Chances of Acceptance to NYU, Northeastern U, or UC Santa Barbara

<p>Hello!
I was wondering if anyone could chance my acceptance into these three schools.
I am currently a rising senior at one of the top 10 public schools in Massachusetts (don’t know if that matters), and I will be applying to NYU ED and NU and UCSB RD. Right now these are my top choices but I was also hoping for any of you to provide suggestions of other schools I am a potential “fit” for because as of now, I only have 6 school that I am looking to apply to. </p>

<p>Weighted GPA (not including senior year): 4.2</p>

<p>Unweighted GPA (not including senior year): 3.5

  • Hopefully my grades don’t destroy my chances!</p>

<p>Courses:
Freshman year:
4 honors, 3 regular</p>

<p>Sophomore year:
4 honors, 3 regular</p>

<p>Junior Year:
2 AP, 4 honors, 1 regular
(AP Spanish Lang. & AP U.S. History)
<strong>4’s on both</strong></p>

<p>Senior Year:
2 AP, 4 honors, 1 regular
(AP Comp Gov & AP English 12)</p>

<p>SAT: 1950 (will retake in October)
U.S. history subject test: 670
English subject test: 650</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:
In School:

  • Environmental Club 3 years (President)
  • DECA (President)
  • Business Community Partners Club (Co-founder, VP)
  • Rotary Club
  • Interact Club
  • Class officer</p>

<p>Out of School:
MEEP- Energy advisory council- local group of leaders who work to improve the town’s energy efficiency. Majority of work was for a town-wide energy audit to evaluate our chances of becoming a MassCEC "Green Community. I was in charge of reviewing the account information from National Grid and totaling the amount of money spent on energy for all of the public facilities in my community.</p>

<p>Town Sustainability Council- Local group of individuals who work to implement sustainable initiatives in the community. For example, we recently created a curb-side composting system for the town.</p>

<p>Massachusetts GreenSchools- GreenSchools is a national organization that works with school districts to implement green initiatives into their buildings. I am currently president of 112 student ambassadors from all of Massachusetts who represent their schools. This requires me to organize meetings, speak at events, speak at the Massachusetts State House, collaborate with high school student ambassadors, and work with younger student ambassadors.</p>

<p>Accomplishments:

  • Recipient of the Presidential Environmental Youth Award & the Green Difference Award (recognition from the federal government and the Massachusetts state government)</p>

<ul>
<li><p>Developed a solar panel array on school roof- Worked with an organization who financed the project and established a 20 year contract (called a power purchase agreement) in which the organization will sell my school the power produced from the array for a fixed cost. </p></li>
<li><p>Banned plastic bag use in my community</p></li>
</ul>

<p>Other things to consider:

  • Interned at a prestigious law firm in Boston
  • I write grants for my school
  • I also write award applications (one of which was a federal award called the Green Ribbon Award from the US Department of Education, and with the help of other student, we ended up winning it)
  • Head tour guide for my school
  • Varsity swimming and soccer
  • 182 hours of community service
  • I also do a lot of independent travelling- refurnished a school in Ecuador, worked at an orphanage in Thailand, stayed on a Kibbutz in Israel (maybe considered more for NYU?)</p>

<p>Let me know what you all think of my chances! Thanks in advance for your input!</p>

<p>I’m not sure about Northeastern, but I can give you my two cents on UC Santa Barbara and NYU. Your GPA and SAT scores definitely place you as a potential admit to both schools and your extracurriculars definitely help. I would say keep doing what you’re doing. From the experience of my friends (one of which was rejected to UCSB and accepted to NYU), I would say you have a pretty good chance at either of these schools.</p>

<p>But also, make sure your essay truly demonstrates the unique person you are. I would maybe talk about the law firm and the solar panel thing because that makes you stand out. Best of luck! And remember, you will go to the school that’s right for you!</p>

<p>Thank you for your input! It’s definitely a relief know that my test scores and GPA make me a potential admit, I was starting to think that they were too low!</p>

<p>NYU ED: High match
NEU: High match
UCSB: Match (can you pay full-freight there?)</p>

<p>I am only familiar with UCSB. Assuming you are applying to the College of Letters and Sciences I’d say you have a good shot. They will put you into your second choice major if your first is filled. They do take a holistic approach and your essays matter.</p>

<p>If you are applying to Engineering it is a very different story. About 10,000 applicants for an incoming class of around 375. It is extremely competitive.</p>