s taken:
AP Chemistry
AP Physics
AP Calculus BC
AP US History
AP Computer Science AB
AP English
AP Macro and Micro Economics</p>

<p>All 5’s, except AP English: 4</p>

<p>This year:
AP Government
AP Latin Catullus/Ovid
AP Latin Vergil</p>

<p>Around four post AP’s, including Multivariable Calculus and Artificial Intelligence.</p>

<p>GPA: 4.00 unweighted
Rank: Top 20 of class, exact rank unknown</p>

<p>SAT: Math: 800, Reading: 780, Writing: 770</p>

<p>SAT II:
Chinese: 800
Chemistry: 800
Latin: 750
Math IIC: 780</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:</p>

<p>Cello (>5 years)
Fencing (4 years): Sabre fencer
National Honor Society (2 years)
Latin Honor Society (3 years)
Volunteer for a Smithsonian Museum every Saturday (2 years)</p>

<ul>
<li>Founder and President of Webmasters’ Club: Made websites for various local organizations</li>
<li>Editor of school’s technology journal</li>
<li>Participant of several mentorship programs, including: mentoring elementary school children and at-risk Vietnamese children</li>
<li>Member of Class Council (3 years)</li>
<li>Member of SGA (1 year)</li>
<li>Event Coordinator of Girls’ Technology Club</li>
<li>Chess Club :)</li>
<li>Member of FCA: Fellowship of Christian Athletes</li>
<li>Plays as part of an orchestra group for hospitals, retirement homes, etc. </li>
</ul>

<p>Awards</p>

<ul>
<li>National Latin Exam: 4 Years, Summa Cum Laude (highest)
<em>crickets</em> :o…</li>
</ul>

<p>Job Experience:</p>

<p>Tutoring: Biology
Online brokerage internship: Graphic design, webdesign</p>

<p>Other:</p>

<ul>
<li>Attended Keystone Youth Policy Summit a few years back. They accept 40 students from 10 schools nationwide. </li>
<li>Rotary Student Exchange Program: Went to India for a few weeks</li>
</ul>

<p>Okay now, here are the schools I’m applying to, listed in order of preference (though I guess it’s more of a matter of who accepts me, hahaha ehhhhh):</p>

<p>Harvard
Yale
Princeton
MIT</p>

<p>I don’t have safeties that I would like to apply to because I’m an ambitious slacker. </p>

<p>Give your opinion? What can I do to improve?</p>

<p>You have excellent stats, and solid chances, but no guarentees. I’m sure you know you’ll have to pick a few safeties in the end, but good luck. I like your chances to get into at least one of them.</p>

<p>Thanks! Yeah, my parents will probably force me to apply to UVA as a safety, since I am in-state and it has a good rep (plus uber cheap compared to HYP & MIT)</p>

<p>Why are you even asking, just to show off?</p>

<p>you are great, supergirl</p>

<p>kobe, apparently she is new to this site, people are curious how they will do compared to others for elite colleges. Even with perfect sat scores and gpa, one does not gain an automatic entrance to any school.</p>

<p>aria, you have great chances, do you play any sports besides fencing?</p>

<p>xD I had to check your thread. LOL I watch Korean dramas as well but in Vietnamese. xD Anyway, I believe you have a chance. I can’t give any advice because I did not get into one of those elite colleges. x&lt;/p>

<p>Oi… your application ate mine for breakfast…lol :stuck_out_tongue:
I think you have a great chance… don’t fret, enjoy senior year…
Good luck anyway (not like you’ll need it… lol :))</p>

<p>i watch chinese dramas :slight_smile:
but yeah, you do way better than me in school lol
our school doesn’t even offer that many ap classes</p>

<p>what are you interested in majoring in?</p>

<p>Goong > All</p>

<p>I just had to mention that</p>

<p>you sound like someone else I know and she is also an asian girl who watches Korean dramas well into the night… hmmmm…</p>

<p>I really don’t want to turn into Suze! However, I wouldn’t say you have great chances…maybe my school is just competitive and insane. Anyways, you have awesome academics…really no way to improve. However, it is kind of odd that you have a 4.00 and are only top 20. This is a certain sign of grade inflation and Adcom’s will not be very happy about it.</p>

<p>You do have a couple EC’s like fencing and Cello and I can see dedication in them…but you don’t really excel at anything outside of academics and I can’t see a clear passion or hook. This is just my honest opinion, but you might not really stand out in flood of applicants to these schools. The thing is, you have good everything, but nothing that shines. This just makes your chances at:</p>

<p>Harvard - very unlikely</p>

<p>Princeton - for some reason i feel like you have better chances at Princeton, but that might be just because I have a different image of a harvard vs. princeton student…?</p>

<p>Yale - Reach, but Waitlist is possible</p>

<p>MIT - best chance here…in/waitlist</p>

<p>I’m not saying you won’t get in, you are both rejectable and acceptable. Anyways good luck!</p>

<p>ohh yay another graphic designer! haha.</p>

<p>what dramas do you watch?</p>

<p>Pretty good chances, no guarantees. I’d suggest applying to some other Ivies, just to be safe.</p>

<p>Kobe, my application really isn’t that great compared to others who get into these schools, actually it’s rather inferior, so I am doing the opposite of showing off, lol. Thanks Dryusi, and Classof08: no, not really…unless you count non-Olympic, historical fencing like dagger/shinai, but that’s more for show</p>

<p>Inaina: Enjoying senior years goes without saying :slight_smile: Thanks for
your reply</p>

<p>PUNKiiE: Dood, they’re enticing</p>

<p>Pwafflesprinkles: Yeah I know, a lot of schools don’t offer that many
AP’s, which is why some people obviously don’t take that many. I
self-study AP Economics though. BTW, I have no idea what I’m majoring
in, probably something like finance.</p>

<p>naidu90: Is that so? Maybe I am that girl ^_~ Nah, I’m not, I’m 99.9%
sure</p>

<p>Cvjn: I read the manga…not sure if it’s similar (reading the summary
it does sound similar), but the manga really repelled me from the
series because the female protagonist isn’t very humourous, unlike My
Girl (though that died slightly at the end)</p>

<p>skyhawkk08: Hey, I just want to say thanks for being honest with me. I mean, I know people who get into Harvard are typically very good at something: i.e.: National It’s Ac tournament, international math olympiad (and even so, maybe not) I guess my hook is that I make use of opportunities as much as I can, but I guess that’s not really a hook. Hmmmmm…I suppose I love the classics (Latin, Greek, and fencing)? I don’t think that’s very apparent though, haha</p>

<p>adorkable: I actually watch a variety of Asian dramas. Among the most recent: My Girl, Kiken no Aneki, Hana Yori Dango I and II, Gokusen I and II (II < I), Hanazakari no Kimitachi e, and I watched a few episodes of Great Inheritance but it didn’t really draw me in.</p>

<p>pyang: Thanks–I think I might also apply to Stanford, but I think basically it’s either these schools or UVA, since UVA’s much cheaper ^^</p>

<p>Heyy! Another (Asian female) fencer! :slight_smile: (If SGA = GSA = Gay-Straight Alliance, we might have that in common too [!!]) I sincerely wish you good luck.</p>

<p>On the other hand, I have to say that you are

  1. As strong as you need to be academically
  2. Lacking distinguished awards/ECs (from what I’ve heard from my friends in Latin, your awards are commendable but not rare… is that accurate?)</p>

<p>So… no guarantees. Possible, but not necessarily likely. You probably have the best chance (and best fit) at MIT… the college math classes should be best-appreciated there. Are you a junior? If so, I advocate finding a good summer research opportunity/winning Intel ASAP.</p>