National Honor Society 11, 12; Vice Pres
Orchestra Council 11, 12; Secretrary + Pres
Soccer 9,10
Track 9,10,11,12
Intramural Basketball 9,10,11,12</p>

<p>Acapella Group 11, 12
Youth Group 9,10,11,12; Worship Leader
Church 9,10,11,12; Sunday School Teacher/Worship Leader/Pianist
City's Youth Symphony Orchestra; 9,10,11,12 Section Leader/Student Advisory Board
Ethnic Anti-Tobacco Group 10, 11, 12; Paid Intern, Publicity/Activities Coordinator, Youth Advisory Board Rep</p>

<p>Jobs
Piano Teacher 10,11,12; Students have won various local competitions
+Junior Year Summer Internship at Lab</p>

<p>Service
Tutoring 11, 12 (about 2-4 weekly)
Church + Youth Group 9,10,11,12 about 4 hrs. weekly, much more during summer
Director of nonprofit Local Childrens Musical Program 11,12 (about 40-50 hrs a summer)
Started program providing music lessons to underprivileged children 11,12
Creating program as NHS project providing free afterschool activites for disadvantaged kids in high risk neighborhoods</p>

<p>Other
Brother is attending Y currently - will this factor into admissions at all?</p>

<p>Schools:
HYPS
Columbia
Penn
Darmouth
Wash U
Duke
Northwestern
UVA
OSU</p>

<p>Thoughts? I'm considering applying to Yale early, but I'm not sure I'm "standout" (among recruited athletes + legacy) enough that EA will help me. I'm currently deciding between HYS for early...</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Let's hear it for laundry lists!!! Seriously...your list of extracurricular activites, albeit long, brings little to your admit chances. Nothing stands out; you have totally cliched activities. The only things that caught my attention were the internship at that anti-tobacco thing and the direction of the musical program. Neither of those activities screams, "Admit me! As a student I will enrich the lives of other students, and as a graduate I will bring prestige and fame to Yale University." Small chance.</p>

<p>Thanks for the honest and straightforward reply, market state.</p>

<p>Question: Seeing as I am stuck with what I have (with the exception of a new project underway), is there any way to play up my chances? It might seem like a laundry list, but essentially all my activites revolve around music, faith, and community service (many times all three combined). </p>

<p>I am truly passionate and quite involved/take leadership in every activity I commit to (not just saying that for the purposes of this board/admissions). I have just seen my interests carry me into a variety of different activites, resulting in this "laundry list."
Is there some way I can elaborate on my personal responsibilites in my ECs in the common app to demonstrate such commitment, beside the essay (ex. attaching a resume)?</p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>

<p>market state, I find it hard to believe that HYP only want students who can 'bring fame and prestige' to the university as a graduate. I know a Princeton graduate who ended up teaching at a vocational school, as well as one who became an undertaker. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't see much fame and prestige being brought to Princeton there. You could say that they are making the world a better place, though.</p>

<p>You're boring, to put it bluntly. And you're Asian, which doesn't help at all. Coming from the midwest may help you though.</p>

<p>I think you have a good chance, despite what market state (a HS junior) and cookiemunster (a HS senior) say. I'm a current student and I know that just because you're Asian, doesn't mean you have to win some sort of major national contest. Good stats + good essay + good interview is enough.</p>

<p>Not true at all, Hecatonchires. Yale college reps agree, according to mine, they say based numbers alone, about 40% of all applicants will be suitable to handle the Yale atmosphere. After that 40%, they take 1/4 of that in a rather arbitrary manner (some of course because they need a certain type of a student, but the rest are a little more arbitrary than not). You need also good luck. </p>

<p>Sorry, your EC's are a little bland, and less passionate for my tastes. Possibly, the piano teacher can be something, but otherwise, bleh on the EC's. Numbers are great, though. You have a reach chance at getting it (as opposed to high reach or low reach).</p>

<p>First of all, it is not certain that there will be early admissions of any kind at Yale this year. I doubt Yale (or Stanford) will hold out after Harvard and Princeton have abandoned it.</p>

