Chances for MD?

<p>Hello All.</p>

<p>-Stats-</p>

<p>Academics</p>

<p>Biochemistry Major</p>

<p>3.92 cGPA, 3.96 sGPA</p>

<p>28 MCAT (11BS,10PS,7VR)</p>

<p>Clinical Experience:</p>

<p>75+ Hours volunteering at ER/ICU/Psychiatric Hospital ( Spread over 3 years)</p>

<p>200+ Hours Shadowing ER/Radiologist/Orthopedic/Psychiatrist</p>

<p>6 Months as an ER Scribe (Document and work with physicians on a day to day basis creating Histories and Exam Findings, as well as interpreting objective Radiology results)</p>

<p>Leadership:</p>

<p>Co-Founded a Medical Service Trip to Costa Rica/Nicaragua </p>

<p>ECs (Non-Clinical)</p>

<p>General Service Club Member (60+ hours)</p>

<p>Habitat for Humanity Contributor (30+ hours)</p>

<p>Relay for Life Organizer (10 hours)</p>

<p>Medical Service Trip Coordinator (20+ hours)</p>

<p>Motorcyclist->Currently have my Motorcycle License</p>

<p>NYS Pistol Permit (Firearms have always been a fascination, NY State champion in high school .22 longrifle, assist in teaching firearm safety courses with NRA professors)</p>

<p>Letters of Recommendation:</p>

<p>2 Science Professor</p>

<p>1 Nurse Manager</p>

<p>2 M.D.s</p>

<p>School Advisory Letter</p>

<p>Work Experience:</p>

<p>ER Scribe (as mentioned before)</p>

<p>Physics/Math Tutor (6 mo.)</p>

<p>Research Assistant (1.5 years)</p>

<p>Amusement Park Safety Supervisor (5 years)</p>

<p>Demographics:</p>

<p>White</p>

<p>NY Resident</p>

<p>21 Years old</p>

<p>I plan on applying very broadly as well as to all NY State schools. Also I will be retaking the MCAT in a couple months so if you would like to comment on my status currently with the 28 opposed to a hopeful 31 that would be great. I plan on applying as early as I can in the 2012 application cycle. Thanks</p>

<p>I think you have a shot, even with your low MCAT, but I would definitely suggest that you apply to DO schools within and without of NY as well.</p>

<p>Assuming no improvement (which is certainly possible) the 7 VR is a deal killer.</p>

<p>VR score is VERY important and really needs improvement to be a legit candidate for an allopathic school.</p>

<p>Agree with above advice about applying DO route broadly as well.</p>

<p>Is MCAT that important that even a 28MCAT, 3.9+ GPA and plenty of service hours won't cut it?</p>

<p>Yes, but then again a 3.2 and a 36 is also an uphill battle.</p>

<p>The two most important factors in your application are GPA and MCAT. There are plenty of applicants who have good GPA's and good MCAT scores so there's little reason to take an applicant who is deficient in one. Furthermore, GPA's are not standardized while the MCAT is. It's not uncommon to see 3.9/28-type scores from applicants who went to easier colleges. </p>

<p>As for the OP, the 7 on VR is more problematic than the 28 total score as med schools want to see a balanced set of subscores. I would definitely favor a combo of low-end/state MD schools as well as DO schools.</p>

<p>For the MCAT, do you have to take all the pre-reqs before it to prepare for it? Or can some be pushed back</p>

<p>You need to finish the pre-reqs first since all those topics will be covered on MCAT.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Is MCAT that important that even a 28MCAT, 3.9+ GPA and plenty of service hours won't cut it?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>A 28 in and of itself is problematic (even with a 3.9) but the score distribution (7VR) is even a bigger issue.</p>