Chances of getting into: Columbia, U Penn, Georgetown, Northwestern, Claremont McKenna, and Pomona?

I’d love any feedback regarding the strengths and weaknesses of my application, and what I should work on to improve my chances at these reach schools. Thanks!

Gender: Male
Race: White
Location: Nevada, USA
Graduation Date: June 2017

Unweighted GPA: 3.97
Weighted GPA: 4.34
Class Rank: 8/418

ACT:
First Time: Science 36; Math 32; English 27; Reading 35; Composite 33
Second Time: Science 31; Math 32; English 33; Reading 34; Composite 33
Highest: Science 36; Math 32; English 33; Reading 35; Superscore 34

New SAT:
Reading/Language 740; Math 790; Composite 1530; Essay 20

SAT Subject Tests:
Math II 720; U.S. History 740; Chemistry 770

AP Courses and Exam Scores:
Completed - Language and Composition-5; U.S. History-4; Chemistry-4; Environmental Science-4; Psychology-4; (Didn’t take the classes for Environmental and Psych, just studied on my own and took the exams. I’m interested in how that might illustrate a deeper commitment to independent learning)
Currently Enrolled In - Calculus BC; Statistics; Physics 1; Literature; U.S. Government

Clubs and Organizations:
Block-D Lettermen’s Community Service Club (Jr. - Sr.) (Vice President: Sr.):
Block-D encourages student athletes to give back to the school and community that supports them.
As Vice President I lead a group of 10 students (about 80 total in the club split with different group leaders) on community service projects and fundraising activities including: Setting up day camps for special needs students, reading to elementary kids, Raising over $5000 each Thanksgiving for the food closet through partnerships with local businesses, running food drives to support the families of students in need, setting up school events and fundraising for campus/community improvements, etc. Also, as VP I work to encourage integrity among all student athletes, and really bring the student body together by supporting underappreciated sports and activities (tennis, speech and debate, etc.)

Concert Band: (Fr. - Soph.) (Section Leader: Fr. - Soph.)
Low winds section leader and two time section leader in Northern Nevada Honor Band. Didn’t participate after Sophomore year due to a new and utterly incompetent teacher and some scheduling issues, but I did continue with music independently.

Academic Team (Jr. - Sr.):
Pretty self-explanatory, we travel to various schools competing in academic trivia competitions. I was recently selected from a very competitive field to compete in the Nevada State Science Bowl this February.

Speech and Debate (Sr.):
Despite only recently joining the speech and debate team, it’s had a huge impact on me. I know that clubs joined in Senior year don’t count for much, but in the two tournaments I’ve competed in thus far I’ve placed first and third in Lincoln-Douglas Debate in a field of 46. I’ve also assumed an unofficial leadership position seeing as the team is largely composed of newbies (despite being a rookie myself)

Chemistry Club (Jr. - Sr.) (Treasurer: Jr.)
Mostly composed of past and current AP chem students; we meet at lunch on occasion to do cool labs and catch up on things going on in the scientific community. My job as treasurer is to collect money for lab supplies and decide what to buy.

I know that some of these don’t hold a ton of weight at face value, but I’m wondering what might be worth expanding on in essays/interviews.

Athletics:
Cross Country (Fr. - Sr.)
1x varsity letter. Most Supportive Teammate Award (Soph.). No official captain titles were given to anyone.
Ski Team (Fr. - Jr.)
3x varsity letter. Competed in state championships Freshman and Sophomore year.
Track & Field (Fr. - Sr.)
Switched from distance running to pole vault my junior season due to a knee injury. I realize that overcoming an injury essays are really played out but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Honors and Awards:

  • AP Scholar With Distinction Award
  • 2x NZMEA Honor Band qualifier and section leader
  • 4x Varsity Letterman
  • 4x Academic All State Award Recipient
  • National Speech and Debate Association Degrees of Merit, Honor, and Excellence
  • Nevada State Science Bowl qualifier
  • National Academy of Future Physicians and Medical Scientists Award of Excellence
  • Most Supportive Teammate Award (Cross Country)

Proposed Major: Biochemistry/Neuroscience

I also plan on applying to U Mich Ann Arbor, University of Washington, University of Puget Sound, and UC Berkeley, but I’m pretty confident in my chances at those schools.

I would not be too confident about Cal Berkeley, though you are in fairly good shape. Your math 2 score is not great. The rest of your application is awesome, but that score is a dragger. You need to get that up to at least a 770, which would put you at or around the 70th percentile. As it stands, you’re in the 52nd. Your other subject scores are better, but both put you in the 80th percentile (although keep in mind that this is specifically of people who take those tests).

My student had all your schools with the exception of Northwestern. For Penn, Columbia, Georgetown and Pomona (all), you gotta show some passion/enthusiasm - thinking about the supplemental essays. I don’t see anything here that would address those. I advise giving that a lot of thought, in particular, what makes these schools a good fit. Agree with PhysicsWizard above, that UCB is a reach for anyone. Keep in mind that top scores and GPA open the door, but they can’t get you through it!