check out this site

<p>Excellent offender information. I found a convicted rapist of a 7 year old living right on my block. Nice.</p>

<p>National</a> Sex Offender Registry</p>

<p>I just did. All I can do is {{{{{{{{shudder}}}}}}}}}
I guess I won't be walking the dog at night anymore.</p>

<p>Zoosermom, thank you for posting this link. Our state police operate an online database, but last time I checked, it did not include the crime (or even a picture, as I recall). When my kids were younger, I kept tabs on area offenders. We actually had one living a few houses away. I had to go to the county clerk to search records in order to find out about his crime. It was a rape charge involving a 13 year old, and a weapon was used in the commission of the crime. We did not harrass the man, but neighbors did keep very close tabs on the kids in the area. We were relieved when he moved out of his sister's house.</p>

<p>I had edited my caution, but now that I have gone through the site a little more thoroughly, I do want to bring it up. One problem with this registry is that 17 year old boys who have sex with their 15 year old girlfriends can & do end up on this registry. Because there is no way to know WHEN the crime was committed, there is no way to know if the CSC with a 13-15 year old happened when the perp was 17 or 27. There is a big difference! I don't think 17 year olds who experiment with a girl 2 years younger are necessarily sexual predators. I would just hate to see a guy who is on this registry for that reason getting harrassed by his neighbors, losing his job, etc. Other than that, they don't get my sympathy.</p>

<p>The registered offenders that I saw on that site, located nearby, were all charged within the past 15 years, and were all in their 40's+. I would take the age into consideration- if I saw a 25 year old who was charged in 2000. But the mugshots/ages I saw... {{{{shudder}}}}</p>

<p>Kelsmom, I completely agree, but as the mother of two girls with a rapist right here, I needed to know.</p>

<p>I'd checked this a couple of years ago....I'm glad to see our neighborhood is still "clean".</p>

<p>Oh, I absolutely agree, zoosermom. It's so scary when they are right around the corner. No matter how carefully you watch, how careful they are ... you never know. Of course, one always has to be careful. But the fact that a neighbor has actually been convicted of sexual crimes against children is especially chilling.</p>

<p>For every one you see on the site, there are estimated to be about 125 more -- in your neighborhood, and everywhere else. There is no such thing as a "clean" neighborhood.</p>

<p>Mini, I'm sure that's true, but I park my car (to get the express bus) directly in front of the house of a man convicted of a violent rape with weapon. I park it there so Zoosergirl can pick walk over and pick up the car to go to work shen she's at home. I will now park elsewhere.</p>

<p>You are likely to be park in front of a house of man who may have committed an equally egregious event, but has not been convicted, and hence feels rather safe in committing another one.</p>

<p>"You are likely to be park in front of a house of man who may have committed an equally egregious event, but has not been convicted, and hence feels rather safe in committing another one."</p>

<p>Nah. I am going to park in front of the convent two stops up. There's nothing on the other side of the street, and the nuns are always out in the afternoon. I'm completely serious about this. It will involve a complicated (for me) left turn but it's worth it because nothing goes unnoticed in front of the convent.</p>

<p>
[quote]
For every one you see on the site, there are estimated to be about 125 more -- in your neighborhood, and everywhere else.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Actually, the statistic I saw was that for every one you see on the site, there are estimated to be about 12,500 more in your neighborhood (and that's true even if your neighborhood population is only a few hundred folks!).</p>

<p>The best advice? </p>

<p>Stay home, lock the door, turn out the lights, hold your breath.</p>

<p>Here's my best advice: Don't park your car in a fairly isolated area in front of the house of a violent sex offender.</p>

<p>zoosermom, great site and great advice!</p>

<p>WA State keeps its own offender registry:</p>

<p>WASPC:</a> Washington State Sex Offender Information Center</p>

<p>I checked, and there is no one right next to us (duh, we have more horses than people over here!), but a few blocks away there is a "peeping tom" (level II) and a child molester (that's a level III offense!). Great... I suspect GF/BF consensual sex turned rape will be a level I (leas likely to re-offend) and would not be listed. That's what mini probaly meant.</p>

<p>Level III: "These offenders pose a potential high risk to the community and are a threat to re-offend if provided the opportunity. Most have prior sex crime convictions as well as other criminal convictions. Their lifestyles and choices place them in this classification. Some have predatory characteristics and may seek out victims. They may have refused or failed to complete approved treatment programs."</p>

<p>Level II: "Level II offenders generally present a moderate risk to the community and they have a higher likelihood of re-offending than Level I offenders. They may be considered a Level II offender because of the nature of their previous crime(s). For some Level II offenders, lifestyle (drugs and alcohol abuse, other criminal activity) may influence their potential to re-offend. For others it may be that they have refused to participate or failed to complete approved treatment programs. Each trait does not necessarily apply to every Level II offender. For example, there are offenders classified Level II only because of the nature of their crime(s) while the other factors such as lifestyle and failure to complete treatment do not apply."</p>

<p>Level I: "These offenders present the lowest possible risk to the community and their likelihood to re-offend is considered minimal. They normally have not exhibited predatory type characteristics and most have successfully participated or are participating in approved treatment programs. Many are first time offenders."</p>

<p>Thanks, zoosermom. We have a convicted rapist the next street over! (Convicted 15 years ago, now about 65.)</p>

<p>There are 70,000 on-campus rapes and more than 500,000 sexual assaults that occur on U.S. college campuses each year, the vast overwhelming majority committed by college males.</p>

<p>Live and work with any male college graduates?</p>

<p>"There are 70,000 on-campus rapes and more than 500,000 sexual assaults that occur on U.S. college campuses each year, the vast overwhelming majority committed by college males.</p>

<p>Live and work with any male college graduates?"</p>

<p>Mini, why does this bother you so much, and clearly it does because of the baiting. If you're not interested, don't be interested.</p>

<p>I am "interested" when people think they are "protected" by measures that, in fact, may open themselves up to more harm as a result. The number of repeat offenses by folks on those websites are a MINISCULE (<1%) fraction of the number of new offenses committed by people who have never been charged, no less convicted. </p>

<p>When people rely on these lists, they are begging for rude surprises.</p>

<p>You may be right, MIni, in the grand scheme of things, but in MY specific circumstance, the man is in his early 40s and has a very serious conviction. I park in front of his house every day and my very attractive daughter picks up the car there, in a pretty isolated area. Now I know better. You may find percentages important, and I do too, but percentages are of cold comfort when it's your kid who's the 1%. I'm not comfortable dangling my daughter in front of this man and I'm glad of the information. Does that mean I will no longer be observant? No, but I'm going to inform my daughters of this particular man.</p>