<p>My main suggestion is to stop trying to think of yourself as a total index of accomplishments. Make sure you organize your essay and your application so that you show what sort of person you are. With what specific hopes, fears, dreams, strengths, challenges. </p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>There will definitely by EA this year for Yale, since there will be for Harvard and ED for Princeton. H and P will not be dropping their early options until it is time for the HS class of 2008 to start applying.</p>

<p>The essay is your chance to emphasize your passion here, becuase the rest of your application belies it. The essay will be critical for you.</p>

<p>I'm sorry...I was a little hard on you with the whole "laundry list" thing, but my point still stands.</p>

<p>BTW--Hecatonchires: how do you know I'm a Junior???</p>

<p>I clicked find more posts, saw you were applying to TASP, and thus figured out that you were a junior.</p>

<p>^
I would go easy on "passion". It is becoming such a cliche word. Every applicant is supposed to have "passion".</p>

<p>How about talking about what you are drawn to, repelled by, believe in, find yourself unable to accept etc. </p>

<p>Be interesting not just passionate. TV soap operas are all about "passion" . . .I mean applying to an elite univ. requires passion automatically. Hopefully it does not have to be filled with "drama"!~</p>

<p>wow solid work cold beverage =p. you have some similar numerical stats as me. id say taht you have a lot of volunteer hours, which is a draw, as wella s your numerous activites. demonstrated leadership very well. better than i do at least. they always say "depth not breadth" but if you can get depth with breadth i would say thats even better, right? overall a very solid resume. like many people, there is no guarantee you could get into any of the hyps or such... but youre in that ole group i like to call the "competitive applicant pool". thus, i conclude theres a good chance. essays are probably going to be big, so do them well.</p>

<p>well great stats first off. Though your Ecs don't scream out, they do display a committment to activities outside of the school realm, doesn't it? And thats what they look for. So pick a few or 2 and show that corny "passion"!</p>

<p>Btw, I live in Sydney. I did Latin for 4 years, and got 2 National Mythology Exam Gold medals, and 2 National Latin Exam Gold medals (one with a perfect score)- these are American exams. Do they actually count for anything or are they really really common?</p>

<p>Thanks for the input everyone. It's interesting to see the variety of takes on my chances, but I suppose none of us really know (and in the end, it's not going to really affect where/how I apply, anyway). ivyalumni - good point w/ the "index of accomplishments" thing. It's very easy to fall into that mindset after visiting this forum.</p>

<p>rk_15 - I'm not completely sure. I know a few other kids who have gotten medals too, and it seems that they aren't really that "tough" to get. It just gives you something (however small) to show for what you've accomplished in Latin. I'd put it down anyway.</p>

<p>Everyone's being so hard on "passion." Yes, I know it is corny, but it is the word that is standard for expressing the quality of being exceptional. When the Yale Dean of Admissions looks at the mountainous stack of applications all yearning for admission, he doesn't say: "OK, I'll take the top few thousand, looking for SAT scores, GPA, number of clubs of which they were a president." No, he tells his staff to "sculpt" a class comprised of a few thousand brilliant young men and women who have already accomplished something great in the field they love. That greatness is what we call passion, and it is the primary factor of college admissions in HYPS.</p>

<p>^The paradox you failed to address in you claim is that one can be successful at an activity without being passionate about it.</p>

<p>Look I have nothing against passion. As I said, even the effort of applying to one of these elite colleges requires dedication and, yes, passion. And among those applicants are thousands of outstanding people driven by, yes, passion to one or more things.</p>

<p>But try to think of what it is like to read thousands of applications of people who inform you about their "passion". Very few concepts are really "standard" and being "standard" is not what you want to be anyway! Good luck everyone: be passionate but be cool. Using cliche terms like passion can make someone sound a bit earnest and desperate. A cool candidate needs the college less than the college needs her or him.</p>

<p>My favorite line when I write a letter of recommendation is "you would be lucky to have this candidate."</p>