Chances with a felony?

<p>Hey guys. i'm a rising senior and this summer i got a felony- theft by shoplifting. yes, it was a stupid mistake but now im super paranoid about getting into college. one school im most concerned about is umich. im planning to do umich early action, and this year the admissions board has decided to go with the common app for EA admissions. so my question is...so my question is, what are my chances of getting in? i would write down that ive learned my lesson and i would never do it again. i feel stupid for my wrong action and it is something i regret very badly. my sat score is 2100 and i have a 3.6-3.7 gpa. i have a good amount of ec's. </p>

<p>what are my chances?</p>

<p>if you hadn't committed the crime, you'd have an okay chance, but since you have, I'd suggest you write an essay about how that changed you and what you learned from it.
I'm sure they'll consider your EC's and such.
You should contact an admissions rep/admissions counselor at UMich to ask about it, just to see how much it'll affect your chance of admission and what you can do to make the best out of a bad thing. I'd say you have a 55-65% chance all of that hadn't happened. With a good, genuine essay, you can still hold onto that 55-65% chance. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/972695-what-do-you-think.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/972695-what-do-you-think.html&lt;/a> chance me back please?</p>

<p>Cast a very, very wide net and apply to more schools than you probably planned to. This is going to be a big problem.</p>

<p>I don't know if you are a troll, I'll bite. Not looking good unless you've got something really spectacular. Think of the tens of thousands of qualified applicants they get. Your GPA is very good, but it's not a knock out. They will have thousands of 3.9-4.2.
Talk to a reputable Admissions Counselor who has experience in this area (don't ask me how you find THAT, but I'm sure there are some). You may be better served to wait for regular decision and enroll in a rehabilitation program...I honestly don't know what would be appropriate in the case. The thing I'm looking for is SOMETHING to really show that your regret for your actions and your desire to reform is more than just lip service. If you delay the app, you will have time to participate in something that may give more weight to your apology.
Perhaps then your are no longer a punk that thought he was better than the system and the rules didn't apply. You are a young person who made a mistake that you deeply regret and you are taking steps, tangible steps, to make sure you don't fall into that type of behavior again.</p>

<p>Are you 100% sure it went on your permanent record? If you're under 18 there's a good chance they let you off with a warning. Were you hauled to jail and the whole nine yards? If your parents picked you up from the store it could have just ended there. It's not always a "felony"</p>

<p><a href="https://umich.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/umich.cfg/php/enduser/chat.php?p_sid=3kBtPy6k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yODUsMjg1JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://umich.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/umich.cfg/php/enduser/chat.php?p_sid=3kBtPy6k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yODUsMjg1JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ&lt;/a>!! </p>

<p>that's the link to the UMich online chat with an support agent.</p>

<p>Hope that helped!</p>

<p>yes, it was a felony. alright guys thanks for the help.. i'll call the admissions board to ask them how my application would look. i really hope that they would see past my wrongdoing though. it's not like it's felony by murder or rape right?</p>

<p>Most people wouldn't want to live with (that's what we're talking about, remember) someone who has been convicted of shoplifting. And many institutions wouldn't want to be responsible for bringing that person to live with its residents.</p>

<p>Excellent point zoosermom!
b2real - it was not murder, or rape, however you did break the law, were charged and convicted of a felony. That is a big deal. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can actually be convincing when you say you are remorseful.</p>

<p>Just curious. How did you land a felony?</p>

<p>Petty theft felony normally requires a previous record. A one time offense requires something major because this jumped all class C,B,A misdemeanors. </p>

<p>Stealing a DVD wont land a felony. The severity of the issue will definitely affect chances too</p>

<p>i really hate retelling this story. it brings back bad memories. me and my three friends took about $400 worth of stuff. i was stupid i know...we were convicted, but after court they put us in a program to get the felony expunged since it was our first offense.</p>

<p>so is it expunged? </p>

<p>If im not mistaken, you dont have to reveal or declare anything that has been expunged</p>

<p>IF it is expunged, do not reveal it. I hope you have learned a lesson.</p>

<p>it is not expunged yet. it will most likely be expunged by the time i do regular decision applications, but it is not expunged yet.</p>

<p>then wait. The whole point of expungement is that its a second chance. You do not have to ever mention it. </p>

<p>If you do it again, then you do still become a repeat offender. But for employment purposes etc, it didnt happen</p>

<p>If it is expunged by the time you apply then good. For the EA, call them and explain it in full. that the judge is allowing for expungement and you have to do x,y,z to make up for it. And that you are uber sorry</p>

<p>who do i call to tel them about my expungement? should i just write it in the common app document that it asks for pertaining to what happened?</p>

<p>call their admissions dept and ask? </p>

<p>Wait for more replies. There probably will be better ideas</p>

<p>I wouldn't apply until it has been expunged. Once the cat is out of the bag, it is hard to forget. Acts of dishonesty are NOT looked upon lightly.</p>

<p>See the Common App question #2 and note the clear provision allowing you to withhold this information if your record is expunged. </p>

<p>Disciplinary History</p>

<p> Have you ever been found responsible for a disciplinary violation at any educational institution you have attended from 9th grade (or the international equivalent)
forward, whether related to academic misconduct or behavioral misconduct, that resulted in your probation, suspension, removal, dismissal, or expulsion from
the institution?  Yes  No</p>

<p> Have you ever been adjudicated guilty or convicted of a misdemeanor, felony, or other crime?  Yes  No
[Note that you are not required to answer </p>

<p>I agree with many of the other posters: if I were you, I would wait for regular decision. As others have said, colleges will certainly think twice before bring someone who shoplifted into their campus.</p>

<p>If it has not yet been expunged by the time regular decision comes around, you might want to take a break year. That said, I am no expert on the subject.</p>

<p>The gravity of this is enough that any gain you feel you would get during EA would be countered by having to reveal this. You have the chance to apply RD and not have this on your permanent college record then DO. It will truly be in the past and you don't have to worry.
If you apply ED, even if you are accepted, that felony conviction is part of your record at UMichigan. I wouldn't take the chance that it is removed from your records when the court does.</p>